PDA

View Full Version : Master/Slaver Cylinder, Flywheel, ISB/TO/Pilot Bearings questions

Jmage
09-11-2011, 09:49 AM
Hey! I'm getting closer and closer to have some work done in my tranny. I bought myself a new Exedy Stage 1 clutch kit and I still have some questions I need answer before buying other stuff and going ahead and have it done.

Pick any questions and answer your best!

1- I want to replace my Slave and Master cylinder at the same time as replacing the clutch and flywheel. Is it a good idea to replace all those things at the same time?

2- I want to get the ACT Streelite 11lbs flywheel but I'm afraid of the quality issue people had with ACT clutches. I'm also worried about using a ligther flywheel on snow/ice in winter, will it be really THAT harder to take off from a dead stop (when already spinning alot on stock flywheel)?

3- Some people said it's better to replace the Throwout Bearing with an OEM one instead of the one provided with the clutch kit because the OEM is plastic and it's... better? Any input on this? Should I order a Throwout Bearing from the dealer too?

4- My tranny makes noise when I'm on idle and while I DON'T press the clutch pedal (It goes away when I press the clutch to the floor). From what I heard it's the Input Shaft Bearing. I don't think I can hear it while driving tho... Is it worning out or our ISB are noisy like that?

5- What about the Pilot Bearing? Would it worth replacing it too? And is it something long/hard to do?

Thanks in advance, I know you want to answer one of these questions ;) And if you have the good/best parts number for the Bearings I would really like to have them!

P.S.: I'm on stock A3 with I/H/E see my member ride thread: Jmage's car (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?65640-Jmage-s-02-SiR-NO-Garage-Queen-here...)

talonXracer
09-11-2011, 10:04 AM
No need to swap out the slave master unless they are bad.

There is nothing wrong with the ACT flywheel, just have it balanced. The streetlite is a fantastic fly, same aprox weight as the DC5R fly.

Most kits use a factory throwout bearing, cant go wrong with OEM.

You cant check the ISB to say yeh or ney untill the trans is removed.

Always replace the pilot bushing(not a bearing) when you do clutch work.

I only purchase parts on-line from Hondapartsdeals, Majestic or Carland. I would never buy from a stealership's parts counter.

Jmage
09-11-2011, 07:24 PM
No need to swap out the slave master unless they are bad.

There is nothing wrong with the ACT flywheel, just have it balanced. The streetlite is a fantastic fly, same aprox weight as the DC5R fly.

Most kits use a factory throwout bearing, cant go wrong with OEM.

You cant check the ISB to say yeh or ney untill the trans is removed.

Always replace the pilot bushing(not a bearing) when you do clutch work.

I only purchase parts on-line from Hondapartsdeals, Majestic or Carland. I would never buy from a stealership's parts counter.

Thank you for your answers! I was hoping you would reply to my questions.

My master cylinder is squeaking alot, specially in winter when its cold. So I thought about replacing it and propely greasing the new one + I will get the CIvic EX CMC 46920-S5A-G04. I would change the slave as "prevention" and to be sure everything would be fine with my clutch pedal ( Slave # = 46930-S7C-E02 ).

I guess I'll go with the ACT flywheel and have it balanced like you said. I supose I can get this done in any kind of transmission shop right? I don't want to go below 10 lbs for a flywheel. At least not on my stock daily driven A3...

For the Throw-out bearing I will order the Acura RSX-S bearing #number 22810-PPT-003. For 35$ I'll just get it and let know everyone if it's the same.

As for the ISB, is the part# 91002-RAS-003 the good one? And also, how much long should it take to a shop to change it when the tranny is already out? For 26$ I guess I'll have it replaced too if it's not long.

Is 22103-PNA-003 the good part # for the Pilot Bushing? If so, I think there is one that came with the kit... Will use this one.

I do only purchase parts from online dealers in USA. But there is none in Canada. If I need a part that is 35$ I won't pay 30$ shipping + $$ customs fees for it, so I order in batch lol

Thanks again for your answer. Just wanna do it right and enjoy the most of it.

usedep3
09-11-2011, 07:31 PM
i say its a go on replacing the cmc with the ex version. i had a squeak form the oem ep3 one and i replaced it with a em2 one. no problems so far. it's been been a year since i replaced it so so far so good

as far as the slave cylinder, i agree with talon. replace it when you need to. it's pretty easy to replace and it's relatively easy to access esp if you dont have the oem airbox anymore.

Jmage
09-11-2011, 07:41 PM
i say its a go on replacing the cmc with the ex version. i had a squeak form the oem ep3 one and i replaced it with a em2 one. no problems so far. it's been been a year since i replaced it so so far so good

as far as the slave cylinder, i agree with talon. replace it when you need to. it's pretty easy to replace and it's relatively easy to access esp if you dont have the oem airbox anymore.

I'll def replace my master with the EX one!

What are the symptoms of a failing slave cylinder again? I read so much thing about all this in the past days can't remember correctly lol And like I said if I'm to order parts from USA then I'll get it to because it's cheaper and will save on shipping. I guess I could just keep it until my actual one fail...