PDA

View Full Version : What cheap things can I do to get my suspension feeling better?

StockTexasEP3
10-28-2011, 06:37 PM
I plan on getting the RSX A Spec suspension sometime down the line, but I'm wondering what little parts can be replaced to give the suspension a newer feel. It's almost a 10 year old car, my ep3, and I know there's probably little bushing andother pieces that wear that can be replaced to give the car a better feel. It just feels really rattley and I'd like it to feel a bit tighter without breaking the bank.. any suggestions?? Thanks :mbiggrin:

beechstreet
10-28-2011, 06:55 PM
new endlinks for the sways

MBaG
10-28-2011, 08:22 PM
anti-sway bars.

BeaterEP
10-28-2011, 08:46 PM
Bushings, a new rear anti-sway bar, there are a number of chassis braces from the ITR that will fit our EPs with little to no modification.

For bushings, a lot of folks like the Energy Suspension bushing kit. Not pricey at all, but it can be some work to get all of the bushings installed.

As far as sway bars go, a beefier rear sway should be the first thing you look into. The Progress bar is a long-time favorite of a lot of EP and RSX drivers. They can usually be found pretty cheap used if you take some time and keep an eye out, and paired with the sub-frame brace, they stiffen the back end up pretty well.

For front sways, it's actually better to go lighter than the OEM bar if you're going to do anything. The softer the bar up front, the better the steering response/handling (to a point).

Couple of references. :thumbu:
Energy Suspension bushing kit (http://www.corsportusa.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=387)
Progress Anti-Sway bar/Lower Tie Bar combo (http://www.progressauto.com/products/sfID1/127/sfID2/34/sfID3/36)
Integra Type-R Frame Brace Project (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?56618-DC5-R-bracing-on-EP3-Project&highlight=type+r+brace)

StockTexasEP3
10-29-2011, 08:36 AM
Bushings, a new rear anti-sway bar, there are a number of chassis braces from the ITR that will fit our EPs with little to no modification.

For bushings, a lot of folks like the Energy Suspension bushing kit. Not pricey at all, but it can be some work to get all of the bushings installed.

As far as sway bars go, a beefier rear sway should be the first thing you look into. The Progress bar is a long-time favorite of a lot of EP and RSX drivers. They can usually be found pretty cheap used if you take some time and keep an eye out, and paired with the sub-frame brace, they stiffen the back end up pretty well.

For front sways, it's actually better to go lighter than the OEM bar if you're going to do anything. The softer the bar up front, the better the steering response/handling (to a point).

Couple of references. :thumbu:
Energy Suspension bushing kit (http://www.corsportusa.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=387)
Progress Anti-Sway bar/Lower Tie Bar combo (http://www.progressauto.com/products/sfID1/127/sfID2/34/sfID3/36)
Integra Type-R Frame Brace Project (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?56618-DC5-R-bracing-on-EP3-Project&highlight=type+r+brace)

Hey thanks for the informative advice! Exactly what I was looking for.

BeaterEP
10-29-2011, 11:26 AM
No problem man.
Gotta pass on all the stuff I've learned here over the years! :thumbu:

StockTexasEP3
12-19-2011, 04:53 AM
I got a bigger rear sway and I'm looking into bushings, any other advice y'all?

AKEP
12-19-2011, 05:43 AM
bracing.

StockTexasEP3
12-19-2011, 01:42 PM
bracing.

Like strut bars or under chassis? My suspension doesn't feel "tight" and that's bothering me. So I'm looking at throwing some new bushings on when I put my lowering springs in, and I'm not sure what else. Everything just feels to wobbly when compared to my moms new corrolla. It just feels too loose, if you know what I mean. I'll probably need new struts down the line but a few shops have said they're fine right now... So idk

powdbyrice
12-19-2011, 04:50 PM
I plan on getting the RSX A Spec suspension sometime down the line, but I'm wondering what little parts can be replaced to give the suspension a newer feel. It's almost a 10 year old car, my ep3, and I know there's probably little bushing andother pieces that wear that can be replaced to give the car a better feel. It just feels really rattley and I'd like it to feel a bit tighter without breaking the bank.. any suggestions?? Thanks :mbiggrin:
any mods thus far?

StockTexasEP3
12-19-2011, 11:01 PM
any mods thus far?

Just 25 or so mm rear sway. Rattles like a Mofo on the stock muffler too :((

PatrickJamesYu
12-19-2011, 11:17 PM
Just 25 or so mm rear sway. Rattles like a Mofo on the stock muffler too :((

25? that's huge!

03civicdopejmd
12-20-2011, 07:04 AM
theres little nid bits from the 05-06 type's you can get aswell.. The front performance bar "bar that attaches to the frame under the tierods". Its thicker! Ive heard great things about this mod! Aswell as the ITR rear strut bar set up.. Theres rear shock absorbers and a bar that attaches! Theres a the itr mid frame brace that goes between the b-pillars.. Carbing aswell as ultra racing both make underchassis braces that go in the front and the rear braces are for the rsx but work.. as well as side bracing that goes behind that jackpoints! The list just gets more expensive as it goes on! Front strut bars! Torque dampers!

StockTexasEP3
12-21-2011, 03:06 AM
25? that's huge!

I might be full of shit idk.. It's the red one for 80 bucks on eBay.

StockTexasEP3
12-21-2011, 03:12 AM
theres little nid bits from the 05-06 type's you can get aswell.. The front performance bar "bar that attaches to the frame under the tierods". Its thicker! Ive heard great things about this mod! Aswell as the ITR rear strut bar set up.. Theres rear shock absorbers and a bar that attaches! Theres a the itr mid frame brace that goes between the b-pillars.. Carbing aswell as ultra racing both make underchassis braces that go in the front and the rear braces are for the rsx but work.. as well as side bracing that goes behind that jackpoints! The list just gets more expensive as it goes on! Front strut bars! Torque dampers!

Will all of those different things give it a better feel for Daily Driving or just give it a tighter feel for spirited driving? I think my suspension just feels loose and rattley compared to when I ride in a new car. Obviously it has 100 k miles on it so I'm just trying to figure out ways to "refresh" the feeling so to speak. I think new struts down the line will go a LONG way, but I'm just wondering what parts, specifically ones that wear down with time on older cars, that can be replaced to give renewed life to a rattley suspension. I'm gonna be putting on lowering springs soon here too, so I'll be taking the suspension apart which will be a good time to replace anything that's other wise hard to get to.

Zzyzx
12-21-2011, 11:09 AM
With a ten year old car its time to start taking a good look at wear items. Bushings are the big ones here and pay particular attention to the front compliance bushings.

Other then that, get a good (non-oem) aliment.

StockTexasEP3
12-21-2011, 10:13 PM
With a ten year old car its time to start taking a good look at wear items. Bushings are the big ones here and pay particular attention to the front compliance bushings.

Other then that, get a good (non-oem) aliment.

Yea I want a refresh kit for the bushings, but I don't know where to start. There's a refresh kit for lotuses ( a quick google search of lotus refresh kit will show you) and that's what I'm looking for but I dont know which pieces are the best bang for the buck except I see people throwing around the ES bushings kit. Links y'all? Any idears?

StockTexasEP3
12-23-2011, 11:12 AM
What wear and tear pieces are important to replace????? Im on the bump stops too much and I don't think my struts are bad

StockTexasEP3
12-28-2011, 06:53 PM
Bump for input.

StimulisRK
12-28-2011, 10:22 PM
Bump for input.

Same here. I'd love more info on all this. Especially about the non-OEM alignment