PDA

View Full Version : Finally Got Pics of My 02 SiR with 99 SiR Rims......

JSIR
01-01-2003, 04:32 PM
For anyone that was interested when this topic was brought up a few weeks ago, I finally got some pics of the car, with 99 SiR rims. I like them, they look a bit better than my stock rims, they have a bit of shine to them. Got them mounted with Yokohama AVS ES100 tires, overall weight savings is 2 lbs per wheel/tire combo. compared to my stock used (30% worn tires) wheels - not bad . Have a few other pics incluced in this link.

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b332f2496546

Joey

Suk02Si
01-01-2003, 06:06 PM
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b3df20b3127cce936bd5f4a25f0000000410
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b3df20b3127cce936bd5f0a25b0000000410
wow, fits the car nicely. I was thinking of getting a set and powder coating them black.

thaipinoy1
01-01-2003, 06:30 PM
Is your car lowered at all? I cant tell.

JSIR
01-01-2003, 09:22 PM
I've dropped the ride with Eibach Pro-kits, about 1.5" max. , mild drop, pretty much what I want.

The new rims are still pretty conservative looking, as stock Honda wheels, they don't have that aftermarket look to them, but kind of stand out more than our stock rims due to the polished finish on them.

gpt
01-02-2003, 10:43 AM
JSIR how do you like the tires - do they feel better than stock? Do you have the pictures of the contact patch you mentioned in a previous post. I want to upgrade my tires, but I really want to make sure it is worth the money to do so.

Thanks for all your help so far!
Graham

31102si
01-02-2003, 11:24 AM
They look good but I still like the 02 si stock rims better. Maybe I am just used to seeing them I don't know but I like them.

IceD out N CALI
01-02-2003, 12:09 PM
since they're still honda wheels they look stock-just a different stock look

Will2K2
01-02-2003, 12:56 PM
More info on Tires please

Size, noise levels compared to stock, etc..etc....

Where did you get them Yoko Dealers here in Ottawa claim they can't get them for me

W

civic hatch boi
01-02-2003, 02:42 PM
dang, you need to drop your car.

JSIR
01-02-2003, 04:12 PM
I am very pleased with the tires, I stuck with the stock 195/60-15 size to keep weight down and I didn't want to increase wheel well gap any more by going with 205-55-15 or something like that. Yokohama AVS-ES100's are one of the few good tires in stock size as well.

I can tell you the contact patch is much better than our stock tires, if you ever get down behind the rear wheel and have a good look at how much of the stock tire actaully touches the ground you will be surprised, only about 5 inches of the full width touches, a very round tire. The Yokohamas have a good 6 inches touching, so 1 inch bigger contact patch acts like a wider tire. This is all compared to the stock tires. I chose these over the Khumo 712's and I am very happy with that decision. I guess there are other tires that are better such as Toyo T1s, Bridgestone SO-3, BF Goodrich KD's, Khumo MX, but they are all much more expensive and limited tire sizes.

These tires handle very nicely, very quiet (quiet as stock), no squeal yet, sidewalls are stiffer than stock, nice ride. These are pretty light tires compared to the competition and still have a good sidewall. The new Yokes are only 1-2 lbs heavier than 30% worn stock tires, which isn't bad considering the stiffer sidewalls. Other tires like Bridgestones are closer to 4-5 lbs heavier than stock tires.

I would say these tires are close to the Bridgestone 730's in comparason which I had on my last car, at lower cost. You can't beat them for $68, nothing in their price range comes close. The Falken Azenis are better performers but they are more of a racetrack tire.

The rims like I said are very conservative stock looking rims, personally I don't like our stock rims. I prefer the polished look of the 99 SiR rims compared to the silver look of our stock rims. Plus you get some weight savings.

The drop is perfect for me, like I said many times, I don't like that slammed look, plus I plan to keep the stock shocks working for a long time.

Will2K2, don't waste your time with Canadian suppliers when it comes to any parts , tires included. I got my tires from Tirerack, ordered on-line, delivered to me in 7 days. Tires were $68 US each, shipping was $15 Us each tire. When the tires arrived at the border I paid $45 Cdn each tire for brokerage fees, GST, PST, duties. In Canadian funds the tires cost me $170 each in total which included shipping, taxes, duties, broker fees. I am pretty satisfied with them, if you were to find them in Canada they wouldnt be less than $200 each plus taxes. Tire rack has them in stock.

Here is the link to the tires at Tirerack

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp?startIndex=0&width=195%2F&ratio=60&diameter=15&search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&do=Search&performance=UHP&manufacturer=Yokohama

I just saw you can get the Yokohama intermediates for $45 as they are being discontinued, very cheap price, but tire isn't as good as the new AVS-ES100.

hth

Will2K2
01-02-2003, 06:35 PM
Yeah I've had AVS int before, very sticky but didn't last long at all.

Funny that you used the Tirerack that was where I got my AVS back when they were the only ones carrying 195/45/15 (for another car of mine)

Thanks for the report

W

gpt
01-02-2003, 07:06 PM
JSIR thanks for the feedback again!:D

IceD out N CALI
01-02-2003, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by gpt
JSIR thanks for the feedback again!:D

yeah nice write up, i may jus go your route as far as tires are concerned

JSIR
01-02-2003, 07:25 PM
in my link I took a picture of the rear end with different tires on either side of the car, but the picture was hard to see , so you can't see much difference in the stock tires vs. Yokes AVS ES-100s width wise. maybe I can try to take some closer pics of the two tires on the car.

JSIR
01-02-2003, 08:18 PM
okay, for the guys that wanted to see pics of the stock tires vs. Yokohama AVS ES-100's in terms of contact patch details, here are two pics , best I could do.

If you look closely at the two edges of the tires where they meet the concrete floor , you should be able to discern the difference in how they contact the ground. The yokes offer a decent increase in that regard. The stock tires are pretty round at the edges, the yokes are flatter. I estimate a good inch is gained in contact between the stock tires and the yokes. Thus you have two tires of the same width rating but they offer different contact with the road. Combined with a stiffer sidewall, this should result in better handling. The stock tires would roll too much in order to get more contact with the road in a corner. The left side of the car is on a bit of a tilt due to the slope of the garage floor so the stock tire is slightly tilted but it still works.

This is the link to the two pics.:

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b332beb8e4a1&notag=1