PDA

View Full Version : New tires feel squishy during turns/cornering.

DRP967
10-05-2011, 01:20 PM
Whats up, just got new tries put on today. They are Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires. The tire size is 215/45/17 on a 17X7, +45 MM, 5X114.3 Enkei RPF1 wheels. I used to have Toyo Extensa HP tires (same size) and they didnt feel like this ever. Basically when I am turning/cornering the car's tires feel squishy and floaty through the turn. It feels as if the car is kinda floating and just squishy for lack of a better description. I dont like this feeling at all, is this because the sidewall is soft or something? Will it get better with time? PS. the tire pressure is at 32 PSI.

2003_ep3
10-06-2011, 11:16 AM
i EXTENSIVELY looked into these tires because the reviews on the are great, and the cold weather is coming soon. also the treadwear rating was remarkable and tirerack was offering a free gps with them!. but the thing i kept seeing everyone say is that how soft the sidewalls were. so im pretty sure thats your prob. i think these tires are for more of a comfort/luxury ride rather then sporty driving. that feeling is coming from the sidewall giving way whenever you make a corner. my only suggestion for you is to run a little bit higher psi, i would bump it up to about 36/38 psi. that should make a pretty significant difference

k24_dc5
10-06-2011, 12:25 PM
Its the sidewall, I have the ExtremeContact DW and the sidewall is extremely soft. You can bump up the tire pressure like 2003_ep3 said and it should help a little.

DRP967
10-08-2011, 08:15 PM
i EXTENSIVELY looked into these tires because the reviews on the are great, and the cold weather is coming soon. also the treadwear rating was remarkable and tirerack was offering a free gps with them!. but the thing i kept seeing everyone say is that how soft the sidewalls were. so im pretty sure thats your prob. i think these tires are for more of a comfort/luxury ride rather then sporty driving. that feeling is coming from the sidewall giving way whenever you make a corner. my only suggestion for you is to run a little bit higher psi, i would bump it up to about 36/38 psi. that should make a pretty significant difference

Its the sidewall, I have the ExtremeContact DW and the sidewall is extremely soft. You can bump up the tire pressure like 2003_ep3 said and it should help a little.

Thanks a bunch for the help guys. Yeah figured after reading more about em and from experience the continental DWS tires have soft sidewalls. The feel a little better now that I have over 300 miles on em (new tire break in) and the release mold compound stuff is coming off the tires. So I come to the conclusion is a combination of tread squirm and a soft sidewall. Ill just cruise it since I dont really do much spirited driving and just rock the recommended PSI. I like the tires but next time I am getting something with a stiffer sidewall.

junevtec
10-08-2011, 09:40 PM
your not gonna hurt the tires with 36/38 try it should feel firmer

PREJDMLUDE
10-09-2011, 01:36 AM
Should have bought what you had if you liked it. But sometimes you just have to try different tires. For me at first loved Yokohama but after bridgestones don't think I'll go back to anything. But since in a budget sumitomos will do. I work 8 minutes from home clearly no spirited driving for me. Just stop signs.