PDA

View Full Version : Custom gauge cluster

Reaper27
09-26-2011, 09:15 AM
Ok so I was messing around online and saw where some ZR! vette owners had put together some custom gauge clusters for their cars with the Speedo, tach, water temp, oil temp, boost (for those that had turbo), air temp, etc and it looked pretty bad ass. So I was wondering if anyone had done this on an EP? I've looked around and online but haven't found anything like aftermarket speedos, tachs, or clusters really. The only luck I had was with autometer and I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about them. I was kinda hoping to find something along the lines of defi but no luck. I've seen a lot of the electronic and LCD display set ups but I don't really want to spend 2k on a dash cluster haha. Idk, this was just a thought.

bearcat91
09-27-2011, 07:51 AM
http://www.silverimageracing.com/pd_02.cfm

pretty cool...

Reaper27
09-27-2011, 08:54 AM
Those aren't bad at all but I wonder how you install them? Are they just a stick on thing or is it that actual gauges? Anyone on here used them before?

RHCP0801
09-27-2011, 09:19 AM
they look to be stick on, they go right over the stock cluster

Reaper27
09-27-2011, 10:05 AM
:-/, not too sure about that. Especially for $85, it may look cheap or cheesy

bearcat91
09-27-2011, 01:18 PM
idk if its stick on or a replacement to original cluster face...

Ba82Ep3
09-27-2011, 01:33 PM
Its a faceplate that sits over top of your existing faceplates. This may mean removing the needles from your gauges. You will also have to wire it up for it to work. This means taking your gauge cluster completely apart.

I had some of these in the cluster of my EJ when i bought it. It was one of the first things i took out of the car!

RHCP0801
09-27-2011, 01:53 PM
idk if its stick on or a replacement to original cluster face...

its not a replacement, its an overlay because you can still see the stock cluster behind it. This just covers up the rpm's, mph, gas and temp

Reaper27
09-27-2011, 02:10 PM
Ok I don't want an overlay. I was wanting a new custom cluster. Like buying the cluster (the thing that holds the gauges in place), a née speedo (something along the lines of a defi style), new tach etc. I was thinking it would be cool to have the cluster match my pod on the side when I boost. Is this possible? I really don't understand why it wouldn't be

AKEP
09-27-2011, 04:32 PM
Something tells me its not worth it... i mean it would be a full on custom cluster. gotta make it.

you could start by buying another ep cluster and hacking the back off and finding a way to make a backing, and fit the gauges into that...add lights for EPS and CEL, etc.

Reaper27
09-27-2011, 07:38 PM
Ok, so I guess one of the main questions that I'm asking is is there an aftermarket cluster made buy anyone so I wouldn't have to make one?

AKEP
09-27-2011, 10:47 PM
no. there was a blacked out version from another civic (check the interior forum) that was PnP into ours.

JJay.
09-27-2011, 11:16 PM
get a s2k cluster.

Reaper27
09-28-2011, 07:10 AM
get a s2k cluster.

I've been interested in maybe doing that. How hard is it to install and also how expensive is it?

TheBestUkester
10-30-2011, 06:57 AM
http://www.silverimageracing.com/pd_02.cfm

pretty cool...

I bought a gauge cluster with this POS installed. they suck, look terrible, don't align right. really awful... Don't do it.

Kerby
10-30-2011, 09:27 AM
your gonna need a "speedheeler" module that converts the the EP3 speed signal into digital.
your also going to need another module (don't know the name of the top of my head) that converts the water temp to digital.

There is a thread in the interior section that goes into detail what you actually need to purchase.
In the same thead there also a pin-out chart.

neoamd
11-27-2011, 12:52 PM
I've been interested in maybe doing that. How hard is it to install and also how expensive is it?

I'll let you know the cost soon. I'll be running the S2K cluster with a Red/White LED conversion, black bezel, and a plug n play wiring harness :)

I'll upfate when I know the total cost. I'm expecting it to be ~$1200ish including the cluster. Not bad considering it looks BAD ASS.