PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk sidewinders...

04EP3Hatch
10-26-2011, 09:49 PM
Well guys I'm considering biting the bullet and going for a sidewinder manifold, I am hearing a lot of good things about the OBX one but I am worried about clearance of the wastegate and under the hood, and sidewinder guys care to express opinions

Ba82Ep3
10-26-2011, 10:05 PM
In for info!

AKEP
10-27-2011, 07:42 AM
http://www.rsaperformance.com/obx-k20-k-swap-sidewinder-turbo-manifold-civic-integra.html
if its that one, its not gunna fly in the ep. kswaps only.

if you want a sidewinder i have a twin scroll one for ya :thumbu:

heyvortek
10-27-2011, 06:24 PM
sidewinders are more efficient than log style such as the cybernation, treadstone, and revhard. the sidewinder does not have much air interference(if that makes any sense) due to each port being seperated. if u look at turbo 101 thread, it explains better. i have a spare peakboost mani if ur interested ;)

ginger
10-27-2011, 10:32 PM
have you looked at the ctd fab top mount? thats what im running with a 35r... works amazing...

check out my thread "boosting in 6 weeks"

Manny Kid 15
11-07-2011, 05:21 PM
i am curious as well seeing that i am planning on boosting my Ep pretty soon... and saw the sidewinder but dont really know anything about them...

rsxthug
02-03-2012, 06:57 PM
i jus bought a sidewinder from a shop in orlando they custom made me one planning in putting it togeather next month

AKEP
02-04-2012, 07:28 PM
cool. make a rides thread

Civic5lug
02-05-2012, 07:44 AM
cool. make a rides thread

:rofl:

The only fitment issues with a wastegate would be on a k24 swap. On mine i have the 60mm Tial and had to do some triming. Even with a 44 i think it still would've hit.

And for christ sake, invest into a better quality manifold, You get what you pay for!

weltall
03-15-2012, 07:42 AM
also as with most sidewinders to eliminate the boost creep there are two options
A. instead of allowing the vent port of the control system to "vent" make an intake for the turbo that will always have vaccum on it ALWAYS WILL this will give the wastegate the "help" in opening that sidewinders are not designed to have as they are needed to spool only and do not create enough back pressure to controll the boost properly when only using the venting option in your boost control setup (ie the hondata boost by gear setup ) instead of letting the filter for the vent sit there put it to a vaccum source (the home made intake)
i did this on my old one and i was finally able to run boost by gear in my car properly even at 592 because the boost had nazi like controls on it

B. hack your sidewinder and put a 60mm gate on it (i dont prefer this method) as you still will see some of the same issues as not doing a thing but minute enough to where you wont really notice it except for increased lag once the gate startes to open and then becomes controlled (with a larger gate you can very well max out a solenoid like an injector) i know my rinky dink gm solenoid was maxed till i bought the beefier one hondata now sells and it went even lower when i made an intake with the helper vaccum

option a has been used by turbo v8 guys for years as the issue has been a daily part of life for them and we are still dumbfounded by it (but if you think about it our sidewinder mani is thier reg one)
best way for you to see this is to look at the installation of a greddy profec e01 solenoid installation and think why would they need vaccum all the time (since it wants you to plumb the vent to the intake filter)

weltall
03-15-2012, 07:43 AM
^^^^^ yes that just happened

sorry i cannot give extra detailed pics of my prototype i made that worked im in bahrain right now

makavelibranded
03-15-2012, 09:03 AM
^^^^^ yes that just happened

Out of the fucking woodworks FTW lol.

sleepy ep3
03-15-2012, 01:56 PM
Out of the fucking woodworks FTW lol.

I was just thinking that! Lmao

To the OP, just buy a full race or peakboost manifold if you can find one. The cheaper manifolds have little shit that will irk you. If I could do it all again, that's what I would do

AKEP
03-17-2012, 04:13 AM
to update this, i DID find an OBX top mount. its still like ~$500 lol. includes first part of down pipe w/vbands. thats about the cheapest tubular mani setup you can find, but at that i would still consider spending the few more monies on CTD, cause thats some high quality manifold he has compared to the one i found.

Euro-Yellow-Ep3
03-17-2012, 11:27 AM
to update this, i DID find an OBX top mount. its still like ~$500 lol. includes first part of down pipe w/vbands. thats about the cheapest tubular mani setup you can find, but at that i would still consider spending the few more monies on CTD, cause thats some high quality manifold he has compared to the one i found.

Just contacted ctdfab. They said tubular Mani and 3' downpipe $1050 shipped to my door

sleepy ep3
03-17-2012, 01:00 PM
Just contacted ctdfab. They said tubular Mani and 3' downpipe $1050 shipped to my door

Gotta pay to play.......:mangel:

Honestly, if you're sweating the cost, DON'T DO IT. Switching to a sidewinder manifold is a ton of work, and a lot of things have to be moved around and heat wrapped hardcore. The little shit will nickel and dime you to death.

Euro-Yellow-Ep3
03-17-2012, 06:39 PM
Gotta pay to play.......:mangel:

Honestly, if you're sweating the cost, DON'T DO IT. Switching to a sidewinder manifold is a ton of work, and a lot of things have to be moved around and heat wrapped hardcore. The little shit will nickel and dime you to death.

Didnt mean for it to come out that way, i acually like this manifold because of the turbo positioning, and within the next few weeks im going to purchase it. Ill post pics as soon as it comes in.

AKEP
03-18-2012, 02:51 AM
yeah, but you're going to get his complete downpipe, the obx is like, just the first part to get you started LOL. and it not schedule 40 piping either. some ss 321 and it doesn't look to fit, but who knows, we've had good luck with obx this far...still prefer schedule 40 tho.

sleepy ep3
03-18-2012, 10:35 PM
yeah, but you're going to get his complete downpipe, the obx is like, just the first part to get you started LOL. and it not schedule 40 piping either. some ss 321 and it doesn't look to fit, but who knows, we've had good luck with obx this far...still prefer schedule 40 tho.

Sleepy requires more explanation on what the hell this post was trying to explain.

AKEP
03-18-2012, 10:45 PM

Sleepy requires more explanation on what the hell this post was trying to explain.

for $1k, you get the top mount CTD makes with (im guessing) schedule 40 piping, the same stuff fullrace uses to build manifolds, and a giant 3" downpipe that probably bolts up to the catback, if not stock cat.

the obx top mount i found, is made of 321 Stainless Steel pipe, unknown quality/fitment like the rest of OBX products (and im the guy running an OBX LSD daily on boost) and a v-band "down pipe" that looks like its about 10 inches long.

what i was getting at is, you get what you pay for. I would not hesitate if i had the cash to get a ctd setup, but the budget minded booster willing to risk it might want to consider the obx manifold.

what im trying to say is, we need a guinea pig. LOL. I'm almost willing but i need to fix my ef so the ep can have some down time.

ginger
03-22-2012, 11:49 AM
i have the ctdfab kit, im a very good friend of vince <--- owner/only employ... he has an ep3 thats turbo with his topmount kit and a 57mm turbo. i have his kit, with a 35r on it. i used a k20 and then a k24 with no clearance issues. we used his kit to tweek the minimal issues out on my car. its the most litteral bolt on kit, and dependent on your turbo selection/ flange type (4bolt. 5bolt. v-band. gt4bolt) he will usually make the down pipe to fit your selection. oh, oh, oh, we made an unbreakable dump tube too. i wopuld know, im good at breaking my car/parts...

also, if you want a clean full setup. i believe he has a 3" k-teller exhaust in the office, for the right price would hook up as a turbo back kit. <<<<--------------- the way to go.

as for waste gate clearance, drop the tial 44mm, use the turbosmart 45mm gate. there 1/3 the size.

as for the steel for the manifolds, its the exact same as full-race and any other highend company uses... this is good shit. well worth the money over something your going to either get rid of later or have to repair because it cracked...

im just saying buy from people who know/own what you do and buy parts for your specific car not just for the k-series motor