PDA

View Full Version : k20z3 tranny internals in ep3 tranny case: can I reuse my ep3 stage 3 clutch & flyw ?

imthebro
10-18-2011, 06:45 PM
Hi

I'm looking for information in regards to my planned k20z3 tranny swap over the winter.

the car is running a k24a2 tsx engine on the stock ep3 5 spd tranny and the combo sucks big time.
too much power for a non lsd tranny and terrible gearing for track use ( not so bad for solo II given the tall 2nd gear).

thus I already know it's a pretty simple process of swapping transmission internals and speed gear and the what not, but i'm curious to know if I i will be able to reuse my current clutch (Bully stage 3, 4 puck clutch) and EP3 flywheel ?
(clutch has 3500k kms on it, 2000 done on track :mtongue: )

I'm guessing I can reuse it since I'm reusing the ep3 casing...

Anything special I need to know regarding throwout bearings ?

thanks

mitchlikesbikes
10-18-2011, 06:49 PM
yes you can. all k series engines are clutch interchangeable. the only thing that can cause variation is the flywheel. so like a k20a2 clutch won't work on the k20a3 flywheel or vice versa. even if you were doing a full z3 swap casing and all, your same clutch would work.

imthebro
10-18-2011, 06:52 PM
Thank you sir !

I didn't feel like spending $ on another clutch/flywheel combo

mitchlikesbikes
10-18-2011, 07:12 PM
yeah definitely not necessary, when upgrading from stock some people switch to the k20a2 flywheel just because of the wider range of clutches available for it, but if you've already got a stage 3 on the A3 flywheel there's definitely no need to upgrade

sleepy ep3
10-18-2011, 07:17 PM
It will work. I reused my stage 4 when I moved over to the z3 trans. Btw, make sure you get the speedo converter from Hybrid Racing

mitchlikesbikes
10-18-2011, 07:21 PM
It will work. I reused my stage 4 when I moved over to the z3 trans. Btw, make sure you get the speedo converter from Hybrid Racing

since he's changing speed gears and what not, isn't that unnecessary for this particular setup?

AKEP
10-18-2011, 07:37 PM
correct. he just has to put the speedo gear on the diff as far as i know. if hes using the z3 diff too

imthebro
10-19-2011, 08:22 AM
ya, i was planning on moving the speed gear to the diff and using the z3 LSD diff. one thing i'm not too certain is that there seems to be confusing information in regards to the input shaft bearing sizes being different and needing to be replaced... any input ?

thanks for all the input by the way !