PDA

View Full Version : Scratches!

Prime Si
01-02-2003, 09:36 AM
hey guys, i need some info/advice. I picked up a ssm 2002 si a week ago, from the local honda dealer. The place has a sort of bad reputation around here, they sell a lot of used lemons and such. I was washing and waxing the car the other day, and noticed 4 long scratches all the way down to the metal!!!!! on the roof. one by the windshield, one on each side of the sunroof, and one near the antenna. they run all the way from left to right on the roof, and are definately very deep-if you run your fingernail across them, you can feel them quite noticably. the scratches are almost perfect straight lines. it's almost like there was a roof rack on the car, but i doubt there was one- i picked it up with 20 miles on it. So i take it to the dealer, they say to drop it off next monday, they'll give me a rental car, and they'll have their body shop take care of it-2 or 3 days. i'm not so pissed about not having the car for a few days, as long as i have a rental. the guys says they'll try to buff them out. heres where i need help. i don't know much about paint, but it seems they wouldn't be able to buff out a deep scratch. is it possible? i'm worried about having them repaint it, because i know silver is a difficult color to match, and i'm curious, if they do repaint, will they throw a coat of paint on top of what's already there? what should i tell these guys when i drop the car off monday? (aside from the fact they can stick their "free oil change" coupons where the sun don't shine, and to give me some fogs for my troubles) :D

sorry for the rant, but i don't know much about paint-any help would be greatly appreciated! don't worry, i don't plan on getting rid of the car! i still love it! :)

i-WERKS
01-02-2003, 09:53 AM
don't worry about the paint matching. They have a paint code and the color will be exactly the same. I had my rear hatch repainted from a shop (not the dealer) and it was exactly the same. Even with the blue sparkle in the nighthawk black pearl.

TrippZ
01-02-2003, 12:28 PM
yeah I heard that they have a laser that reads the paint or something and it gives them the exact color

SubliminalSi
01-02-2003, 01:02 PM
The color code is inside the door on a sticker. I had to get a bumber replaced and thats where they looked. This might sound stupid but are you sure they are scratches? Cuz when i got mine i noticed the same thing. But it was just because it wasnt detaled very good. On mine it was lines where the plastic wrapping stuff was. Just thought id throw that in..

IceD out N CALI
01-02-2003, 04:06 PM
the dealer should color match it perfectly , u wont even know the difference;)

Prime Si
01-03-2003, 12:32 AM
thanks for all the reassurance on the paint matching. i was thinking it was from the "sticker" things they ship the car with as well, but they are scratches, little dips you can feel with your fingernail. i took some pics, i'll try to get them posted soon. at first i figured they were just residue left over from the stickers. I talked to the service guy at my dealer, he said they are from the stickers-i don't see how stickers could leave these scratches, but as long as they're taking care of it i guess it doesn't matter. oh well. no ep for me next week. wonder what my loaner car will be? :D

2k2SiAutoXer
01-03-2003, 05:39 AM
youll probabally get some dx civic or accord. It might not hurt asking for an element or pilot :D

--Tom