PDA

View Full Version : how do change thermostat

junevtec
09-12-2011, 08:10 PM
i mean i know how to change it but is there a easier way like over the top of the engine without taking out the intake manifold lol any easy way on doing it any tips will be appreciated.

i realized i wrote how =DO=
change the thermostat my mistake

junevtec
09-13-2011, 07:51 AM
anybody please i need some help with this my car so low i dont have jackstands to get under there thats why i ask if there is a easier way

RHCP0801
09-13-2011, 08:31 AM
take the bumper and pass headlight out, might be able to get access from there, alternator might have to be removed first...not sure

junevtec
09-13-2011, 09:00 AM
Thats what i was thinking but damn honda should of put this thing somewhere more accesible lol thanks man

junevtec
09-13-2011, 09:17 AM
Can i drive the car fine without the thermostat in i used to do it on my b18c1 civic it just took alot longer to heat up and for the heater to start working is it ok on the k20a3

RHCP0801
09-13-2011, 02:08 PM
I would drive it at least as possible

PREJDMLUDE
09-13-2011, 05:22 PM
Just buy some jack stands and change it from under the car it's way easier.

jgn6848
09-14-2011, 08:25 PM
yes ... you can drive with a faulty thermostat but you will get a P0128 CEL (ECU detected engine is taking too long to get to operation temperature) ...but this will not affect driveability .... u just get crapy mpg because your engine is always operating cold
I changed mine 2 weeks ago and it took 2 hours only.
Do yourself a favor and buy jackstands (easiest way to replace the thermostat is from under the car.. trust me)

The process is easy (you dont have to remove the bumper or the passenger headlight):
Tools needed are: pliers and 10mm wrench.. thats all (trust me thats all you need)
1) Jack the front of the car and secure it on jack stands
2) drain the radiator using drain plug
3)disconnect the lower radiator hose (use pliers to loosen the clamps)
4) unscrew the three 10mm screws holding the thermostat housing (use 10mm wrench)
5) pull the thermostat housing (some coolant will leak out .. about half a cup)
6) replace with new thermostat (make sure rubber seal is well seated)
7) Replace screws, connect lower hose and fill with fresh coolant.. and you are done ...that it!

junevtec
09-14-2011, 08:39 PM
jgn6848 thanks my dude thats the exact info i needed to hear im doing it this weekend its not messed up im just doing maintnance on the car also my fan its not kicking on and im getting a code p0117 ect sensor code could that sensor be faulty or something else cause thisplus the engine doesnt overheat but it feels hot like not normal hot but hot

MattG80
09-15-2011, 11:45 AM
If you wanna start doing DIY's then your gonna have to break down and buy some jack stands bro. If your car is hella low then get 2 pieces of wood and drive up on em. Then get your jack under the car. Just my .02

junevtec
09-15-2011, 05:42 PM
well i have some but the ramps u drive up too not the other kind that u adjust but i guess u are right besides u can never had enough tools thanks for the advice dude.