PDA

View Full Version : Auto tensioner pulley question

hueyhy
09-20-2011, 01:52 PM
I just replaced my belt and auto tensioner pulley. I just loosen the pulley bolt, and then put the new pulley on. I didn't see a nut during the work. But according to this picture(from the manual), there's a nut behind the auto tensioner. Did I miss something?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2311593/tensioner%20pulley.png

Another question is that when I tighten the pulley, I can only tighten it to the torque that the tensioner starts to move. Is that enough? is there a good way to tighten it more, while not removing the auto tensioner?

Thanks.

RHCP0801
09-20-2011, 02:21 PM
either it is still there or it fell, mine fell off and landed on the backside of the pulley below it and took me forever to find it lol. Get a pry bar or something that you can wedge in there to prevent it from moving, just don't over tighten it

hueyhy
09-20-2011, 03:09 PM
either it is still there or it fell, mine fell off and landed on the backside of the pulley below it and took me forever to find it lol. Get a pry bar or something that you can wedge in there to prevent it from moving, just don't over tighten it

Thinking of putting somthing on the way of the pulley, but afraid of deform the pulley. if it is not round, i'm afraid it would be very bad...
have been driving it for like 5 miles back home, not sure if the nut is still there....

RHCP0801
09-20-2011, 03:35 PM
your gonna need an incredible amount of force to deform the pulley

TheKone
09-20-2011, 04:03 PM
The nut sits in a hexagonal recess that holds it like a wrench so you can just turn the bolt which makes it easy. You should put something behind the nut like a rag just to make sure it doesn't fall out when the bolt comes out. When you tighten the bolt the tensioner will start to rotate against the spring before you reach your torque value. This is normal. You will have to allow the tensioner to rotate until it hits its stop and then the bolt will continue to turn after that. Continue until your torque value is reached.

hueyhy
09-20-2011, 04:44 PM
your gonna need an incredible amount of force to deform the pulley
How tight should the pulley be? I tried to rotate the tensioner pulley when the belt is off, it's not that free. can only rotate less than half cycle
the idler pulley is much more free to rotate.
Not sure if I overtightened the tensioner pulley. but the belt is running fine when the engine is on.