PDA

View Full Version : Clunking Sound

SlidingSilvia14
09-12-2011, 07:22 PM
Hello,

I'm having some problems with my car. I have recently installed Megan Racing Coilovers and have had then on for about two weeks. They have been awesome I live out in the country and the roads are well paved. The coiloveres have made my Civic much more enjoyable to drive. This past weekend I went to visit a friend and on they way there the highways were very rough and when I arrived there I noticed that my car was making an unusual sound. The next morning when getting home I checked over my work with installing my suspension and notice nothing.

The problem that I'm having is that when I make low speed turn the front of my car is making a clicking or more of a clunking sound. After doing little research and what knowledge I have I looked more in depth at my CV joints. I realize that even if the boot is perfect it could be the lack of grease that could ruin a CV Joint, but I noticed that my ball joints are shot pretty well.

I'm wondering you guys have encountered this same problem and what your solution was to fixing the problem. In no way am I a mechanic I'm just looking for fellow enthusiast advice and help.

This a quick video I put together letting you hear the sound my car is making.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/mhill38/EP3/th_EP3.jpg (http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/mhill38/EP3/?action=view&current=EP3.mp4)

These are some pictures I have taken.

Passenger Side Ball Joint:
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/mhill38/EP3/IMG_31691.jpg

Passenger Side:
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/mhill38/EP3/IMG_31741.jpg

Driver Side Ball Joint:
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/mhill38/EP3/IMG_31721.jpg

Driver Side:
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/mhill38/EP3/IMG_31731.jpg

Thanks again for taking the time to look and help!

Michael

hyu
09-12-2011, 08:51 PM
Def weird... Also for the balljoints I ended up buying a new LCA with balljoints pressed in for $70 on ebay. Any local autostore quoted me like 55ish for a new balljoint having them press it is gonna be like another 25-50...

blueandgoldep3
09-12-2011, 09:30 PM
in my personally experience cv joints make more of a clicking than a clunking noise...ball usually clunk like that but usually over bumps tho lol you can check the cv joint fairly easily tho jack the car up and spin the wheels while there spinning get under and listen for noises... i had a creaking noise i was searching for weeks lol found out it was the rubber grommet that the spring sits in on my strut lol so it goes to show it could be anything just gotta go through the parts to see whats good and bad

sleepy ep3
09-13-2011, 05:46 AM
It's the motor. It's gonna explode.

RHCP0801
09-13-2011, 08:38 AM
your balljoints and axles look fine. The sound you hear is the spring rotating inside the perch which is why it only happens when you turn the wheel. Are you sure you indexed everything correctly and did you retighten everything after this trip? Lots of vibrations going on in that area which could have caused something to loosen up, probably gonna have to take the front suspension out of the car again

SlidingSilvia14
09-13-2011, 09:27 AM
your balljoints and axles look fine. The sound you hear is the spring rotating inside the perch which is why it only happens when you turn the wheel. Are you sure you indexed everything correctly and did you retighten everything after this trip? Lots of vibrations going on in that area which could have caused something to loosen up, probably gonna have to take the front suspension out of the car again

When I got home I went over most of everything making sure everything was tighten down, everything seemed good, But this would explain why some times it makes the sound and other times it does not. when you say "indexed" I'm not sure what this means. could you explain?

thanks for the help!

RedSiBaron
09-13-2011, 09:41 AM
Those ball joint boots look ripped. Its not your axles, they would pop or click, not clunk.

Id suggest also checking to make sure your sway bar end links are tight or damaged as those will clunk if loose. Also check your subframe bolts, if the subframe has been dropped ever on this car, they will then have a tendancy to loosen and need to be retorqued

sleepy ep3
09-13-2011, 10:34 AM
This is common with cheaper spring and coilover sets. They don't include the perch that allows the spring to rotate. Same think happened to me with my skunk 2 suspension. Switched to Tein's, no problems since

carrito
09-13-2011, 11:07 AM
i have a raceland set and i have the same problem in the passenger side, my mechanic checked the car and everything is fine and told me that no danger to drive like that...

RHCP0801
09-13-2011, 02:07 PM
Those ball joint boots look ripped. Its not your axles, they would pop or click, not clunk.

Id suggest also checking to make sure your sway bar end links are tight or damaged as those will clunk if loose. Also check your subframe bolts, if the subframe has been dropped ever on this car, they will then have a tendancy to loosen and need to be retorqued

endlinks and sway bar bushings make noise while going over bumps, not while turning

RedSiBaron
09-13-2011, 03:17 PM
endlinks and sway bar bushings make noise while going over bumps, not while turning

Not true, they will clunk while turning if loose, my hotchkis ones did it when they were loose.

RHCP0801
09-13-2011, 04:25 PM
stock ones never loosen up

02TWSI
09-13-2011, 07:26 PM

My stock ones clunk on turns...

RedSiBaron
09-13-2011, 07:46 PM

because you know that for a fact :mrolleyes:

they can also wear out or break...besides dude, who cares. its something easy for him to check that may be the culprit, but he also didnt mention if they were stock or not

SlidingSilvia14
09-14-2011, 06:05 AM
I just picked up some new ball joints and will be starting this on thursday and finishing on friday! I'll check the my end links and sway bar for good measure! I appreciate all the input. I'll keep you guys updated, thanks!

j0000stin
09-15-2011, 09:24 PM
it's the motor. It's gonna explode.

took. The. Words. Right. Out. Of. My. Mouth!

SlidingSilvia14
09-21-2011, 07:16 PM
Well I have replaced the Ball joints and double checked to make sure everything on the front suspension was tight. I don't get the Clunking sound, but when I had the new ball joints pressed by a local shop he had told me that my passenger hub bearing was bad. He showed me the play it had in it. Thinking that the bad bearing could be causing some of the weird sounds I'm having I think I'm going to look into getting that replaced.

Thanks for all the help,

Michael

Blah1219
09-22-2011, 02:04 PM
Well I have replaced the Ball joints and double checked to make sure everything on the front suspension was tight. I don't get the Clunking sound, but when I had the new ball joints pressed by a local shop he had told me that my passenger hub bearing was bad. He showed me the play it had in it. Thinking that the bad bearing could be causing some of the weird sounds I'm having I think I'm going to look into getting that replaced.

Thanks for all the help,

Michael

How much did they charge you to get the ball joints pressed in? I need to get my replaced. The EP is out side torn all apart so it would be a great time to do change the ball joints and lca bushings.

apexracing
10-01-2011, 08:31 AM

Thanks for all the help,

Michael

I was going to say bearing, i had a shop replace one with a timkin bearing, only to have it break two days later making a clunking sound around corners, it also destroyed my drive shaft by rubbing against it.