PDA

View Full Version : Tranny removal out the top

bchaney
10-15-2011, 07:32 AM
Anyone ever done it? I removed the assembled engine/trans out the top but I'm considering swapping out just the trans now...

Hoping I don't have to remove the subframe and get an alignment but if that is definitely the best way to do it, so be it.

Civic5lug
10-15-2011, 07:56 AM
fuck that! drop that shit from the bottom, man up lol

Ba82Ep3
10-15-2011, 08:15 AM
Mark the four subframe bolts to the subframe prior to removal, so once you put it back together you can line it up with no problem.

And getting the trans out through the top without the engine attached is near impossible. There just isn't enough room between the drivers side frame rail and trans to get the trans off with the engine attached.

k24_dc5
10-15-2011, 08:22 AM
Does removing the subframe require an alignment? I have removed mine a couple times and never gotten one afterwards.

Civic5lug
10-15-2011, 08:54 AM
Does removing the subframe require an alignment? I have removed mine a couple times and never gotten one afterwards.
yes

RedSiBaron
10-15-2011, 09:46 AM
before i dropped my tranny i marked the subframe and when re-installing i slowly put it in while slowly tightening around all four bolts and adjusting and double checking as i went with my friend helping me maintain their alignment. My alignment was still perfect after doing it.

that said, dont assume you did it right, go get it checked, if you put it on the rack and it doesnt need an alignment, the shop shouldnt charge you.

RotaryGreg
10-15-2011, 11:55 AM
While we are on this topic, is it easier to drop the subframe and tranny out the bottom, or to yank the engine and tranny together out the top? I just hate messing around with the transmission and engine sitting in there, propped up on a jack stand.

Im nearing the end of my trans/LSD rebuild so im going to be swapping trannies and clutch and im wondering which way i should go about this? I hate dropping subframes when im working in my garage. I've been spoiled by years of working on a hoist. lol. And i cant do it at work because we dont have any spare hoists i can tie up while i get the flywheel machined.

The alignment thing isnt an issue for me because i have an alignment rack at work. I need to do another alignment on my car anyways as the front camber is way out. Waiting on my dad to get my cam bolts.

I realize that there are more things to take off when pulling the engine and trans together, but those things dont seem too much to me. Fuel line, engine harness, A/C (thinking of just unbolting the compressor and letting it stay in the car with the lines hooked up. or i can evac the system at work and recharge it after the swap). Those are the only extras i can think of...

what do you guys think?

MajorJones
10-15-2011, 12:26 PM
In my personal opinion i would just pull the sub-frame and drop the tranny out. Just doesn't seem efficient pulling out more than you need to. I've never pulled a trans from above so i don't know exactly everything you need to do. Seems like it would more time consuming...Just my quick 2cents

k24_dc5
10-15-2011, 03:08 PM
yes

Interesting. I must have gotten lucky.

yyi
10-15-2011, 03:16 PM
I agree with most of the above if you are doing just the trans. With the help of 2 buddies, we knocked out a clutch job in pretty much one day by dropping it from below.

AKEP
10-15-2011, 05:33 PM
way more work going through the top. much much easier going from bottom. wait for a hoist? pay your manager or something... instead of awsting time pulling the engine up, all you gotta do is lift the car. done.

RotaryGreg
10-16-2011, 06:23 AM
way more work going through the top. much much easier going from bottom. wait for a hoist? pay your manager or something... instead of awsting time pulling the engine up, all you gotta do is lift the car. done.

Waiting for a hoist isnt an option. we are on the verge of winter tire season. So we have one bay per mechanic and an alignment rack. We do have a spare bay, but its filled with skids of rims and tires.

i couldnt pay to work on my car...i just couldnt. Just like i couldnt pay someone to work on my car. it would just kill me. haha.

guess i'll be doing it at home on my back. I'll drop the frame. I think I'll borrow our engine hanger from work though. that might make it a little easier.

I also like being able to take my time when i work on my stuff. I dont want to be rushed to get it done as fast as possible. I like to take my time and look up torque specs. antiseize everything. etc.

Thanks for the input though. I'll definitly take your advice and drop the frame.

Civic5lug
10-16-2011, 10:31 AM
no hoist needed bro, just a small piece of wood on a floor jack under the oil pan :thumbu: dont put too much pressure. Just enought to take the stress off the mount