PDA

View Full Version : Mugen wheel lug nuts, can someone confirm their material?

DRP967
10-17-2011, 11:21 AM
http://yhst-1408381693991.us-dc1-edit.store.yahoo.net/I/yhst-1408381693991_2084_46497542

Mugen Gunmetal Lug Nuts. From the 2009 Civic Mugen Si and comes in a set of 20 lug nuts so perfect for both 5 Lug or 4 Lug wheels. These are Taper nut (19 mm) and will most Mugen wheels as well as other after market wheels. Come in a package of 20 lug nuts only, locks are not available.

http://site.icbmotorsport.com/Mugen/Mugen_09_Civic_Si_Gunmetal_Lug_Nuts_1.jpg
Here is how it looks like when installed

MGN078 $79.97

Copy/pasted from JDM land, can someone confirm what material these lug nuts are made out of? I am hoping its either steel or chromoly. Reason I ask is because I dont like running aluminum lug nuts. Need confirmation ASAP thanks.

PatrickJamesYu
10-17-2011, 01:18 PM
I'm 90% sure these are forged steel

DRP967
10-17-2011, 03:05 PM
I'm 90% sure these are forged steel

Some others have said the same. I would think so too, none the less I just ordered em.

PatrickJamesYu
10-17-2011, 03:20 PM
Some others have said the same. I would think so too, none the less I just ordered em.

Yeah I hear of people complaining that they're heavy
and those people also say they THINK they're forged steel.

They look good, I'm thinking about ordering some once I get new wheels that accept them.

DRP967
10-17-2011, 03:31 PM
Yeah I hear of people complaining that they're heavy
and those people also say they THINK they're forged steel.

They look good, I'm thinking about ordering some once I get new wheels that accept them.

I dont mind a little heaviness for lug nuts, steel give me piece of mind over aluminum. Of course there is always titanium, strength of steel if not more and lightness of aluminum, best of both worlds. I like these lugs because they are tapered/conical so they should fit my aftermarket wheels, rpf1 to be specific. Plus their gunmetal w/bronze tint looks nice and since they are close end, water/dust/elements are not gonna reach the studs. I like open end extended lugs as well but seeing rusty brown water come out of em after a wash, not so pretty. Also for being Mugen brand, they are cheaper than most other name brands ie. Skunk2/Blox/Buddy Club/Zenki/Rays/etc. which to me is surprising. You would think these lugs being Mugen the price would be through the roof.

PatrickJamesYu
10-17-2011, 03:54 PM
I dont mind a little heaviness for lug nuts, steel give me piece of mind over aluminum. Of course there is always titanium, strength of steel if not more and lightness of aluminum, best of both worlds. I like these lugs because they are tapered/conical so they should fit my aftermarket wheels, rpf1 to be specific. Plus their gunmetal w/bronze tint looks nice and since they are close end, water/dust/elements are not gonna reach the studs. I like open end extended lugs as well but seeing rusty brown water come out of em after a wash, not so pretty. Also for being Mugen brand, they are cheaper than most other name brands ie. Skunk2/Blox/Buddy Club/Zenki/Rays/etc. which to me is surprising. You would think these lugs being Mugen the price would be through the roof.

Yeah definitely
I have the blox forged steel open end
Nice lugs, definitely
Black chrome, really clean.
But yeah there is that rust factor
Can't use them on my current wheels though, I had to use Autozone lug nuts.
Isn't forged aluminum pretty strong/ strong enough though?

DRP967
10-17-2011, 05:38 PM
Yeah definitely
I have the blox forged steel open end
Nice lugs, definitely
Black chrome, really clean.
But yeah there is that rust factor
Can't use them on my current wheels though, I had to use Autozone lug nuts.
Isn't forged aluminum pretty strong/ strong enough though?

The blox black chrome ones are nice, if I am not mistaken they are chromoly. I used to have a set a long time ago that I used on some Slipstreams. How come they wont work on your current wheels? As for the autozone lug nuts, are those taper/conical or ball seat design?

From my experience with forged aluminum lug nuts (Skunk2 and Blox street series) I never had any issues. Sometimes there were installed with a impact gun (lazy mofos at Wheel works, usually now I tip the person and request they use a torque wrench and watch them like a hawk). I think if you dont take the wheels on/off constantly and or track the car you should be fine. Its subjective though because some will say they are fine and others wont go near an aluminum lug. Just like Muteki lug nuts, I haver never stripped a key but some have and swear that Muteki is bad. Others are like me and have not had any bad experience with the Muteki. So I guess the forged aluminum can work trouble free depending on how its used and who handles em. I just feel better with steel or if I can afford then titanium but either way im good. Its just nice that titanium wont rust like steel but then again rust will take a long long time before anything bad really happens. Plus I never seen a steel lug nut rust, at least not the Buddy Club/Mugen/Muteki ones.

DRP967
10-17-2011, 05:40 PM
P.S. apparently the blox lug nuts (street series to be specific) are forged AL7075 magnesium alloy...so since its a mixture of metals its stronger than just pure aluminum.

PatrickJamesYu
10-17-2011, 06:36 PM
The lug holes in my current wheels are even smaller than the average aftermarket wheel.
So far, 3 sets of aftermarket lugs I've tried to use, don't fit.
The tapered seat goes out too wide.
But the Autozone one doesn't flare out anywhere near as much as the other lugs I have.

DRP967
10-17-2011, 07:32 PM
The lug holes in my current wheels are even smaller than the average aftermarket wheel.
So far, 3 sets of aftermarket lugs I've tried to use, don't fit.
The tapered seat goes out too wide.
But the Autozone one doesn't flare out anywhere near as much as the other lugs I have.

Oh I see.

DRP967
10-19-2011, 07:41 PM
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6171/6262117445_ac9cf704b3_b.jpg

Got em today. :-)