PDA

View Full Version : new 6 speed not shifting

newep
10-27-2011, 10:22 AM
I disassembled the 5speed, added the Lsd and 6th gear sets.
now that the trannyis reassembled, Im having a very difficult time putting it into gear.
1-2 no problems, pulling the up and down shifter lever to engage the other forks is way to tight and not lined up. I have to wiggle the up and down leaver back and forth and 1 -2 selector lever together to get it into neutral or the next gear.
Once its into the 3-4 slot , the rest 5-6 and reverse are easy, but again when I put it down into the 1-2 slot I cant get it back up.

I tried backing off the ball berings fork holders a bit- no help,
pulled the shifter- no visible problems..... kind of stummped and not wanting to go back into the tranny.

Any ideas?

AKEP
10-27-2011, 12:13 PM
did u put the triple cone syncros in backwards? i almost did that when i did mine.
you're probably going to have to go in again.

newep
10-27-2011, 12:58 PM
I'm almost positive i put the syncro in right. but the problem feels like its on the 1-2 fork.
the 3-4,5-6 and reverse all work fine.
its as if the 1-2 fork isint aligned properly, and the interlock is almost preventing the other forks to engage, unless its jiggled and persuaded to move over.
I only changed the 5-6 fork and reverse piece thingy, the 1-2 fork is stock 5speed and it never had a problem before....... so frustrating now that its in the car. And yes i tried it on the floor, all gears worked fine then i installed it and ..... no dice.

newep
10-27-2011, 05:08 PM
Second question; When changing the interlock, i switched the 5 speed interlock for the 6 speed one. Should i change the shift arms to the 6 speed as well? Do they matter?

Civic5lug
10-28-2011, 05:03 PM
Sucks bro but you'll have to go back into the trans. Did you have a problem setting the case's onto each other. Theres a small bushing in every hole where the shifter fork go. Make sure there not banged up. Also (i did this the first time i put my trans together) make sure the syncro hub matches the teeth on the slider. Mine were 3 teeth off and it fawked me all up lol

newep
11-06-2011, 08:32 PM
So tranny came apart, I rechecked and measured everything.
Turns out I had an extra spacer/washer/shim on the bottom of the main shaft.
I Put it all together and the same problem, it wont shift easily out of the 1-2, to the 3-4 gate.
I switched the 6speed shifter springs and shift arms onto the shifter shaft and tried again.
Amazingly it shifts with ease!

Has anyone else had to switch the entire 6 speed shifter over when converting the 5 speed to a 6 speed ?
Most places I've read people only needed to switch the interlock.

RotaryGreg
11-07-2011, 06:41 PM
dude, i hate say this, but there are 2 "spacer/washer/shims" between the mainshaft and bearing....one is actually a spring i beleive while the other is a spacer....i sure hope you ment there were 3 for some reason...cause as far as i've read/understand, this spring washer is actually quite important and im sure the spacer isnt there for show either....

newep
11-09-2011, 07:19 PM
Roterygreg- yes i meant there were 3 washers, 2 washers and the spring washer.

So I'm stumped. After the wrong washers episode, I reassembled and had a loud 2nd gear whine. Every gear worked fine, just a really loud whine only on second.
Pulled it out again(third time), checked and rechecked everything i could, the 1-2 syncro sleeve had a little bit of fresh wear on the top of it- looks like it was barely contacting the 2nd gear.
Cleaned everything i could, put it all back together. It shifted smooth on the floor by hand. No other problems found so I put it back in the car.
Test drive: reverse goes into and works fine, little sticky to pull out.
1st goes in easy,2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th all work fine. no whine no problems.
turn around and drive back down the street:
2nd,4th and 6th all grind for a fraction of a second before they go into gear. get back to the garage and all gears require a bit of force to put into now. I tried reverse and now have a really hard time trying to get it out of gear.

I'm completely out of ideas....... feel like I need to bite the bullet and give it to a tranny shop and hope they can do better:(

RotaryGreg
11-10-2011, 05:30 AM
dude, that sucks. I wouldnt give it to a tranny shop though. when its a frank tranny like yours is now, they might do worse....although i see you dont have many options left....

have you measured everything and compared it all to specs in the manual? How does the box go back together when you mate the clutch case to the tranny case? And the snap ring on the end of the countershaft, is it going in no problems? It seems like something is moving around that shouldnt.

Also, maybe you could post up the parts and part numbers that you added to make this sixth happen? some of the more experienced guys might be able to see something you missed you know?

newep
11-12-2011, 09:19 AM
Long story short, i picked up a complete 06 si internals minus the case for $100 2yrs ago. when i swapped the k24a1 in i installed the lsd at the same time. broke the tabs on the new release bearing and used the old one. few weeks ago the release bearing started to make noise (250,000kms on it). so i pulled the trans to change it and at the same time do the 6th gear.

everything i used is from the 06 si, gears, needle bearings, distance collar, syncro, bolts, shift fork and reverse piece, complete lower half of the shifter( interlock, shift arms, springs) the trans had about 30,000kms on it when it was pulled.

assembling the shafts took minimal effort, all came off and went on with ease.
Assembling the case i had to use a small rubber mallet( 12oz) to seat the bearing, snap ring does go in.
I used the whole 6 speed shifter, which was different from most things ive read. but shifts fine with it in, the 5 speed with 6 interlock didn't wok at all for me.

I feel that the tranny is correct this time( damn washers) and it shifts prefect when its not running but needs a fair amount of effort when its running to shift.
And since I've been taking it out and putting it in so many times in a short while i think i may have damaged the pilot bushing.

If the pilot bushing is damaged, could it keep the shaft spinning slightly,therefore causing my problem?

RotaryGreg
11-12-2011, 12:55 PM
sure, if its dragging on the input shaft all the time. i guess you'll know if the input shaft is all marked up where it sits inside the pilot bushing when you take it out...again....

AKEP
11-12-2011, 02:44 PM
which clutch are you using? i read a few years ago that the ep clutch disk is thicker than an rsx disk. it could be dragging too much and making it harder to shift once its running. sounds about right now. i think you have the tranny right, just the clutch.

RotaryGreg
11-12-2011, 04:35 PM
which clutch are you using? i read a few years ago that the ep clutch disk is thicker than an rsx disk. it could be dragging too much and making it harder to shift once its running. sounds about right now. i think you have the tranny right, just the clutch.

for that to be an issue wouldnt you have to be using an RSX pressure plate and flywheel with an EP3 friction disc or vice versa? I mean, if the friction disc is thicker, wouldnt the step of the flywheel or the frame of the pressure plate be made accordingly?

newep
11-20-2011, 06:26 PM
Pilot bearing is fine, no usual markings or deformities. While attempting to take it apart and reassemble for the 4th time., i noticed that the snap ring is not snapping into place easly. and that the main shaft is hard to turn.

Apon closer inspection, I notice that i have once again an additional spacer/shim on the countershaft bearing. I cannot find it in manual. it doesn't seem to change the height of the countershaft if its in our out.

Did anyone need to get a different spec 35mm spacer for the countershaft?

RotaryGreg
12-01-2011, 03:34 PM
so whats the story here man? any progress? No one had any input on the 35mm countershaft spacer I guess. I wish i could help here, but I just did a tear down and rebuild with new synchros. I didnt add a 6th.

newep
12-01-2011, 03:52 PM
I brought the franken tranny to a shop, and after a few days i got a phone call saying it was done.
Guy explained that they remeasured and reshimmed the shafts,everything works fine.
He also said that because its such an unusual trans with unusual parts, they will not warranty their work.
So $250 later i hopefully now have a working transmission. I'll find out mon/tues when i put the car back together.