PDA

View Full Version : Energy Suspension Bushings?

G-MaC!
10-05-2011, 04:05 PM
I am trying to decide if it is worth it for me to but their whole kit, someone who only DD's their car. I am at 196k, so they might be getting close to wearing out anyway. For people that have the kit, do you suggest it? How much does it affect ride quality?

superd16girl
10-06-2011, 01:16 PM
I can give you my experience from my 97...
I thought it was a complete waste of money. Half of the bushing didn't fit what it was supposed to because most of the parts were after market. I actually stopped putting them on because it irritated me so much and I didn't really think they would make that big of a difference. If I were to do it again, I would probably look at the suspension and just replace the bushings that look worn (and on both sides even if only one is worn to keep the handling and feel even), otherwise I would say its just a big pain in the ass.

Drew1d
10-09-2011, 06:59 AM
I like it. My bushings were pretty shot after 120k. The parts are inexpensive, but the installation is a pain.
Poly bushings for the sway bar is the easiest.
Poly bushings for the front LCA, will require seperating the balljoint. (special tool, unless you kick it off) also, chances are you'll replace the endlinks from the sway front and back. (it's a lot easier cutting them free then stripping them with a hex key.
Poly bushings for the rear trailing arm is the biggest pain. A LOT to disassemble.

I'm pleased with the performance of it. My tires and springs are stock. If you have low profile tires, and stiff springs, I'd probably suggest softer bushings. I know some members on here say the Poly bushings break or deform, but I've yet to see it. (It's been over a year.)

I'm at a similar mileage for the car. I'd have to ask, what's your intention with the car. If you really are going to keep it, and possibly replace the engine or transmission, then I'd do the bushing kit. Otherwise, why throw money into the car on a non essential part that will outlive the car? I mean, unless it's F$#@'d up, this is a "performance" upgrade, not essential.

27rocks
10-10-2011, 12:34 PM
If you want good quality bushings i'd look at HardRace. We have a vendor here that sells their products.

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?54684-HardRace-Suspension-Groupbuy

NEO_FOLLOWER2
10-10-2011, 01:03 PM
new bushings bring the car back to life alot

but for a dd...i'd recommend doing oem or hardrace

i hear that the poly bushings squeak and need regular maintanence...idk if you'd want to deal with that on your dd

G-MaC!
10-14-2011, 03:13 PM
So after more reading I heard polyurethane and salt don't mix well, our roads get covered in salt. I wish the mugen ones weren't so damn expensive.

whatsvtec
10-14-2011, 03:28 PM
Hardrace makes hardened rubber bushings for our cars. A bit more expensive than Energy Suspension, but won't break down in the salt.

Your other option with Energy Suspension bushings would be to keep them all lubricated and maintain that lubricant coating. Any good chassis grease should keep water and salt to a minimum.

Drew1d
10-21-2011, 12:43 PM
new bushings bring the car back to life alot

but for a dd...i'd recommend doing oem or hardrace

i hear that the poly bushings squeak and need regular maintanence...idk if you'd want to deal with that on your dd

So after more reading I heard polyurethane and salt don't mix well, our roads get covered in salt. I wish the mugen ones weren't so damn expensive.

I live in NY, it snows, they salt. I probably grease my ES bushings once every 6 months, I don't squeek. It's an egg, not a mouse. :)

Blue03Si
10-27-2011, 12:39 PM
I have the energy kit and like others have said install is a PITA. The only reason I did it was I had all the parts already off for my 5-lug swap. If I were doing it again though I'd go with the hard race hardened rubber or shell out for the mugen bits. My car is really squeaky now and re-lubing everything is a PITA.

chunktwo
11-08-2011, 11:26 AM
i would be worried about poly bushings deforming over time. it happened on my motor mounts. where the the pin started to oblong the bushing it self...

someone mentioned hardrace.. i have used their products in the past, but a recent post on my.is has be concerned:
http://my.is/forums/f89/updated-hardrace-bushings-action-oem-435437/

see video in the above thread. there was some discussion about whether the bushing clocked correctly, and it was confirmed that the video of a bushing that was clocked properly..