PDA

View Full Version : New member, question about my k24a2

c0kefree
10-27-2011, 06:23 AM
Hey guys, what's up? I'd hate to make my first thread a question, but i'm honestly confused. Just recently bought a 02 ep3 with a k24a2 in it (pics later, she's cute :-)), what a step up from my db7!

Anyways, about 3 days ago (after owning the car for about two weeks) my check engine light came on while i was cruising on the highway, I pulled over and read the code, it's a P0325 (knock sensor circuit malfunction.) My question is: this NEVER comes on while cruising in town, and it always shuts off (when i turn the key off) until i'm back on the highway again.
I hear no audible engine knock what-so-ever, and i don't really notice any sluggish feeling on the highway. But than again i'm very new to this car. I made the mistake of putting regular in the car the first week, but i've since changed to premium (even trying octane booster) to rid me of this orange light of doom, but the effort was futile. Could this sensor be plain and simply going bad (that doesn't happen too often from my understanding)? Or should i bring the car in to my tuner to try and figure out if it's detonating? I'd love to avoid taking the intake manifold off to get to the sensor, but if this is a serious problem, i couldn't care less about doing it.

I've heard such things as knock sensors going "soft" and "ghost" knocks, so i'll try to address any reason for the ghost knock... it's a k24a2 (obv kpro'd) with avid racing solid motor mounts, dc headers, generic intake and 2.5 inch generic exhaust, i'm not aware of the type of knock sensor in the motor, weather it be a stock ep3 or the tsx. Motor has 25k give or take on it.

Cliffs for you lazy people:
- threw a p0325 code on the highway (knock sensor circuit malfunction)
- only comes on while cruising on the highway
- shuts off when i turn the car off and doesn't return until on the highway again.
- no audible engine knock
- no hesitation

Any information as to what the heck is causing this is VERY much appreciated. Thanks.

-Eric

andyman97
10-27-2011, 06:46 AM
Check the map. If you're on a basemap, get tuned immediately. You can also disable the knock sensor in kpro.

The reason I suggest getting tuned is because you have no idea how the car was tuned or if it was even tuned at all. I was in the same boat as you and a piston ringland cracked on the dyno. Now I'm in the process of finishing up a rebuild.

c0kefree
10-27-2011, 07:06 AM
It was tuned according to the previous owner by 1320 where i live. According to him it's safe settings + fuel econo. (I also have ZERO clue as to using kpro, and i only have a mac hah)

I do understand where you're coming from with the previous owner lying or whatnot, he seemed like a very honest guy, a regular on hondatech, but better safe than sorry!

And would disabling the knock sensor be a good idea...? If it's just a bad sensor or something.

Thanks for the input!

AKEP
10-27-2011, 07:27 AM
send me your kal and i'll look at it. i wanna know what some settings are in there.
http://hondata.com/updates/KManagerV3-0-3.exe
get it on a pc/laptop and connect to kpro, key in the on position but not started, go into kmanager and select Online>Tools>Download.

save the kal and send it to me. mugenep3 at gmail.com

c0kefree
10-27-2011, 07:40 AM
send me your kal and i'll look at it. i wanna know what some settings are in there.
http://hondata.com/updates/KManagerV3-0-3.exe
get it on a pc/laptop and connect to kpro, key in the on position but not started, go into kmanager and select Online>Tools>Download.

save the kal and send it to me. mugenep3 at gmail.com

I apologize for my naivety, but can i hook a macbook pro to the kpro? Or do i need a pc?

Edit- Google is amazing, i'll need to dual boot or buy a damn pc before i get anywhere in kpro.

AKEP
10-27-2011, 08:04 AM
u must have a friend with another laptop?

c0kefree
10-27-2011, 08:10 AM
Yessir, not available until i get out of work. I'll post up the file asap.