PDA

View Full Version : looking for a suspesion that wont break the bank!

frankybeanzep3
10-09-2011, 09:49 PM
just wondering if anyone has heard of etd motors coilover kit model 1067108002577 thee on ebay now! can anyone please tell me good thing for the $ or 5+ is no good?

blueandgoldep3
10-10-2011, 12:20 AM
it would be easier to just post the ebay link rather than giving the model number lol but youll here it from many people on here... ya gotta pay to play homie

PatrickJamesYu
10-10-2011, 12:32 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CoilOver-Suspension-01-05-HONDA-Civic-EM2-ES1-EP3-EU1-/190560646558?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c5e4cb59e#ht_4443wt_941

haven't heard of these coilovers for our cars
Might be a good deal
their race team seems to have decent builds and I've seen them ONCE before on the track.

some plus points:
They are adjustable
Might be the same exact product as the Megan streets, with out the name
Spring rates seem odd IMO but not absolutely ridiculous like the Racelands, being softer than stock.

It concerns me that it's labeled for em2.
I know em2 owners have to mod ep3 coilovers for them to fit ( I think, not know)
I would assume it's the other way around as well.

They seem to be local to me
maybe one of these days I'll stop by the shop
and see how the build quality is in person.

carrito
10-10-2011, 12:34 AM
they look nice, but no reviews =(

G-MaC!
10-10-2011, 11:31 AM
don't cheap out on something your car is riding on, it's kinda important. save up, and get something really worth buying.

carrito
10-10-2011, 02:17 PM
i have raceland and i have no problems at all with the car....

frankybeanzep3
10-10-2011, 03:26 PM
thanks for all input guy's!!! they looked pretty well made and would last awhile longer then some other products! if anyone can tell me anything about these i would be in your debt! i lookied at kido coilovers! but are they pretty much the same? im not gonna autox spirited driving and maybe alittle more so maybe that can help u guys help me

b_ron
10-10-2011, 09:14 PM
reverse spring rates like skunk2's?

makavelibranded
10-10-2011, 10:24 PM
ya those are bad spring rates,.. on paper it would cause more understeer, and considering they label the em and ep in the same line makes me think these are crap

G-MaC!
10-11-2011, 04:38 PM
If they are labeled EM, there is the possibility they may not fit. Plus the EP and EM do not weigh the same, so having the same spring rates for both = fail.

PatrickJamesYu
10-11-2011, 05:35 PM
I think Function and Form will make the most affordable, heavily driveable coilover for our cars.
That or maybe the Megan street's or Tracks.
The Megan Streets are like $620 -$675.

I'd recommend some killer shocks like Koni Yellows
and some lowering springs.

Maybe some really nice shocks and Ground Control coilover sleeves even.

b_ron
10-11-2011, 11:08 PM
I think Function and Form will make the most affordable, heavily driveable coilover for our cars.
That or maybe the Megan street's or Tracks.
The Megan Streets are like $620 -$675.

I'd recommend some killer shocks like Koni Yellows
and some lowering springs.

Maybe some really nice shocks and Ground Control coilover sleeves even.

links?

PatrickJamesYu
10-11-2011, 11:45 PM
links?
Street price, not online

Reaper27
10-24-2011, 10:50 AM

ya those are bad spring rates,.. on paper it would cause more understeer, and considering they label the em and ep in the same line makes me think these are crap

Sorry for hijacking the thread but i was a little confused. So are you saying that skunk2 coilovers are bad? I'm in the market for some coilovers myself and was hoping to get some for around $900 or less. (possibly thought about splurging and buying some BC N+ but not sure) I've been seriously looking at the Skunk2 Pro-S II set.

PatrickJamesYu
10-24-2011, 11:08 AM
Sorry for hijacking the thread but i was a little confused. So are you saying that skunk2 coilovers are bad? I'm in the market for some coilovers myself and was hoping to get some for around $900 or less. (possibly thought about splurging and buying some BC N+ but not sure) I've been seriously looking at the Skunk2 Pro-S II set.

We weren't talking about Skunk2 Coilovers
We were talking specifically about their Lowering Springs.

I would personally opt away from their coilovers, as I haven't heard anything that great from them.

Some other known options are,
aftermarket shocks + Ground Control Coilovers
Megan
Buddyclub
BC
Progress

The N+'s you mention, Ive heard to be very good, and have installed a set of them into an s2k in the past
But depending on what you're doing, it might be more than you need.
I also heard that these are not rebuildable.

Calvinep3
10-24-2011, 11:09 AM
Trust me when I say dont cheap out on suspension. I'm a college student and I know how hard it is to spend that much money but trust me you will not regret it. I've been through many suspension setups that I finally bought my first set of coilovers(megan) from a friend who crashed his ep. If you want to lower your car coilovers or springs with shocks is the way to go. Not this cheap stuff. Trust.

makavelibranded
10-24-2011, 09:45 PM

well there coilovers arent great either, bad strut design, bad spring rates,... but they are cheap so thats a plus right ? lol

Heres a great list for spring rates,..
http://forums.clubep3.com/showthread.php?t=564642 check out the companies that go with a softer front spring rate then the rear,.. those are the ones that researched what is right for the ep3, and didint say "hey these go great on an em so lets throw it on this car too" , I think the Tein Coilovers if I remembered right lacked a good strut design aswell other wise I would have picked them. I went with the buddyclub RSD's they have awsome spring rates and paired with how my whole suspension is setup it really added the missing piece to push the car over to oversteer alot more for when I race. I know that doesint mean much for most people but when I see a company put parts out there for cars properly built, high quality, and properly research what will make the car perform best, it shows what kind of company they are.

Also a monotube strut design is best when researching coilovers.

Reaper27
10-25-2011, 09:41 AM
Ok, like I said before I don't know much about suspensions yet but what would be a good or ideal spring rate? This is my DD but I do drive spirited a lot and am interested in tracking it down the line

hyu
10-25-2011, 10:43 AM
I would go with BC coilovers. Best bang for the buck and all of my heavy tracking buddies use them and no complaints yet.
I have 8k front and 10k rear and 30way adjustable with pillowball mounts

Reaper27
10-25-2011, 11:21 AM

I would go with BC coilovers. Best bang for the buck and all of my heavy tracking buddies use them and no complaints yet.
I have 8k front and 10k rear and 30way adjustable with pillowball mounts

What's the drop on those?

hyu
10-25-2011, 11:43 AM
You can slam these if you want but why? It gimps your cars handling and everything goes to shit after awhile.
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=713866

Reaper27
10-25-2011, 01:19 PM
You can slam these if you want but why? It gimps your cars handling and everything goes to shit after awhile.
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=713866

I don't want to slam it. I just want it to drop a little. Between 1 to 2 inches max (that's pushing it). A set that would give an increase in performance and feel, as well as do well for a DD, and drop the car about an inch to an inch and 1/2 would be awesome haha. That's prob a hard thing to achieve but if I'm going to drop around 1k then I want it to be what I want it to be

makavelibranded
10-25-2011, 05:59 PM
An inch to 2 inches is fine, its causes minimal stress on the steering rack,.. on paper would cause worse handling but on my setup im sitting about 1.5 lower and it still feels great, the very high spring rate on the RSD's could cause that though, the lack of suspension travel is basicly what causes it, but again no issues,.. on stock shocks and tein springs (1.5) id have bottom out issues on really nad roads and body roll. Its all about compromise you may not enjoy high spring rates and how ruff it may ride, you should be able to adjust the shocks so you dont notice a diff though.

Also id recommend a camber kit and alignment, its like tuning an engine it will make the car amazing, make sure your toe is 0 front 0 back(toe destroys tires), I have a neg 2 up front, and neg 1 rear but thats up to you.

Reaper27
10-25-2011, 06:17 PM
An inch to 2 inches is fine, its causes minimal stress on the steering rack,.. on paper would cause worse handling but on my setup im sitting about 1.5 lower and it still feels great, the very high spring rate on the RSD's could cause that though, the lack of suspension travel is basicly what causes it, but again no issues,.. on stock shocks and tein springs (1.5) id have bottom out issues on really nad roads and body roll. Its all about compromise you may not enjoy high spring rates and how ruff it may ride, you should be able to adjust the shocks so you dont notice a diff though.

Also id recommend a camber kit and alignment, its like tuning an engine it will make the car amazing, make sure your toe is 0 front 0 back(toe destroys tires), I have a neg 2 up front, and neg 1 rear but thats up to you.

Ok so, the kits with a higher spring rate would drop it like I'm wanting and still have the ability for good handling? I had already planned on getting a camber kit, new ball joints, and doing some energy suspension bushings when it gets installed. What kit are you running right now?

makavelibranded
10-25-2011, 08:07 PM
Not sure I do think it does though,.. the lower your car is it should technically have a higher spring rate but also the more sticky your tires are the higher your spring rates should be since your looking into track racing eventually,.. I have a Eibach camber kit, Buddy Blub RSD's, No front sway bar, CTR rear sway, rear ITR strut bar, middle chassis support bar, Front ITR subframe chassis bar, possible thats it.

Reason I went with no front sway is on turning sway bars cause lift and reduce traction = bad for the front wheels. When trying to get on the throttle on exit, I was going to add just a em1 sway but ran out of time trying to get the front sway off taking out my cat and part of my exhaust was a PITA, but in the end liked it without it. Remember though sways and springs work about the same, I have high spring rates to compensate the lack of front sway. How my car is setup it really oversteers, Honda put the big sway up front to prevent this, and all manufactures do to prevent oversteer since it is dangerous if you lack experience or understanding of how the car acts when you loose the traction and start to oversteer into that wall its no buano.

This is all from what I have read and done to my car and is all IMHO I like how it works, and feels good to me. Some argue that lack of front sway can do this or that to handling. In autocross im in SMF, I have beaten out some Subi's, Datsuns in there SM class on street tires,... ESPECIALLY in the rain I can rock them just fine, sure theres other civics, FWD mr2's, jetta and just random ass fast lightweight cars in my class on slicks that barely beat me or dont, and im on street tires and always have been. It is what it is.

Also look into tires as well, I recommend learning to race on street tires when you finally get to the plate its really made me understand how to REALLY drive the car, sure ill drive "sprited" sometimes but there is nothing like getting in and actually racing on an autocross course, and being competative.

Theres tons of great info on suspension stuff btw here
http://forums.clubep3.com/forumdisplay.php?f=295

Ephatch is my home but theres great reads on club ep3 by Mustclime, if you ask im anything take it with a grain of salt he can be old and grumpy sometimes haha.

hyu
10-25-2011, 08:16 PM
No front sway at all or stock front sway? I'm setting up for a stiffer rear end. I wanna see how a 19mm would feel vs our stock 15mm. I was curious on why you run -2 camber in the front. What is your tire/suspension setup?

Also what I've notice playing around with the tire psi and dampening I'm actually getting oversteer off highway offramps. Especially in the rain.

Reaper27
10-26-2011, 05:08 AM
ok, I'll check out that link. I did have another odd question, when I upgrade the sway bar do I need new bushings? The reason I ask is that I plan on installing a rear sway definately and was looking at the tanabe but its 25 mm if I remember right, and the only rear bushing that I can find is 15 mm?

makavelibranded
10-27-2011, 09:35 AM
No front sway at all or stock front sway? I'm setting up for a stiffer rear end. I wanna see how a 19mm would feel vs our stock 15mm. I was curious on why you run -2 camber in the front. What is your tire/suspension setup?

Also what I've notice playing around with the tire psi and dampening I'm actually getting oversteer off highway offramps. Especially in the rain.

I did neg 2 up front for more turning traction. The front wheels have to accelerate, turn, and brake the car so its very important to do as much as possible. On a RWD car its all the opposite, you want that traction on the rear wheels. Softer/smaller bar, springs on the rear, higher up front(depending on the weight balance of the car) more neg camber in the rear ect ect.

Tire presures you adjust to get rid of tire rollover. A trick people do when racing is take a piece of chalk run it along the side of the tires, do a run, and see how far up the tire the chalk line is removed and adjust pressures till there right.

,.. I have a Eibach camber kit, Buddy Blub RSD's, No front sway bar, CTR rear sway, rear ITR strut bar, middle chassis support bar, Front ITR subframe chassis bar, possible thats it. and I have BF goodrich KDW 2's

ok, I'll check out that link. I did have another odd question, when I upgrade the sway bar do I need new bushings? The reason I ask is that I plan on installing a rear sway definately and was looking at the tanabe but its 25 mm if I remember right, and the only rear bushing that I can find is 15 mm?

Not sure,.. could have sworn my CTR sway came with them so I didint ever look into bushings.

Reaper27
10-27-2011, 03:24 PM
Not sure,.. could have sworn my CTR sway came with them so I didint ever look into bushings.

Ok, I mean that would make sense but I wasn't sure. I don't want it just rattling around back there.

hyu
10-27-2011, 03:47 PM
I did neg 2 up front for more turning traction. The front wheels have to accelerate, turn, and brake the car so its very important to do as much as possible. On a RWD car its all the opposite, you want that traction on the rear wheels. Softer/smaller bar, springs on the rear, higher up front(depending on the weight balance of the car) more neg camber in the rear ect ect.

Tire presures you adjust to get rid of tire rollover. A trick people do when racing is take a piece of chalk run it along the side of the tires, do a run, and see how far up the tire the chalk line is removed and adjust pressures till there right.
and I have BF goodrich KDW 2's

What suspension/tires are you running? Also how often do you go through tires?

Reaper27
10-30-2011, 06:15 PM
Ok well after doing some research I've found that a lot of people say that it will handle better if I do a strut/spring combo than a coilovers set. Is this true? I was thinking about doing Koni yellows with ground control sleeves/springs but GC didn't have koni listed as a brand that was compatible. Anyone used this combo? I want a setup where I can adjust my ride height and still have good performance