PDA

View Full Version : Odd sound while braking..

Postman158
09-25-2011, 10:07 PM
I hope this is the correct forum to post this in. If not, please correct me. I have an odd sound coming from my front end when I brake at slow speeds (<10mph) and I think only in 1st gear. I believe I hear it more when I'm making a slight turn (ie. pulling into my driveway, parking in a parking stall etc..) It sounds like something is grinding. I did just install my Mugen rep lip, but I don't think that would have anything to do with it. Could my breaks be almost worn down?

Also, since my car is pretty low and there's a TON of construction on highway 99, I hit those unavoidable bumps pretty hard. I even try and get into the slow lane and do 55 (if even possible) to ease the impact. I know for a fact those bumps are hitting my subframe super hard, because its extremely loud. Heres a possibility?

I'm also noticing maybe a drop a day leak right about under where my oil filter is. I changed my oil myself (always do myself) about 3 weeks go. I'm gonna check my oil filter tomorrow morning before I go to work to see if it's leaking. This may have absolutely nothing to do with the sound though, but again, just throwing out possibilities.

My "Maintenance Required" light is also flashing only a few times once I start up my car. I think I read somewhere that this is normal, even if everything is going fine on your car. That it acts as a reminder for a "check-up", and soon it will no longer blink but stay lit.

I'm hoping someone has had the same problem, and/or knows the remedy!

Thanks,

Postman

Rasy
09-26-2011, 10:05 AM
I personally haven't experienced what you've been through, but I would check the brake pads, suspension boots, and the oil pan gasket (since you mentioned a slight leak) to make sure everything is intact.

Also, you should have someone else pull up very carefully into the driveway, so you can pinpoint the sound outside the car after replicating it.

andyman97
09-26-2011, 10:10 AM
I'm having a very similar problem and although I haven't diagnosed it yet, my bet is on the front motor mount and/or lower control arm compliance bushings being torn. Let us know what you find.

hyu
09-26-2011, 10:10 AM
I had that same sound on the right passenger side. Found out it was a torn boot on my axle and replaced it. The sound is gone now

Postman158
09-26-2011, 12:42 PM
I had that same sound on the right passenger side. Found out it was a torn boot on my axle and replaced it. The sound is gone now

I was thinking it might be the axle. Was the sound only at really slow speeds while braking and turning simultaneously?