PDA

View Full Version : Killer vtec MPG over power wise.

Blah1219
09-27-2011, 10:50 AM
I'm in the middle of a build. Engine is in a million pieces. I'm looking into the vtec killer sounds like a fun setup. Don't have to worry about any type of emissions. VTEC killer is just calling my name. My block is the a3 which consists of all type-s internals and a k24a1 head. I want to hit the 200 mark. What is everyone sitting on for MPG and WHP?? My build is kinda unique so I don't expect getting the same thing. I'm just asking for a ball park number, so I can make up my decision. The time is ending and I still haven't made up my mind.

jri93
09-27-2011, 12:16 PM
hmm that is an interesting set up. may i ask why you bother to put all the type s internals into the a3 block and didnt just swap the whole type s engine? Any way. with that setup, if you use a k20a2 intake and k24a2 exhaust cam you should be close to the 200 mark. in my opinion though you would have been better off with a whole k24a1 engine and then just adding the vtec killer. you could even put some k24a2 pistons in it to up the compression and you would be well over 200 hp. or just a complete stock type s motor with bolt ons and you would be over 200 also.

basically what im getting at is that your setup sounds cool and fun to build. But if your only goal is to reach 200 hp there are much easier and cheaper ways to go about it. either way, good luck on the build. you should turbo it after!

jri93
09-27-2011, 12:17 PM
o and to answer your other part, im running a stock k24a2 with bolt ons making 230hp/220tq and get about 25 mpg average

Blah1219
09-27-2011, 12:37 PM
I wanted something quite different and also a 0 mile engine just hit the spot in my gut. I snapped a rod in the k20a3 so I had a k20a3 block just looking in my face. I was on the route to doing a k24a1 swap. I actaully have the k24 swap parts in my room (k24 mount, sway bar and bushings). K20a2 was too much way out of my league. This way I can buy alittle here and there and still be in progress mode. My final setup will be most likely type-s internals/ k24a1 head being feed by a supercharger in vtec killer mode. I love the sound of the idling and the sound of a supercharger. Yes I know gas guzzler honda bahaha kinda ironic. That's why they invented daily drivers.

Blah1219
09-27-2011, 12:53 PM
Holy shit! http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=66643 196 hp on a stock long block a3 vtec killer equipped with a kidd header and prc im. I should definitely be able to hit 200 with a k24a1 head and high comp pistons and stronger rods. Damn November needs to come here fast!

Ba82Ep3
09-27-2011, 01:18 PM
Your compression bump alone will put you at the 200whp mark with that setup. Youre also adding a freer flowing head to the equation. Notice his exhaust though... 76mm. You go smaller it will bring up your TQ some and drop your top end a lil bit. Just keep that in mind too...

Blah1219
09-27-2011, 02:08 PM
Oh wow didn't really look at that. That's 3" too big for a 2.0L. That's another thing I haven't decided a 2.25 (megan midpipe which is current for me) or a custom 2.5 midpipe from a exhaust shop. I'll be running a spoon n1 muffler (on car currently), and when it get my bonus in November i'm craving for a spoon 2pc header depending on the wait till or i'll just jump on a buddy club unless told other wise. Im a spoon guy!! Some day the ep will be worthy to put the spoon banner on my hatch window.

jri93
09-27-2011, 03:29 PM
well, im running the megan 2.25 with my k24a2 and you can see i made great tq numbers. to me thats more important than hp. however if you are running that setup plus a supercharger. you might need the larger piping. I still wouldn't go larger than 2.5 though. with that setup and a supercharger, depending on what pulley you run, you can easily be at 300hp or more.

bchaney
09-27-2011, 08:38 PM
Wow 230whp with a 2.25" is surprising.

OP, why not put a k20a2 or k24a2 head on it and make 220whp? And please don't put stickers on your car, haha.

1GR8EP3
09-27-2011, 08:57 PM
o and to answer your other part, im running a stock k24a2 with bolt ons making 230hp/220tq and get about 25 mpg average230/220??? thats alot for a bolt on 24a2.

like 82 said you will hit the 200wheel mark, dont expect to get much mpg in town but that depends on your tuner as well. I like it and it was cheap hp but I will probably be building another motor in the near future and that one will have an actual vtec head.

Ba82Ep3
09-27-2011, 09:38 PM
230/220??? thats alot for a bolt on 24a2.

like 82 said you will hit the 200wheel mark, dont expect to get much mpg in town but that depends on your tuner as well. I like it and it was cheap hp but I will probably be building another motor in the near future and that one will have an actual vtec head.

Thanx for chimin in Q. I knew you had great results with it on a stock k24a1... even with its weak compression. 220whp/182wtq. Imagine if you had 10.5-11.0cr pistons in there... a killer bump in power!

So the OP is basically doing a 2L version of your build with 11.0cr pistons. Depending on his header/exhaust/tune, im gonna say he easily hits 210whp/155wtq.

I know im in for the results. I dig it when peeps try different shit. Actually he and i have similar setups... except im using flipped pin VTEC instead of killin it. My next 2.2 shortblock will have a k20a2 head on it.

da9b16
09-28-2011, 07:27 AM
. ... except im using flipped pin VTEC instead of killin it. .

Sorry to thread jack - I like his questions but your response made me ask another set of questions... what is the difference in flipped pin and the other version?

1GR8EP3
09-28-2011, 09:21 AM
Thanx for chimin in Q. I knew you had great results with it on a stock k24a1... even with its weak compression. 220whp/182wtq. Imagine if you had 10.5-11.0cr pistons in there... a killer bump in power!

So the OP is basically doing a 2L version of your build with 11.0cr pistons. Depending on his header/exhaust/tune, im gonna say he easily hits 210whp/155wtq.

I know im in for the results. I dig it when peeps try different shit. Actually he and i have similar setups... except im using flipped pin VTEC instead of killin it. My next 2.2 shortblock will have a k20a2 head on it.
It should be a nice little screamer when hes done too. I only kept the stock compression because I want to boost later hahaha
I dont think he will have problems breaking 200 that for sure, if he adds a six speed to that it will be a quick car capable of 13's.

You know I was throwing the idea around of a 2.2l ... Im glad to hear you are doing it, I like the idea of a little more torque but being able to keep your revs. In for numbers my dude haha.

jri93
09-28-2011, 09:41 AM
230/220??? thats alot for a bolt on 24a2.

Thats what i though. you shoulda seen my face when we got it on the dyno and the first run on a stock k24a2 map and it put out 205hp i was like whaaaatttt!!! even the tuner was surprised. he was like, "do you have anything done to the inside of the motor?"
It is a 2006 k24a2 so it has the 1mm larger valves and stuf, also i put a 50*vtc in.

Blah1219
09-28-2011, 10:29 AM
Wow 230whp with a 2.25" is surprising.

OP, why not put a k20a2 or k24a2 head on it and make 220whp? And please don't put stickers on your car, haha.

Everyone has done that. I'm kinda just adventuring in the unknown k series world. I like to try different things. Hey my head already flows better than a k20a2 or k24a2 head, I'll be running the a2 cams, but just with the a3 rocker assembly.

It's more of a banner than a sticker, but i'm not even close collecting all the spoon parts that I'm looking for.

Ba82Ep3
09-28-2011, 11:41 AM
Sorry to thread jack - I like his questions but your response made me ask another set of questions... what is the difference in flipped pin and the other version?

Thanx for asking though. There is detailed info on my members ride build thread. In short, you have one valve for each cylinder (EX/IN) riding on the VTEC lobe all the time. The other valve for each cylinder rides on its regular lobe. When VTEC engages, the pins lock both valves for each cylinder (EX/IN) and you have normal VTEC with all valves on the VTEC lobe... and no need for lost motion assemblies (LMA's). In my case, im using k20z3 cams on a k24a1 head, so low lobe power should be pretty damn good since ill be able to flow more air and fuel (one EX/IN valve on the VTEC lobe) through the head (k24a1 has big ports) making use of my higher compression (11.0).

It should be a nice little screamer when hes done too. I only kept the stock compression because I want to boost later hahaha
I dont think he will have problems breaking 200 that for sure, if he adds a six speed to that it will be a quick car capable of 13's.

You know I was throwing the idea around of a 2.2l ... Im glad to hear you are doing it, I like the idea of a little more torque but being able to keep your revs. In for numbers my dude haha.

Ive tossed around the idea for a few years, even had a payment on a BC stroker kit at one time. But $4500?? It had to be cheaper. You can drop a CRV/TSX crank in a k20 block (some clearancing involved), buy custom rods and have it run... but it wont for long (side loading of the piston in the cylinder wall, 99 is just too much in the short k20 bore). The ideal route is an f22 (AP2) crank (has to be modded a lil but its really no big deal), and custom rods and pistons. Its close to the Mugen 2.2 build.

You can buy a 92mm stroke aftermarket crank from Inline for the build... but its $1200. :meek: Im trying to keep it as cost efficient as possible. My build will be 92X86.5 with 11.5cr and a k20a2 head with k20z3 cams and RRC manifold. I wanted 92X87 unsleeved. Everyone tells me its not a good idea. I may say buck it and do it anyways...

1GR8EP3
09-29-2011, 09:04 PM
Yeah thats what strayed me away from it was the prices, but if you know a way to do it go for it man. I think you should be okay on the stock sleeves just as long as you are not over loading the thrust wall. Hey if the stock blocks are handling 700whp of boost fux it LOL.