PDA

View Full Version : door locking problem

AKAahlecks
10-26-2011, 02:30 AM
So I've had this problem for awhile now:mconfused:; I've had it since the beginning of my ownership with the car. My drivers side door doesn't lock normally. I can't push the little knob (or what ever you want to call it) down. The only way it goes up or down is when i have the door handled pulled halfway out (outside or inside) :mmad:. I can still use my key to lock the door, but when I try to use my remote the drivers side refuses to lock or unlock (that's where the key comes handy). So my question is: is it my door lock actuator that's the problem? Or is it something else?:mredface:

P.S.
I just want to thank ephatch for being so helpful with my past problems :mbiggrin:
I love you guys:mangel:

apexracing
10-26-2011, 10:13 AM
i dont think its a problem hondas are designed that way so people are less likely to lock they're keys inside the car.

BeaterEP
10-26-2011, 12:11 PM
If the remote isn't operating it, it could very well be the actuator acting up.
You might get in there and just make sure everything is linked up correctly, and that the actuator is plugged in and all that good stuff.

Let us know.

EDIT:
DIY Door Lock Actuator Thread (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?44557-DIY-door-lock-actuator...&highlight=door+lock+actuator)

AKAahlecks
10-26-2011, 01:33 PM
i dont think its a problem hondas are designed that way so people are less likely to lock they're keys inside the car.

I heard about this, but it would be nice if i was just able to get out of my car and lock it without the key.

If the remote isn't operating it, it could very well be the actuator acting up.
You might get in there and just make sure everything is linked up correctly, and that the actuator is plugged in and all that good stuff.

Let us know.

EDIT:
DIY Door Lock Actuator Thread (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?44557-DIY-door-lock-actuator...&highlight=door+lock+actuator)

The remote unlocks/locks the passenger and hatch, but not the drivers side :mcry:. I think when I first got the car I tried getting in there and I think everything is in place. So, I think I'll go ahead and order the actuator. Thanks a lot guys! :mbiggrin:

BeaterEP
10-26-2011, 02:04 PM
If you press the lock button on the remote while the driver's side door is unlocked, do the passenger's side and hatch still lock, or do they just click but not actually lock?

AKAahlecks
10-26-2011, 02:45 PM
If you press the lock button on the remote while the driver's side door is unlocked, do the passenger's side and hatch still lock, or do they just click but not actually lock?

They actually lock and unlock, like they move up and down and prevent or allow the door to be opened. The driver's side will not click, but it will lock if you push the button down and it will also unlock if you pull it up, but in order to move it up or down the handle has to be pulled about halfway (like you're opening the door). On the other hand, if the door handle (on either side of the door) is NOT pulled, then the button refuses to go up if it's down or go down if it is up.

gtolio
10-26-2011, 03:13 PM
Again, I think what you're describing is how the door is designed, as noted below.

So does your remote lock/unlock the drivers side door?

AKAahlecks
10-27-2011, 02:53 AM
So does your remote lock/unlock the drivers side door?

No, it does not. Neither does pressing the lock/unlock button in the car.

andyman97
10-27-2011, 03:53 AM
All Hondas have the driver's door security feature to prevent accidentally locking the keys inside as stated above, that is normal, my old crx even had it. The issue with the remote points to the actuator, I think you're on the right track.

AKAahlecks
10-27-2011, 04:41 AM
All Hondas have the driver's door security feature to prevent accidentally locking the keys inside as stated above, that is normal, my old crx even had it. The issue with the remote points to the actuator, I think you're on the right track.

I'm so lost now. So it is a safety feature? If I do replace the actuator I should be able to lock and unlock my car with the remote though, correct?

So to verify (as clear and detailed as I can be)
-The door "locks" and "unlocks" perfectly fine (preventing/allowing the door to be opened)
-The lock button (or whatever its called) does not move up or down unless the door handle is opened half way.
-The "button" doesn't move up or down when I lock/unlock the car from the inside using the lock/unlock switch
-When the car is unlocked and I try lock the car with the remote, all doors will lock except for the driver's side and vice versa.
-I am still able to lock/unlock the driver's side using the key (without fiddling with the door handle)

Thanks for everyone's help!

andyman97
10-27-2011, 06:26 AM
The remote and electric switch use the actuator. The actual lock mechanism is mechanical. Your electric actuator has failed. Pulling out the handle and using your key strictly uses the mechanical assembly and does not use the actuator. Everything works as it should except for the actuator.

BeaterEP
10-27-2011, 06:44 AM
Exactly.
The safety/convenience feature is one thing.
But the fact that you can't lock or unlock the door with the remote points to the actuator having a problem.

So, it's new actuator time! :mbiggrin:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/catimgs/14s5s01_b5310.png

REF# 4/25 in the pic.
PN# 72155-S5A-A01 - $34.06

Pretty sure that's what you're looking for. You need the Left side, not Right, and all the other part numbers in the 20s are for the left side, soooo...
Also, since the driver's side actuator keys the other locks when you're using the remote, that might explain why #25 costs a bit more.

gtolio
10-27-2011, 08:53 AM
Yep, sounds like the actuator. It's not a hard install, you just have to take the door apart. I did one the other day. See post #3 on this page for the link to the DIY.

apexracing
10-27-2011, 08:56 AM
I'm sorry, your post didnt mention the remote or the lock switch. or i missed it. gl op.

AKAahlecks
10-27-2011, 01:13 PM
Alright! Part ordered! Thanks you guys! :mbiggrin:

AKAahlecks
11-03-2011, 03:38 AM
Woo! My part is coming tomorrow (technically today)! :D I have the DIY page up and I'm ready to do this!