PDA

View Full Version : time for new clutch

ep-unit
10-02-2011, 08:33 PM
my clutch is starting to slip time to time and i was hoping to get a new clutch installed, i no longer have the resources to install it myself, so whats the average cost to have a new clutch replaced at a local shop?

AKEP
10-03-2011, 12:34 AM
-/+800 for labor. its like 8.5 hours i think.

falah
10-03-2011, 01:40 AM
a new set of clutch plus flywheels would cost at least half of that

ImportCustomx
10-03-2011, 05:09 AM
please post in the correct spot, i moved it this time.thanks

good luck on the clutch..im doin the same thing right now..except i am replacing my cluth cylinder too..Omnipower here i come!

ep-unit
10-03-2011, 08:14 PM
anyone else has averages on what to pay?

02TWSI
10-03-2011, 08:40 PM
$800 for labor sweet Jesus.....

sLiCk
10-03-2011, 08:57 PM
Ya ummm $800 labor for a clutch job? Yikes! If it takes 8 hours for the shop to change a clutch on an ep3, go find another mechanic.

Blah1219
10-04-2011, 12:00 AM
I've been quoted 1050 in Washinton state. I end up going to napa getting a stage 1 exedy and a fly wheel resurface for 300, and paid a guy on the side 200 for the install. I saved half of the price. Now I'm going to do the stage 2 clutch and k20a2 flywheel myself.

blueandgoldep3
10-04-2011, 12:06 AM
Ya ummm $800 labor for a clutch job? Yikes! If it takes 8 hours for the shop to change a clutch on an ep3, go find another mechanic.
dude its a serious job... ive been working on cars for years and actually paid someone to do it because i just wasnt pulling my sub frame in my driveway lol

i got the clutch and flywheel separately and paid $400 to have them installed but it did take all day lol

blueandgoldep3
10-04-2011, 12:07 AM
I've been quoted 1050 in Washinton state. I end up going to napa getting a stage 1 exedy and a fly wheel resurface for 300, and paid a guy on the side 200 for the install. I saved half of the price. Now I'm going to do the stage 2 clutch and k20a2 flywheel myself.

i bet that guy wanted to kill you halfway through the install lol

BlownSi05
10-04-2011, 04:52 AM
My shop charged me I think $300-$400, can't remember it was a while ago. It was about 2.5-3 hours of work. Someone who really knows Honda will be able to do it fairly quick.

Blah1219
10-04-2011, 10:33 AM
i bet that guy wanted to kill you halfway through the install lol

Yeah he told me if he knew that it was such a pain in the ass, he would have charged me 400, but since he quoted me 200, he stood by it.

ep-unit
10-05-2011, 12:01 AM
whats a good clutch to get, im not looking for any performance just daily driven and peace of mind. current setup is a fidanza stg2 with exedy lighten flywheel.

blueandgoldep3
10-05-2011, 12:44 AM
Yeah he told me if he knew that it was such a pain in the ass, he would have charged me 400, but since he quoted me 200, he stood by it.well that was definitely cool of him

Draw7Seven
10-05-2011, 04:49 PM
My shop charged me I think $300-$400, can't remember it was a while ago. It was about 2.5-3 hours of work. Someone who really knows Honda will be able to do it fairly quick.

+1, this was my experience as well. When the Jeep guys quoted 1600 is when I learned how to do a clutch.

ep-unit
11-14-2011, 10:39 AM
Gonna need a new clutch soon my clutch is getting worst, any thoughts on getting the exedy oem clutch kit with a F1 chromoly flywheel 10.25lbs from gripforce......anyone else running this flywheel any thoughts?

BlownSi05
11-15-2011, 06:33 AM
Gonna need a new clutch soon my clutch is getting worst, any thoughts on getting the exedy oem clutch kit with a F1 chromoly flywheel 10.25lbs from gripforce......anyone else running this flywheel any thoughts?

If I remember correctly, all the aftermarket flywheels are mode for the RSX-S, which are just slightly different then the EP stock flywheel. This means you have to run a RSX-S specific clutch with it for it to work. RSX-S OEM on both would be a way to go.

ep-unit
11-17-2011, 10:11 AM
If I remember correctly, all the aftermarket flywheels are mode for the RSX-S, which are just slightly different then the EP stock flywheel. This means you have to run a RSX-S specific clutch with it for it to work. RSX-S OEM on both would be a way to go.
I know that I need a types clutch, I currently have a types fly n clutch combo, just wondering what people thought about the flywheel I mentioned, any reviews etc....

Draw7Seven
11-17-2011, 09:14 PM
I don't like lightweight flywheels on daily driven cars at all, but usually the super lightweights on EP's are like 9 pounds, right?

AKAahlecks
11-17-2011, 11:16 PM
what's wrong with lightweight flywheels on a DD? and how hard is it to change a clutch with some help (this is for my information)

AKEP
11-18-2011, 01:42 AM
a/c and idle is weird because theres no inertia to carry the crank at low speeds and a/c compressor at idle. my car idles alright, like stock. but it gets weird with a/c on at idle. thats why it sucks. other that that, i love my prolite. it drives like normal.

BlownSi05
11-18-2011, 05:31 AM
I know that I need a types clutch, I currently have a types fly n clutch combo, just wondering what people thought about the flywheel I mentioned, any reviews etc....

Duh....Reading comprehension > me...lol.

I agree with the others on the lightweight flywheels. You can do a light flywheel for a DD, but you don't want to go into the ultralight ones (i.e. 8 LBS range). The car gets very touchy on dead stop take off and is not very comfortable to drive. I did the Comp Clutch Ultralight in mine and hated it for DD, though road course and auto-x was great. If you are using it for a DD, I would recommend either an ACT Streetlight or just a stock RSX-S flywheel. I can guarantee you will be much more happy.

And as far as changing out clutches, unless you have a lift, the tranny is a PITA to get out of these cars. I pulled two trannys, one tranny swap in an EP and a clutch install on a RSX-S. I will NEVER do that again without a lift...lol.

AKAahlecks
11-28-2011, 12:53 AM
So, if you don't mind me asking, I'm looking to get an Exedy Stage 1 kit from THMotors and does the kit comes with almost everything I need (like the ACT kit perhaps?) or no? Anyhow, what I was wondering is what flywheel I need to run with the Exedy Stage 1. Can I retain my OEM flywheel or do I need a type-s flywheel like the ACT stage 1?

EDIT:
Nevermind, I think I found the answer. I don't HAVE to use the Exedy flywheel, but I do need the type-s.

lemonhead228
11-30-2011, 12:22 AM
I put my stage 2 F1 racing clutch with the 10 lb chromoly. It was my first time doing a clutch job and man was it a bitch! i did most of it myself and took me two days, 12 hours each day, so 24 hour of labor.. time paid off tho and finally got my car back up and running and man is it sweet +it saves me money. i wouldn't recommend doing it if you dont have he tools.

as for the flywheel, i like it. i dd my car also and AKEP is right about the a/c part lol other than that it does make my car accelerate faster.

ep-unit
11-30-2011, 11:47 AM
Anyone suggest having the rear main seal replaced
While doing the clutch replacement since the trans will already be coming off?

Draw7Seven
11-30-2011, 01:39 PM
Anyone suggest having the rear main seal replaced
While doing the clutch replacement since the trans will already be coming off?

How many miles are on your engine?

ep-unit
11-30-2011, 02:05 PM
50k miles

Draw7Seven
11-30-2011, 09:30 PM
I wouldn't.

AKEP
11-30-2011, 10:18 PM
Duh....Reading comprehension > me...lol.

I agree with the others on the lightweight flywheels. You can do a light flywheel for a DD, but you don't want to go into the ultralight ones (i.e. 8 LBS range). The car gets very touchy on dead stop take off and is not very comfortable to drive. I did the Comp Clutch Ultralight in mine and hated it for DD, though road course and auto-x was great. If you are using it for a DD, I would recommend either an ACT Streetlight or just a stock RSX-S flywheel. I can guarantee you will be much more happy.

And as far as changing out clutches, unless you have a lift, the tranny is a PITA to get out of these cars. I pulled two trannys, one tranny swap in an EP and a clutch install on a RSX-S. I will NEVER do that again without a lift...lol.

i feel like its MORE touchy with your choice of clutch/pressure plate. i drove a k24-vtec killer with a comp clutch pressure plate, that thing was a pain to drive anywhere under 2k rpms. the cams didn't help but that clutch gripped so hard, it felt like i was driving my old truck again. my oem exedy dd's just fine all day with the prolite flywheel.

jj69
12-09-2011, 07:30 PM
i need a new clutch should i go f1 stage 2 with light weight flywheel or exedy oem with light weight for a good daily driver

jj69
12-09-2011, 07:32 PM
do ypu think i should go f1 stage 2 with 10 lb flywheel on my stock ep3