PDA

View Full Version : Is this bad...

G-MaC!
10-11-2011, 05:08 PM
Still trying to figure out what the hell is clunking in my front end. Recently had it checked over and apparently everything is "good". First question, is my tie rod end completely engaged (down far enough)?
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee40/mcdougall15/869.jpg

Second, there is what looks to be a rip in that bushing. Rips are usually bad. It's the lca or compliance one, can't remember. Getting pretty desperate to find a solution obviously, so I am checking over everything.

...not sure why one picture is huge.

andyman97
10-11-2011, 05:12 PM
Yes your tie rod end isn't seated fully and the compliance bushing is torn.

RHCP0801
10-11-2011, 05:13 PM
yes your tie rod is tightened down all the way

the busing is going bad but it is not totally torn. That would not cause the clunking sound.

Are you lowered or stock? when does the noise happen? potholes, turning left/right etc...

Need more information man

G-MaC!
10-11-2011, 05:19 PM
One says it's down, the other says no. lol
Yeah sorry. I'm on very new A-Spec coils, and the noise happens when I am going over traintracks, rough bumps/very prominent on stuff like cobblestone. Not noticeable when the car is parked, or turning really.

G-MaC!
10-11-2011, 05:21 PM
Oh, and it is not the infamous steering rack creek though. Definitely a clunk, not a creek.

RHCP0801
10-11-2011, 05:23 PM
there is enough space for the cotter pin so I'm pretty sure it is down all the way, it takes two seconds to see for yourself so I would just go out there with a wrench and check. Who installed the suspension?

AKEP
10-11-2011, 09:04 PM
checked the wheel bearings in the spindle?

Slip_Angle
10-11-2011, 09:09 PM
shock tower nuts may have backed out a bit. Mine did this every 6 months on the HFP's until I used some lock-tite.

G-MaC!
10-11-2011, 09:36 PM
there is enough space for the cotter pin so I'm pretty sure it is down all the way, it takes two seconds to see for yourself so I would just go out there with a wrench and check. Who installed the suspension?

I took a wrench to it, and it would not budge. I tried using the oe jack to push the tie rod end down too.

G-MaC!
10-11-2011, 09:37 PM
checked the wheel bearings in the spindle?

That I have not, will have to!

G-MaC!
10-11-2011, 09:38 PM
shock tower nuts may have backed out a bit. Mine did this every 6 months on the HFP's until I used some lock-tite.

Really? It would be sweet if it was that simple. You are talking about the bolt on the very top of the strut under the hood, correct?

PatrickJamesYu
10-12-2011, 04:02 PM
Really? It would be sweet if it was that simple. You are talking about the bolt on the very top of the strut under the hood, correct?

By shock tower nuts, I'm assuming he's talking about the 3 bolts on the tower itself.
Not the Coilover/shock.

So those 3 bolts, Either 10mm or 14mm, I totally forgot
Anyways, there's 3 per tower, it holds the shock assembly in place.

ep3beginner
10-12-2011, 04:32 PM

this also happened to me

Silvercard
10-12-2011, 04:47 PM
This is also happening to me. Had the lca bushings replaced same problem. When the shock of the front passenger went out. Replaced front shocks same problem. tie rods are good. It happens when I'm backing up and move the steering wheel going less than 1 mph way less and then i hear a loud clunk. same when going to speed from a light same clunk when beginning to speed up.and of course when turing the wheels in a complete stop.

03civicdopejmd
10-12-2011, 06:32 PM
check your subframe bolts, and your sway bar

andyman97
10-12-2011, 06:43 PM
Yeah sorry. I'm on very new A-Spec coils, and the noise happens when I am going over traintracks, rough bumps/very prominent on stuff like cobblestone. Not noticeable when the car is parked, or turning really.
Sorry, now looking at the pic on a computer, not a cell phone, I can see it's seated properly.

G-MaC!
10-12-2011, 08:13 PM
By shock tower nuts, I'm assuming he's talking about the 3 bolts on the tower itself.
Not the Coilover/shock.

Ohhh, gotcha. I checked, they all seem really tight. I wasn't using a torque wrench or a breaker bar, but I also couldn't even budge them.

Drew1d
10-20-2011, 01:00 PM

Bumpstops? The A spec kit came fully assembled? How did you line up the top three bolts?

Like this?
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q44/schwag512/strut.jpg

Are Acura struts different?

I'd imagine it would make more noise if they weren't lined up right. I'm still leaning toward bumpstops.

G-MaC!
10-20-2011, 02:10 PM
Bumpstops? The A spec kit came fully assembled? How did you line up the top three bolts?

Like this?

I'd imagine it would make more noise if they weren't lined up right. I'm still leaning toward bumpstops.

It came fully assembled. Long story short I got so pissed off with the rears I had a buddy install them, so I would have to check. He definitely knows what he is doing though, not some backyard dude. How should the bolts be lined up?

Civic5lug
10-20-2011, 02:37 PM
This is also happening to me. Had the lca bushings replaced same problem. When the shock of the front passenger went out. Replaced front shocks same problem. tie rods are good. It happens when I'm backing up and move the steering wheel going less than 1 mph way less and then i hear a loud clunk. same when going to speed from a light same clunk when beginning to speed up.and of course when turing the wheels in a complete stop.
To me it sounds like your hearing the spring binding on the top hat. Spray some wd40 on em and see if that helps. McPherson strut design makes the whole strut turn when you turn the steering wheel.

Like this?

This pic totally lost me lol

G-MaC!
10-21-2011, 02:02 PM
If someone can explain that drawing that would be nice haha

Slip_Angle
10-21-2011, 09:15 PM

Yes, the one dead centre of the tower.

Not the Coilover/shock.

No, not the three outer nuts. Those don't tend to come loose.

apexracing
10-21-2011, 09:26 PM

sounds like a bad cv shaft or wheel bearing/ bad motor mount.

Twisted-X
10-22-2011, 02:06 AM
I'm on very new A-Spec coils, and the noise happens when I am going over traintracks, rough bumps/very prominent on stuff like cobblestone. Not noticeable when the car is parked, or turning really.

TS: Twice when I've had this noise (going over railroad tracks, bumps, etc) its been loose endlink nuts. My suggestion would be to take an allen key (think its 5mm?) and a box end wrench (10mm) and make sure the nuts are tight (29 ft/lbs).

Stubby
10-22-2011, 02:43 AM
To me it sounds like your hearing the spring binding on the top hat. Spray some wd40 on em and see if that helps. McPherson strut design makes the whole strut turn when you turn the steering wheel.

This is the problem. This is exactly what mine does when I turn the wheels.

G-MaC!
10-22-2011, 03:43 PM
TS: Twice when I've had this noise (going over railroad tracks, bumps, etc) its been loose endlink nuts. My suggestion would be to take an allen key (think its 5mm?) and a box end wrench (either 12 or 14mm) and make sure the nuts are tight (29 ft/lbs).

SO many frickin possibilities, getting annoying ahah. Thanks though, I am going to try this right now.

White02_hatch
10-23-2011, 07:33 PM
Mine started doing this after replacing the front pads, rotors, and calipers. There is a loud grinding noise and metallica clunking when going about 5-10 mph. Now I have also noticed a squeek but only when accelerating and not having the wheel perfectly straigh up and down. I'm assuming its not the wheel bearings because they were just done less than 2 years ago. So im at a loss with wtf the deal is.

G-MaC!
10-23-2011, 08:34 PM
TS: Twice when I've had this noise (going over railroad tracks, bumps, etc) its been loose endlink nuts. My suggestion would be to take an allen key (think its 5mm?) and a box end wrench (either 12 or 14mm) and make sure the nuts are tight (29 ft/lbs).

I checked it out, and I don't know what your endlinks are like but there is no spot for an allen key any where on mine. Not sure what the deal with is that. I can also move one side if I wiggle my sway a bit, probably not the best. There seems to be play in what I believe is my axle if I move it side to side and it makes the exact noise that I seem to be hearing over bumps. Is that a possibility?
Damn, I am contemplating just taking this to the stealership and telling them to fix it.

andyman97
10-24-2011, 06:15 AM
The allen head is in the end of the stud.

Drew1d
10-24-2011, 01:06 PM

This pic totally lost me lol

Oh, umm...sorry.

It's Left front strut, the arrow is facing toward the front of the car. The mark is facing toward the rear, and the steering arm of the strut is well, point toward the car, assuming the wheels are straight. It's the LEFT front strut. On the top of the strut there is a little mark which should face the rear of the car. It's between two of the bolts.

G-MaC!
10-24-2011, 08:48 PM
The allen head is in the end of the stud.

I must be blind ahaha. Still not sure. There's the nut that attaches it to the sway, and the only other thing I can see is this small L shaped piece that screws in and out.

Twisted-X
10-24-2011, 10:03 PM
If you have the stock end-links, then on the end of the threaded stud that nut is attached to will be a socket that you place the allen key into (to hold the stud in place while you turn the nut). There'll be one of these on each end of the end-link.

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu261/jimmyspiffy1986/Endlink1.jpg

G-MaC!
10-27-2011, 12:20 PM
Soooooo I took my car to honda, yeah last resort. And they said with my "extremely high performance suspension" this is normal. I'm on Aspec. Are you f*cking kidding me? Feeling the road yes, I expect that. But CLUNKING? No, I know that is not right. I've ridden in peoples cars that are set up for autocross that are hella stiff and they do not clunk. aefuifhuehuvgre! so choked.