PDA

View Full Version : Transmission for K24A2...questions

ryboto
10-14-2011, 02:16 PM
So, eventually, I'm going to swap in a K24A2. I'd planned on getting a z3 6-speed, but I've got questions...
Should I buy the whole transmission and modify it to fit?
Is there somewhere I can buy the internals for cheaper than buying the entire transmission?
What else should get replaced?(I'm a novice when it comes to engine/transmission replacement. Flywheel? Clutch? Mechanical Reverse lockout? I dunno?)

AKEP
10-14-2011, 04:25 PM
buy the guts if you're up to opening the transmission. i dont feel like typing, but you'll get 6spd and lsd out of it and wont have to buy a speedo converter thingy to make it work. i tihnk you still just need the speedo ring from the ep to make it work. i think unless you have a serious set of tools to bring to a junkyard, your going to have to buy the whole transmission.

fyi you don't need to modify anything to make the z3/z1 transmission fit, the only difference is the z3/z1 use a speed sensor on the countershaft instead of the final drive. the signal comes out different than the a2/a3 transmissions, therefore. you won't be able to just plug it in and forget it though, you need a speed sensor converter box for it to function correctly. you also need wire harness where a 6spd transmission was used (type-s basically) for reverse lockout to work

bchaney
10-15-2011, 07:03 AM
Yea, I would just swap the z3 internals into your ep3 case. You may be able to find the internals cheaper in a forum classified but prob not. Plus you might need some of the shaft bearings that are usually left in the case.

Get a clutch kit that includes new clutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearing. You'll want a k20a2 flywheel because more clutches are made for it - these are easily found in the classifieds on k20a.org. Resurface it and put a washer under the throwout pivot stud - talonxracer has a thread in this forum that will illustrate what I mean.

bchaney
10-15-2011, 07:10 AM
Haha wow, what a coincidence - http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=95926

ryboto
10-15-2011, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the link! Pm'd the guy, what do I need to make that work in my car? I'll look up talons thread.

ryboto
10-15-2011, 04:34 PM
Thinking of pulling the trigger on this, need info on the how to get a reverse lock out with this transmission. I know I need a specific ecu, is that all? Or do I need to reflash the ecu/kpro it?

AKEP
10-15-2011, 06:46 PM
that, i dont know. as far as making it work like oem...

bchaney
10-15-2011, 08:14 PM
I believe you need a specific ECU and the matching engine harness. Seriously tho, it's not worth the $ or the trouble.

I was emailing him because that's a nice trans - he will go down to 1200 shipped. Email him for faster response. If I could get it for 1000 I'd be very tempted but that's only because I already have a nice setup. If I had to do it all over again - this is the trans setup I'd go with.

ryboto
10-16-2011, 08:05 AM
I believe you need a specific ECU and the matching engine harness. Seriously tho, it's not worth the $ or the trouble.

I was emailing him because that's a nice trans - he will go down to 1200 shipped. Email him for faster response. If I could get it for 1000 I'd be very tempted but that's only because I already have a nice setup. If I had to do it all over again - this is the trans setup I'd go with.

So if that ecu/harness isn't worth the money should I just not do a 6speed, or just not worry about the lockout?

ryboto
10-17-2011, 10:53 AM
so, sent money to the guy, now I've got to get together a flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing, plus a short shifter. Found a nuspeed for pretty cheap. Anyone have any opinions on an inexpensive clutch setup?

K20a2 flywheels are on k20a.org for like 40-80, or I could get something aftermarket....is the extra money worth spending if this is just a daily driver?

Blah1219
10-17-2011, 01:22 PM
I hear that the lightweight flywheels drop rpms faster when clutch is in, and also has a better response. Correct me on this it has a lower idle (could be wrong). It depends on your preference. The k20a2 flywheel is a pound lighter than the k20a3, and you have a larger variety of clutches to pick from. My a2 flywheel weighs in at 15.4 lbs.

mitchlikesbikes
10-17-2011, 02:44 PM
if you aren't gonna boost the k24 i'd just do a k20a2 flywheel and a nice stage 2 of some sort. keep it simple

bchaney
10-18-2011, 03:46 AM
So if that ecu/harness isn't worth the money should I just not do a 6speed, or just not worry about the lockout?

I was saying I wouldn't worry about the lockout feature. That is a sweet trans setup you just picked up. I'm jealous.

if you aren't gonna boost the k24 i'd just do a k20a2 flywheel and a nice stage 2 of some sort. keep it simple

^ this. I got a k20a2 fly for 50 shipped from k20a.org classifieds, got it resurfaced for 40ish, and picked up a competition stg 2 clutch kit which includes clutch + pressure plate + new throwout bearing. I think it was 300ish.

02TWSI
10-18-2011, 03:59 AM
My budget clutch setup was $90 for a resurfaced a2 flywheel from fepster, and a clubrsx oem clutchmasters clutch kit for like $180 I believe?

Seriously, reverse lockout is a joke

Go with a buddy club short shifter, nuspeed one is a joke in comparison

ryboto
10-18-2011, 04:42 AM
My budget clutch setup was $90 for a resurfaced a2 flywheel from fepster, and a clubrsx oem clutchmasters clutch kit for like $180 I believe?

Seriously, reverse lockout is a joke

Go with a buddy club short shifter, nuspeed one is a joke in comparison

I'd get an OE clutch, but eventually I'd like to drop a K24A2 in the car, so I'd want one that's spec'd for higher torque than stock, right? Also, didn't read through the entire thread about it, but is the BCSS still available? The nuspeed is pretty inexpensive, what's the difference between the two?

02TWSI
10-18-2011, 06:09 AM
The buddy club is the entire shifter assembly and just recently became available again, it was discontinued for a while.

ryboto
10-18-2011, 07:42 AM
The buddy club is the entire shifter assembly and just recently became available again, it was discontinued for a while.

What exactly does this mean(noob here). Will the Nuspeed require additional parts?

AKEP
10-18-2011, 03:08 PM
no, the nuespeed one is like a little piece that makes it feel like a short shifter, but it just makes the vertical shift shorter, not the horizontal shift. the buddy club one is a complete shifter mechanism, the thing you see when you pull that cover off the shifter, all of it. its theonly proper short shifter for us.

ryboto
10-18-2011, 05:11 PM
bought it! Now my dilemma is a clutch kit. If I'm going to go K24A2, should I get a Stage 2, or will an OE clutch be enough?

mitchlikesbikes
10-18-2011, 05:17 PM
i'd do at least a stage 1.5 or so. stage 2 wouldn't hurt though

AKEP
10-18-2011, 07:45 PM
6 puck sprung, never look back!

i have a k24a2, rsx oem clutch and boosted, 300hp, no slip.

bchaney
10-19-2011, 07:24 AM
Dam man your on a spending spree haha. BCSS is def the way to go.

The Clutchmasters stg4 seems to be popular because it's a similar price to the lower stages. I went stg2 because I don't plan on any additional power adders and stg2 is gonna be more DD-able than stg4.

ryboto
10-19-2011, 08:36 AM
Dam man your on a spending spree haha. BCSS is def the way to go.

The Clutchmasters stg4 seems to be popular because it's a similar price to the lower stages. I went stg2 because I don't plan on any additional power adders and stg2 is gonna be more DD-able than stg4.

Yea, tell me about it. Until I get my security deposit back, a raise, and a holiday bonus, not going to be doing any more spending. Bushings and a clutch is all I need now. I'm going to go stage 1.5, there's a Competition Clutch on clubrsx for $259, unless you guys think the OEM replacement clutch by Competition Clutch would be enough for a K24 in the future? I could save $100...at this point I'd be happy saving $10...

lemonhead228
10-20-2011, 11:11 PM
It depends on what you gonna do for your build. An oem replacement should be fine if you just doing I/h/e. But if you're gonna build it than go with the stage 1.5. It's better for that tourque if you get the stage 1.5 cuz its gonna grip more even if you run all stock.

bchaney
10-24-2011, 09:21 AM
Yea, tell me about it. Until I get my security deposit back, a raise, and a holiday bonus, not going to be doing any more spending. Bushings and a clutch is all I need now. I'm going to go stage 1.5, there's a Competition Clutch on clubrsx for $259, unless you guys think the OEM replacement clutch by Competition Clutch would be enough for a K24 in the future? I could save $100...at this point I'd be happy saving $10...

Check the Competetion Clutch site for specs. I think my stg2 was rated for "80% more tq than stock" so I figured out what that was and estimated wtq rating and compared that to how much wtq similar setups were making.

ryboto
10-24-2011, 12:41 PM
Check the Competetion Clutch site for specs. I think my stg2 was rated for "80% more tq than stock" so I figured out what that was and estimated wtq rating and compared that to how much wtq similar setups were making.

I'm definitely not going to need 80% more, if/when I go K24, i'm going to be keeping it NA.

bchaney
10-25-2011, 05:49 AM
Uhhh... are you just guessing or are you actually calculating?

k20a2 flywheel rated tq is 142ft-lb. Assuming 20% losses that's 114wtq. A n/a k24 with bolt-ons and kpro makes about 200wtq which is 75% more tq than stock.

Technically you're right that you don't need 80% but that's pretty damn close.

ryboto
10-27-2011, 08:53 AM
Uhhh... are you just guessing or are you actually calculating?

k20a2 flywheel rated tq is 142ft-lb. Assuming 20% losses that's 114wtq. A n/a k24 with bolt-ons and kpro makes about 200wtq which is 75% more tq than stock.

Technically you're right that you don't need 80% but that's pretty damn close.

Didn't think the flywheel would be the issue...not sure why it was recommended then...

bchaney
10-29-2011, 02:20 AM
I'm saying the torque at the flywheel is 142 according to Honda. The dyno numbers I used were torque at the wheels so you have to do the conversion from flywheel tq to wheel tq to be able to compare. I just estimated 20% difference because that's common on fwd cars.