PDA

View Full Version : Stereo Won't Turn on...

StimulisRK
09-23-2011, 09:05 PM
The previous owners system was stolen, so when I bought the car, he gave me an old JVC deck to put in. I know the JVC works and the cable harness is wired correctly becuase we hooked it up to a power supply in an electrical lab at school and it turned on fine.
But when I hook it up to the cable coming out of my center console (what is that called?) nothing happens.

My friend says that somehow the cable isn't getting power and we can re-wire it and solder it to an ignition coil (i think thats what he said)?

Could something have happened when the previous owners system was stolen? Anything I should look for?

junevtec
09-23-2011, 09:25 PM
Just connect the yellow and red wire together on the jvc to a 12v source on your car like under the steering colum you will find the 12 v lead the only downfall is when u set a station like your presets will erase everytime u turn the radio off

Euro-Yellow-Ep3
09-23-2011, 10:17 PM
did u check the fuse, sometimes its something simple

StimulisRK
09-24-2011, 07:38 AM
did u check the fuse, sometimes its something simple

I'm new to this kind of stuff; you mean in the fuse box right? What should I look for in there? I know the supports of the fuse box are cracked and its kinda just hangin on one, so I could see something being wrong with it maybe

McTaggart34
09-24-2011, 09:10 AM
is there a fuse on the back of the deck ? maybe you blew that ?

StimulisRK
09-24-2011, 09:29 AM
is there a fuse on the back of the deck ? maybe you blew that ?

Yeah theres a fuse in there, 15A.

Euro-Yellow-Ep3
09-24-2011, 05:36 PM
check the fuse on the deck and in the fuse panel, make sure they fit snug and make a good connection.

Mighty_Mouse_Ep
09-24-2011, 08:25 PM
If all the radio fuses are good check the fuse under the hood labeled back up it is a 7.5 amp fuse

McTaggart34
09-24-2011, 08:54 PM
If non of the above works and Im sure it will and its a fuse.

Take the deck out and hook it up right to the battery. + to + - to - :D just sayin mmk

StimulisRK
09-24-2011, 09:27 PM
Thanks guys. So just pull the corresponding fuse out and I should be able to see if it melted through the middle, right? What about the underneath the steering column, theres a fuse panel down there too. Does that one interact with the sound system?

junevtec
09-25-2011, 12:56 AM
Yup the fuse under the steering colum it should be labeled as radio