PDA

View Full Version : Who wants to help me build my motor?!

Tortoise
09-17-2011, 12:16 AM
So long story short, bought a k24a2 that i was told had 60,000 miles.. Ran a carfax and it was taken out of the tsx at 150,000 and replaced and the car is still on the road so im guessing the motor is beat...lucky me.

Im just gonna rebuild it better i guess. Anybody wanna help me get a parts list together? Ill list what i have and what i need. Thanks guys!

All i have is supertech daul 80# springs ,seats, and retainers with valve seals
Should i get the supertech stock sized valves and guides? Also what cams should i run with that valvetrain? I want the most aggressive i can go with 80# springs.

Now for the bottom end idk what i wanna do but i know i dont want stock. Any reccomendations? And what is stock piston size on an 04 and should i do oversized if im gonna do 12.5:1? will that compression he streetable? Also what bearings and and studs do i need for the bottom end? Im plannin on leaving the crank stock maybe just a micropolish.

Also should i do a cometic headgasket and arp studs? Please help me out guys! This is my first build.

boricua4life
09-17-2011, 07:43 AM
lol im in the same boat as you are. i should start my on thread soon.... i would definetly opt for the ARP studs also i would get a z3 oilpump/pan it flows better. if you want oem quality i would get 06+ cams/pistons/rods if yours are beat to hell... youve got a good motor there so dont spend money where you dont have to you know.... what is your final goal?N/A?Turbo?S/C? put that in consideration when biulding it

Blah1219
09-17-2011, 09:53 AM
If you are daily driving it, I would stay with the OEM with 06+ cams. 12.5 comp just doesn't sound healthy at all in a daily drivin car.

I was looking around on the cosmetic headgaskets since I was thinking about going with a thinner gasket to bump the comp., and I ran into a thread that they stated it caused problems in the tuning.

Im going with ARP headstuds and rod bolts.

Tortoise
09-17-2011, 01:21 PM
Thanks guys. I just want a fast all motor daily car. Im not really gonna pick anything up from the 06+ pistons. Would 11:1 be more reliable than 12.5:1 and what is the stock piston size?

j0000stin
09-17-2011, 01:27 PM
get a full gasket kit. they dont run too much

bchaney
09-17-2011, 05:08 PM
That sucks man, sorry to hear that.

If you want to do a fully built engine, I suggest you read up on k20a.org - there are a ton of ppl there with engine building experience.

The compression ratio doesn't affect streetability besides that you can't find race gas on your commute to work every day. If you really don't want stock internals you could prob run 12.5:1 pistons on pump gas. Personally I would just get a new set of rings for the TSX pistons. With any forged pistons you're going to have to warm them up / allow them to expand before you start driving or they could cause some damage and def won't last as long as a cast piston. Either way, you need to get your block measured before you decide on piston size. If you buy pistons and then find out your block needs to be bored out, you're in trouble.

Honda bearings are the only way to go and ARP studs are much better than stock. The TSX crank is a high quality crank - I would get it balanced with your pistons/rods/CP/fly/pressure plate. I would go OEM headgasket as well since there is no advantage to an aftermarket one.