PDA

View Full Version : EP3s have glass transmission? (gear grind woes)

DRP967
10-16-2011, 10:38 AM
Might as well be huh? Now that I have your attention...how many of you have tranny crunch/grinds? ie. 1st to 2nd or the the infamous 3rd gear grind/pop out. It seems to me along with the weak motor mounts in the EP3 (even the JDM review video of the EP3 the guy says EP3's have weak motor mounts but thats another isssue) that our EP3s have crappy transmissions. Most people, specifically Honda/Acura enthusiasts will concur that Honda for the most part makes good motors, but sh!tty transmissions. I was on 8th gen civic and those people with the FA/FG Si Civics complain about the same issues of 3rd gear grind/pop out when shifting spiritedly. Now when I drive like a grandma shifting around 3K, I am good. Now sometimes I will open the car up/go WOT and bam I get the grind and cringe. And yes I am depressing the clutch all the way to the floor and not doing anything sketchy such as speed/power shifting which btw I think is a cruel and idiotic method of rowing through the gears. Now what I ask is for most if not all of you with the grind issue, what did you do about it? I keep hearing/reading rave reviews about this GM synchromesh fluid, anyone vouch for that? Also just for your information if you didnt know, most of my friends have DC5s and they to have the 3rd gear grind/pop out. Well for my car/situation I cant remember when I ever had a pop out, just the grinds. But its not just...we drive Hondas dammit...they shouldnt have poopy trannies. BTW our 2002 Acura TL has been through 2 trannies.

RotaryGreg
10-16-2011, 11:14 AM
i think its the way people treat them. I have 185 000km on my tranny and it has no real grinding issues. I dont baby it. hell, i downshift without the clutch while left foot braking on a somewhat regular basis when im driving spiritedly. Last winter I did an endurance night nav rally where i was shifting constantly up and down through the gears for hours while only using the clutch when i found a straight piece of road (which was rare where we were). I wasnt doing it to torture the car. It was slippery as hell and i really needed to play off the throttle an brake constantly to maintane average speed through the twisty, icey logging roads.

Years ago when i was all into suzuki swifts (my first car, first love. haha) we all bitched about them having glass trannies. I put 3 trannies in mine in less than 2 years.

a few years after that I had an rx8 and tracked it regularily. Everyone complained those trannies were junk/made of glass too. I never had problems with mine. I learned my lessons from the suzuki.

All the 350z guys we knew that tracked with us bitched about their trannies too.

What you have to realize is that ep3s arent porsches. they are built economically to be economical and somewhat fun to drive. While they are able to handle redline shifts when they are new. they cant do it forever. Things where out. Its the drivers fault. get over it.

Ba82Ep3
10-16-2011, 11:42 AM
Dear TS,

All of the information you posted about the 'weaknesses' and known issues of the k20a3 trans makes me ask one question...

Why did you post this thread?

If you are aware of the issues, as most of us are, then why did you ask the question... "EP3s have glass transmission? (gear grind woes)". Its not like its even in the transmission section, so if you DID uncover some unknown fact, it would be easily visible in the proper area for interested users.

I know im not a mod, nor does my opinion really matter but... a lot of your threads belong in the Off Topic section. All this does is clutter up useful information that is supposed to be easily found when looked or searched for. Its useless threads like this i hate scrolling through when i DO search for something useful, and a BIG reason new people DONT like to use the search feature because they DONT wanna filter through endless BS threads.

Please stop,

Concerned EPHatch user

ShadowEP3
10-16-2011, 12:02 PM
dear ts,

all of the information you posted about the 'weaknesses' and known issues of the k20a3 trans makes me ask one question...

If you are aware of the issues, as most of us are, then why did you ask the question... "ep3s have glass transmission? (gear grind woes)". Its not like its even in the transmission section, so if you did uncover some unknown fact, it would be easily visible in the proper area for interested users.

I know im not a mod, nor does my opinion really matter but... A lot of your threads belong in the off topic section. All this does is clutter up useful information that is supposed to be easily found when looked or searched for. Its useless threads like this i hate scrolling through when i do search for something useful, and a big reason new people dont like to use the search feature because they dont wanna filter through endless bs threads.

Please stop,

EPHatch

ftfy

apexracing
10-16-2011, 12:20 PM
I get a third gear grind at high rpm shifting. But i'm at 202k miles on stock clutch and trans for christ's sake. My 08 civic on the other hand does not like to go into second gear, some times it takes 3 trys. some times first is just as hard. I have read that the clutch MS has allot to do with it. But as far as the 06-up 6 spds. they have faulty syncro's every one knows it and honda fixes them if they are under warranty. If you dont like your grinds then shift sooner, going all the way to redline really isnt making you any faster. Also take time to shift properly, give the trans time to catch up. Our gear boxes are not sequential. If your that worried about it by carbon syncro's from a s2k gear box.

sleepy ep3
10-16-2011, 12:21 PM
I swapped my k series trans for a t56. Haven't had any issues

mitchlikesbikes
10-16-2011, 01:20 PM

fuck yeah!

usedep3
10-16-2011, 01:35 PM
Dear TS,

All of the information you posted about the 'weaknesses' and known issues of the k20a3 trans makes me ask one question...

If you are aware of the issues, as most of us are, then why did you ask the question... "EP3s have glass transmission? (gear grind woes)". Its not like its even in the transmission section, so if you DID uncover some unknown fact, it would be easily visible in the proper area for interested users.

I know im not a mod, nor does my opinion really matter but... a lot of your threads belong in the Off Topic section. All this does is clutter up useful information that is supposed to be easily found when looked or searched for. Its useless threads like this i hate scrolling through when i DO search for something useful, and a BIG reason new people DONT like to use the search feature because they DONT wanna filter through endless BS threads.

Please stop,

Concerned EPHatch user

http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab176/the_happy_octopus/tumblr_lcd4eaLJbu1qbxcao.gif

AKEP
10-16-2011, 02:49 PM
rebuilt it with new gears and sychnros and cleaned out the garbage left in the case, then only used AMSoil synchromesh specifically for hondas. butter.

AKEP
10-16-2011, 02:50 PM

joke? kinda funny...

powdbyrice
10-16-2011, 04:37 PM
Dear TS,

Please stop,

Concerned EPHatch user

because he likes seeing himself post. have you seen his other posts?

and his infamous, "have you tasted your own jizz?" thread on clubrsx.

mitchlikesbikes
10-16-2011, 04:59 PM

hahahahaha link?

makavelibranded
10-16-2011, 05:29 PM
Its to bad we dont still have that 30 plus page of names of users who have tranny issues. Im guessing none of you remember that? cars were brand fucking new built with horrible transmissions.

With that said im at 74k boosted for 10k+, stock clutch, original tran fluid,DD, spirited, autocross, onramp racing lol, you name it and knock on wood not one problem, minus not always getting into reverse but what Honda isint like that lol, ts its really just a hit or miss.

AKEP
10-16-2011, 06:04 PM
who knows. after that amsoil and synchros though i swear its better than brand new.

ep3colin
10-16-2011, 06:13 PM
honda mtf, and dont powershift 97k no problems

Civic5lug
10-16-2011, 07:14 PM
I've used and abused my trans for over 80k and the syncro's are still fresh. some guys shift game is just weak lol!

Dear TS,

Please stop,

Concerned EPHatch user
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/yeahhhbuddy.gif (http://www.threadbombing.com/details.php?image_id=5476)

LMFAO
i thought he looked formilar :mconfused:

junevtec
10-16-2011, 07:36 PM
i drive like a old head so i guess itll last but my clutch on the other hand wont lol

usedep3
10-16-2011, 09:02 PM
hahahahaha link?

my contribution from one of his other misplaced threads: link (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?65840-EP3-2-seater-neater&p=923283&viewfull=1#post923283)

just sayin (http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=488199)

2012 aka costco aka DRP967 aka etc etc

Blah1219
10-16-2011, 09:22 PM
Tranny flush saved me from the infamous high rev third gear grind. Now it shifts like butter. We'll see with all the new toys that i'm adding on.

gamma6
10-16-2011, 09:47 PM
my contribution from one of his other misplaced threads: link (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?65840-EP3-2-seater-neater&p=923283&viewfull=1#post923283)

WOW so that shit is true! Thats freaking grosse and wierd

Ba82Ep3
10-16-2011, 10:26 PM
Snotty consistency? WHAT THE FUCK BUFFALO BILL?? It puts the cock away and does as its told! Effing freak...

powdbyrice
10-16-2011, 10:40 PM
I <3 the interwebz

j0000stin
10-17-2011, 01:16 AM
Snotty consistency? WHAT THE FUCK BUFFALO BILL?? It puts the cock away and does as its told! Effing freak...

damnit! now everytime i hack a loogie(sp) this is gunna run through my head

blueandgoldep3
10-17-2011, 01:55 AM
daaaaammmnnn some serious hostility itt, what happened to the friendly were a rare breed of ep3 owners unity we usually have going lol

POOPTOOTH
10-17-2011, 06:43 AM
He's a repeat offender. Plus its threads like this, or lack there of, that makes this a great place, and we like to keep it that way.

usedep3
10-17-2011, 08:31 AM
I <3 the interwebz

http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/photos/images/original/000/133/593/innanep.jpg?1307938009

sleepy ep3
10-17-2011, 10:46 AM
and his infamous, "have you tasted your own jizz?" thread on clubrsx.Whhhaaatttt?? WTF?

mitchlikesbikes
10-17-2011, 02:16 PM
holy fuck hahahahahahahahahah

bizzle
10-20-2011, 03:47 AM
I sometimes grind going into 2nd and 3rd if I am at the redline before shift but honestly I think it's more of an issue of not pushing the clutch pedal in enough before I start to pull or or push into the next gear.

AKEP
10-20-2011, 05:26 AM
I sometimes grind going into 2nd and 3rd if I am at the redline before shift but honestly I think it's more of an issue of not pushing the clutch pedal in enough before I start to pull or or push into the next gear.
no, honda really fucked us on this transmission. they have a recall for fg/fa transmissions that fix the same part number for 3rd gear but refuse to fix the ep transmission. i ordered the parts myself and replaced it. shifts like butter. also having light flywheel keeps the syncros stress free.

bizzle
10-21-2011, 05:23 AM
no, honda really fucked us on this transmission. they have a recall for fg/fa transmissions that fix the same part number for 3rd gear but refuse to fix the ep transmission. i ordered the parts myself and replaced it. shifts like butter. also having light flywheel keeps the syncros stress free.
Well, I believe thats the case but I am just saying in my particular trans, I think that is my issue. I have a stage 4 clutch and I am pretty sure an 8 lb flywheel (original for sale post is gone but its Blown05Si's old car, but no longer supercharged and basically all back to stock except the trans and head). The reason I think MY issue is just not pushing the clutch in enough is because I do it all the time (in all gears) because the pedal is so damn heavy in comparison to what I am used to.

For s&g's, I am going to test this out today and make sure I push the pedal in enough.

bizzle
10-21-2011, 05:44 PM
Took it to the redline in first into second and second into third, made sure I pushed the pedal to the floor and shifted, smooth as it could be. I shifted very fast, I didn't put any delay in movement between gears. Almost 135k, maybe I'm lucky?

Ba82Ep3
10-21-2011, 06:49 PM
Like Brucie said... its that shift game. A lot of people just dont know how to properly drive a manual. Combine that with the fact a lot of inexperienced kids are in the Honda "game"... and you get a bad rap on a specific trans/engine platform.

You really have to consider the source of the majority of the complaints...

AKEP
10-22-2011, 12:38 AM
Well, I believe thats the case but I am just saying in my particular trans, I think that is my issue. I have a stage 4 clutch and I am pretty sure an 8 lb flywheel (original for sale post is gone but its Blown05Si's old car, but no longer supercharged and basically all back to stock except the trans and head). The reason I think MY issue is just not pushing the clutch in enough is because I do it all the time (in all gears) because the pedal is so damn heavy in comparison to what I am used to.

For s&g's, I am going to test this out today and make sure I push the pedal in enough.

bleed your clutch line if you havent. if the res is dark you should just flush it with some high end brake fluid. that should help.

bizzle
10-22-2011, 05:27 AM
bleed your clutch line if you havent. if the res is dark you should just flush it with some high end brake fluid. that should help.
It looked pretty good last time I checked but it wouldn't hurt. I am just lazy because of a very long commute that requires shifting. I maybe made it sound a little worse than it really is, because I don't grind a ton, but when I do, it's just because of lazy foot work.

AKEP
10-22-2011, 08:00 AM
yeah, it happens.