PDA

View Full Version : Clicking, Grinding noises at lower gears only.

yyi
09-10-2011, 03:43 PM
Hi guys, I've been having some strange grinding/clicking noises coming from the driver's side recently. It happens when I step on the gas a little more than half way during first and second gears only. No problems shifting, clutch grabs fine. It happens more often on up hills and less on down hills; basically if i granny it, nothing is wrong, but when i driving it slightly hard, i get a really nasty noise.

I've recently put in an exedy OEM clutch about 3k miles ago, and this has been happening for about 500miles now. Does any one have any ideas? Or have dealt with something similar?

Edit: adding a list of symptoms I suppose.

- The noise is like metal to metal grinding.
- It only happens upon acceleration in lower gears (1 and 2). But not apparent when accelerating very very gently.
- No troubles when accelerating or cruising in higher gear
- It is exaggerated while going uphill and lessened when going downhill.
- There are no power losses, no slipping nor hesitation coming form the transmission.
- The fluids are okay and I changed it very recently just to be sure.
- When at a standstill idling, there are no abnormal noises with clutch in and clutch out (neutral gear).
- There are no differences with me turning left, right, or straight.
- I have tried to blip in neutral with clutch engaged (foot off pedal). and no such noise

yyi
09-11-2011, 08:02 AM
anybody?

it drives fine, but the progressively louder noises are really scaring me T__T

talonXracer
09-11-2011, 08:06 AM
It could be several things, the pressure plate going, pilot bushing, trans input bearing, CV's etc. Pull the wheel and start checking for any excess play.

yyi
09-11-2011, 09:04 AM
Thank you, I will look again tonight when i get a chance. I certainly hope I don't have to pull the transmission out again lol
. And also, the pressure plate is new, and so is the pilot bushing. Perhaps i wasn't liberal enough with the grease.

Just to add some more info I guess:

- The noise is like metal to metal grinding.
- It only happens upon acceleration in lower gears (1 and 2). But not apparent when accelerating very very gently.
- No troubles when accelerating or cruising in higher gear
- It is exaggerated while going uphill and lessened when going downhill.
- There are no power losses, no slipping nor hesitation coming form the transmission.
- The fluids are okay and I changed it very recently just to be sure.
- When at a standstill idling, there are no abnormal noises with clutch in and clutch out (neutral gear).
- There are no differences with me turning left, right, or straight.
- I have tried to blip in neutral with clutch engaged (foot off pedal). and no such noise

yyi
09-12-2011, 09:42 AM
pressure plate is new, pilot bushing also new, CV boots all visually checks out. trans input bearing....... i'd imagine you would need to crack the tranmission open for that. Also, the avid trans and rear mounts looks ripped up, and slightly pulled out of their hole. I'll post pics later.

Could it be possible that I was not liberal enough with applying grease? What is the worst case scenario for me if i keep driving it? The car still drives and shifts fine.

ep-unit
11-18-2011, 02:24 PM
I have the same problems but at higher speeds, I'm thinking it's my input shaft bearing, anyone know what cost would be to have the input shaft bearing replaced