PDA

View Full Version : what is the correct part?!!!

sacjumpman23
10-18-2011, 06:41 PM
Hey guys! Can you guys please help me out here. After extensive researching on coilovers/suspension im sold on the racelands paired with a camber kit as my suspension. My problem is that Ive read numerous time that i would need to reuse the oem top hat? I want to buy some new top hats or whatever it is that needs to put on the racelands from stock suspension but am not sure what part i need to buy(Sorry im still a noob at this.haha) I know that new ones arent necessary but stock suspension has seen a lot of mileage so new ones would be good. I read somewhere that someone said it is #9 and #12 from http://myhondapartsstore.com/myhonda/jsp/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=CIVIC&catcgry2=2002&catcgry3=3DR+SI&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=FRONT+SHOCK+ABSORBER&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no&systemcomp=&vinnoT=&trim=&trans=&view=normal Couldnt find anywhere else to verify this though. If you know the exact part and how many parts i would need please tell me! Thank you guys!

PatrickJamesYu
10-18-2011, 07:33 PM
You shouldn't need new parts though, no matter the milage.
The tophats are kind of a life time part.

BUT, it looks more like 9 through 12, not just 9 and 12.
#7 and 2, looks like they might be apart of it, but if I remember correctly those are only needed for the stock springs.

AKEP
10-18-2011, 07:35 PM
you want 7 and 9 on both sides at the least. i would just get the whole column of parts on the left side right there. minus the bolts of course. that way you don't cannibalize the stock struts at all.

sacjumpman23
10-18-2011, 07:53 PM
Got help quick! I like it! Thanks guys. So Patrick you're saying that new parts aren't necessary? If not i might as well save myself some money. I just seen other people saying that they replaced the top hat with a new one but no one recommended it, so I had to make sure.

carrito
10-18-2011, 09:56 PM
i only changed the number 9 in both sides...

PatrickJamesYu
10-18-2011, 10:29 PM
Got help quick! I like it! Thanks guys. So Patrick you're saying that new parts aren't necessary? If not i might as well save myself some money. I just seen other people saying that they replaced the top hat with a new one but no one recommended it, so I had to make sure.

Well getting new could be nicer, as you wont disassemble your stock suspension assemblies.
THUS, you can just throw it back in if you need to.
But I don't think it should be an issue.

Carrito said he replaced #9
If i remember correctly, that was like a plastic kind of bearing or retainer?

I'm running Koni shocks and reused my top hats after about 80,000 miles.

I did an install on an ep3 that had 140,000 miles on his car, and I reused the top hats and threw Racelands in there.

carrito
10-18-2011, 10:32 PM
Well getting new could be nicer, as you wont disassemble your stock suspension assemblies.
THUS, you can just throw it back in if you need to.
But I don't think it should be an issue.

Carrito said he replaced #9
If i remember correctly, that was like a plastic kind of bearing or retainer?

I'm running Koni shocks and reused my top hats after about 80,000 miles.

I did an install on an ep3 that had 140,000 miles on his car, and I reused the top hats and threw Racelands in there.

yup the number 9 is the plastic bearing, its like $15 each