PDA

View Full Version : DC5R suspension w/ brembo calipers on 03 EP3

fuel53
09-21-2011, 03:54 PM
Hey guys I've looked through the sight and couldn't find anyone who has put a DC5R suspension that has brembo brakes from factory on there EP3. I've found a good set that comes with the whole suspension setup for $600. At the sametime I was going to add the front and rear USDM DC5 Type S swaybars on. Has anyone done this before? I've looked on other sights and all I see is the Type S setup on a EP3, but no one has done the same setup with the factory brembo brakes. Give me your imput please. :msmile:

MugenReplica
09-21-2011, 04:41 PM
Phew, this is going to be a long one....

1) Does it include EVERYTHING? (axles, front and rear control arms, both set of usable calipers, both sets of usable rotors, a set of high offset (read 55mm offset or there abouts) rims, emergency brake cable, etc.???

2) Are you 4 lug or 5 lug?

3) Do you have a DC5 master cylinder included for brake bias?

4) Do they come with usable pads (aka not glazed or unusable?)

5) Once again, axles, axles, axles......

6) answer these questions and we'll move on from there.

Personally, I'd love to go with a full ITR setup, but the high offset rims and axles have steered me away from there. If you can however get the FRONT lower control arms, King Motorsport inserts and proper ball joints, the Brembo calipers/pads are usuable, along with S2000 rotors, than I think you'd be golden.

boricua4life
09-21-2011, 05:29 PM
I was going to do this but i decided it was to much pain in the ass. i wish i could do it just too much labor involved plus i had to give up my ep3r wheels since it was going to be tucked....you need a 60+ offset... but i know two guys here have made the swap one of them is spartan and the other is mage182 i think... you should hit them up

fuel53
09-22-2011, 06:05 AM
I was going to do this but i decided it was to much pain in the ass. i wish i could do it just too much labor involved plus i had to give up my ep3r wheels since it was going to be tucked....you need a 60+ offset... but i know two guys here have made the swap one of them is spartan and the other is mage182 i think... you should hit them up

1) Does it include EVERYTHING? (axles, front and rear control arms, both set of usable calipers, both sets of usable rotors, a set of high offset (read 55mm offset or there abouts) rims, emergency brake cable, etc.???

2) Are you 4 lug or 5 lug?

3) Do you have a DC5 master cylinder included for brake bias?

4) Do they come with usable pads (aka not glazed or unusable?)

5) Once again, axles, axles, axles......

6) answer these questions and we'll move on from there.

Personally, I'd love to go with a full ITR setup, but the high offset rims and axles have steered me away from there. If you can however get the FRONT lower control arms, King Motorsport inserts and proper ball joints, the Brembo calipers/pads are usuable, along with S2000 rotors, than I think you'd be golden.

***boricua4life: Thanks for the info. I wanted to do this setup and was hoping there was someone who has already done it. I'll hit up the guys you meantioned.

***MugenReplica: I have a 4 lug setup on my '03. The setup up I'm looking at comes with everything except DC5 Type S master cylinder, axles, swaybars and tierod ends. I was going to purchase all of these since I can get them for cheap. Everything was going to be OEM spec, so no aftermarket parts. I was told that as long as I have a K series in my car that I don't need axles. Is this still true?

MugenReplica
09-22-2011, 06:22 AM
***boricua4life: Thanks for the info. I wanted to do this setup and was hoping there was someone who has already done it. I'll hit up the guys you meantioned.

***MugenReplica: I have a 4 lug setup on my '03. The setup up I'm looking at comes with everything except DC5 Type S master cylinder, axles, swaybars and tierod ends. I was going to purchase all of these since I can get them for cheap. Everything was going to be OEM spec, so no aftermarket parts. I was told that as long as I have a K series in my car that I don't need axles. Is this still true?

So it's a FULL suspension swap. You have the struts (DC5R struts/springs ride alot like Ep3 Mugen SS) and DC5R rims as well?

Yes, you will and do need the DC5R axles if you are converting from 4 lug to the 5 lug DC5R setup and are using the DC5R hubs.

It's a great setup on Ep3s or DC5's, so I encourage you to do it, just make sure you have everything before you start.

MugenReplica
09-22-2011, 06:47 AM
This should answer about 95% of your questions and anything I am not sure of......

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?46698-ITR-Brembo-swap/page1

fuel53
09-23-2011, 09:22 AM
This should answer about 95% of your questions and anything I am not sure of......

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?46698-ITR-Brembo-swap/page1

Thanks MugenReplica!!!!! I've been looking at this setup for awhile and it seems to be the best setup.

fuel53
09-26-2011, 05:27 AM
Well I've picked up the JDM DC5R Brembo setup for my EP3. I actually got a deal on it since the guy gave me extra parts like the rear swaybar and end links. Now I have the brake setup, half shafts, rear swaybar, Tie rod end links and springs/ struts. The only thing I need to get now is Rims and a front swaybar from a USDM DC5 Type S. Of course I'm going to refurbish some of the bushings on the setup while I have it off the car. Thanks everyone for all your help and links. If you have any questions or comments feel fre to say them. When I get done I'll post a better Tutorial then the one I got. Thanks again....

DA9_GSR
09-26-2011, 02:00 PM
I have a 2003 USDM EP3. I converted to DC5 Base 5 bolt suspension. I originally chose the base RSX conversion because it uses the same 32mm axle splines. After installing the K20A, I want to convert to JDM DC5-R brembo's. I lap my EP3 and find the brakes to be lacking. I also noticed that after installing the slightly longer DC5 A Spec suspension I can't seem to dial more than -1.5° camber up front. My logic is to install the wider DC5-R front aluminum LCA's to get more negative camber. It's to my understanding that I require the following to make this work properly and look completely OEM without cutting, hacking, or rigging anything to make it fit.

DC5-R Brembo Conversion

- DC5-R aluminum front lower control arms
- DC5-R front knuckles [must use for balljoint shaft to fit into DC5R LCA's (14mm nut)]
- DC5-R front Brembo calipers
- DC5-R front Brembo rotors and pads
- DC5-R front axles (are longer to accomodate wider DC5R LCA's)
- DC5-R front sway bar (is longer to accomodate wider DC5R LCA's)
- DC5-S / EP3 front sway bar end links (recommended use for DC5R sway bar)
- DC5-R exhaust manifold / catalytic (must use to clear DC5R sway bar)
- DC5-R brake booster
- DC5-R brake master cylinder
- DC5-R proportionning valve

*notes*
- DC5 ITR uses wheels with a 60mm offset.
- recommend buying 60mm offset wheels to clear DC5 ITR brembo's or;
- recommend alignment specs below to clear both front and rear fenders

Alignment
Front
1.0° caster
-2.0° camber
0.0° toe (recommended for tire savings)

Rear
-1.0° camber
0.0° toe (recommended for tire savings)

fuel53
09-27-2011, 03:09 PM
DA9_GSR it looks like your setup should work nicely once you get it in. If you have to take a look at the link that was posted by MugenReplica on this thread to help you with your install of your setup. Please post how everything works when you get it together. I'll have mine on in about two weeks. Thus giving me time to refurbish everything to my standards.

fuel53
10-23-2011, 07:05 AM
Ok! I been trying to get all the replacement parts needed to refurbish this setup. I've got everything except lower ball joints, brake lines, ABS lines. The calipers I got had the clear coat coming off of them, so I'm trying to figure out what to do. I found that the 02-06 Acura TL Type S has the same calipers, but in black. In that case when I need parts or brake pads I'll go there. I've tried talking to Brembo and they took two weeks to respond to my email. If anyone has a link to a sight that sells the OEM JDM DC5R parts let me know or just post it up. After I get all that ironed out I'll get rims. Not sure if I want to get this really nice set of JDM DC5R rims with tires for $600 or just go out and get what I really want.

o2ep3
01-29-2012, 08:09 AM
whats the status did you get everything in and working. i want to do this setup after i put my motor in.

eP3RoyaLTy
02-02-2012, 07:06 AM
Brake and abs lines should be the same... As for the wheels it's mor than just "offset" you need to remember that the width and height of wheel need to be factored in as well as tyre size and what kinda "look" you are going for (hellaflush or functional or wider stance or wider tyre patch etc)...

My first set of wheels on my dc5r set up were 17x7 +35 n I ran a 215/45 tyre all around with a pretty nice drop but had to camber the front and rear a little to get the wheels to tuck enough so I didn't have to worry about messin anything up and not too much to look like it was fallin off and I had my rear fenders rolled

Also dc5r axles are the longest axels for k series type-s isn't that much shorter but it makes a difference... If your gunna track/push your car go/stay with dc5r if your just cruisin/daily/just for looks type s will work as I have used both (I keep my dc5r on but have a set of type s for back up and yes I have had to use them)

SHG_EasyE
02-18-2012, 09:23 AM

You dont NEED high offset wheels to clear anything, its just the OEM spec. There are planty of guys running all kinds of widths and offsets with the DC5R calipers. They are pretty small for a 4 piston so they clear just about anything.

Also, I would recommend against using S2000 rotors. The are 4mm smaller in diameter than the DC5R rotors so you will have the top edge of your pad hanging over the outside edge of the rotor which will badly groove the pads.

Well I've picked up the JDM DC5R Brembo setup for my EP3. I actually got a deal on it since the guy gave me extra parts like the rear swaybar and end links. Now I have the brake setup, half shafts, rear swaybar, Tie rod end links and springs/ struts. The only thing I need to get now is Rims and a front swaybar from a USDM DC5 Type S. Of course I'm going to refurbish some of the bushings on the setup while I have it off the car. Thanks everyone for all your help and links. If you have any questions or comments feel fre to say them. When I get done I'll post a better Tutorial then the one I got. Thanks again....

If youre using the DC5 R control arms, (which should be used when running DC5R axles) you will not be able to run a USDM sway bar. It is about 4" narrower than the JDM part and will not reach the endlink mounts on the arms.

SHG_EasyE
02-18-2012, 09:35 AM
I have a 2003 USDM EP3. I converted to DC5 Base 5 bolt suspension. I originally chose the base RSX conversion because it uses the same 32mm axle splines. After installing the K20A, I want to convert to JDM DC5-R brembo's. I lap my EP3 and find the brakes to be lacking. I also noticed that after installing the slightly longer DC5 A Spec suspension I can't seem to dial more than -1.5° camber up front. My logic is to install the wider DC5-R front aluminum LCA's to get more negative camber. It's to my understanding that I require the following to make this work properly and look completely OEM without cutting, hacking, or rigging anything to make it fit.

DC5-R Brembo Conversion

- DC5-R aluminum front lower control arms
- DC5-R front knuckles [must use for balljoint shaft to fit into DC5R LCA's (14mm nut)]
- DC5-R front Brembo calipers
- DC5-R front Brembo rotors and pads
- DC5-R front axles (are longer to accomodate wider DC5R LCA's)
- DC5-R front sway bar (is longer to accomodate wider DC5R LCA's)
- DC5-S / EP3 front sway bar end links (recommended use for DC5R sway bar)
- DC5-R exhaust manifold / catalytic (must use to clear DC5R sway bar)
- DC5-R brake booster
- DC5-R brake master cylinder
- DC5-R proportionning valve

Youre correct in that the arms will give you a wider track and more camber. But id like to clear up a few things with your list. -You dont need the DC5R knuckles to work with the LCA's. You can either use 05-06 Type S parts (have the same ball joint as DC5R) or use the King Motorsports inserts for the control arms which allow you to use the smaller 02-04 Type S ball joints. Also, if you dont plan on running the knuckles for other reasons, you can run stock Type S axles with DC5R aluminum arms with no issue. Ive been daily driving and tracking on mine for over 2 years now with no issue. Finally, you also don't need the DC5R manifold to clear the sway bar. Im using a stock TypeS manifold and cat which clears my DC5R sway bar perfectly with tons of room.

Ok! I been trying to get all the replacement parts needed to refurbish this setup. I've got everything except lower ball joints, brake lines, ABS lines. The calipers I got had the clear coat coming off of them, so I'm trying to figure out what to do. I found that the 02-06 Acura TL Type S has the same calipers, but in black. In that case when I need parts or brake pads I'll go there. I've tried talking to Brembo and they took two weeks to respond to my email. If anyone has a link to a sight that sells the OEM JDM DC5R parts let me know or just post it up. After I get all that ironed out I'll get rims. Not sure if I want to get this really nice set of JDM DC5R rims with tires for $600 or just go out and get what I really want.

The Acura TL brakes and DC5R brakes are actually different. The whole caliper is different. They are not interchangeable in that the mounting offset and pad size is different. The DC5R calipers are the same internally as STi/350Z brembos, so use parts for those calipers when rebuilding. TL calipers are the same internally as EV0 8+9 calipers.

eP3RoyaLTy
03-02-2012, 09:00 PM
^some good info... thanks SHG

PREJDMLUDE
05-25-2012, 09:22 PM
dwayne at speed star racing had it on his ep3 call him.

DA9_GSR
05-26-2012, 04:34 AM
Honda Integra DC5 brake proportionning valve
46210-S5A-812

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/1746/25052012055358pm.png

Can be found on USDM 04-07 Honda Accord LX, SE, and DX w/ 4cyl.

#6 in the picture (http://www.hondapartscheap.com/find-parts/Honda/ACCORD/2007/2DR%20LX/KA5AT/BRAKE%20LINES%20(ABS))

DA9_GSR
05-26-2012, 05:44 AM
I just sourced out the last part I needed to complete the JDM DC5 ITR brake conversion, the brake proportionning valve.
Oddly enough, it cross references directly from the 04-07 Honda Accord 4 cyl. I've got:

- DC5 ITR front LCA's
- DC5 ITR front sway bar
- DC5 ITR axles
- DC5 ITR steering knuckles
- DC5 ITR Brembo calipers
- DC5 ITR Brembo brake rotors (45251-S6M-J61)
- DC5 ITR Brembo brake pads (45022-S6M-J52)
- DC5 ITR brake booster
- DC5 ITR brake master cylinder
- DC5 ITR brake proportionning valve (46510-S5A-812)