PDA

View Full Version : What exactly goes wrong in the steering rack?

G-MaC!
10-29-2011, 02:16 PM
I have steering rack issues and nobody seems to have a clue so I need to fix it myself. Is there a specific part in the rack that is prone to wearing out? I am really looking for the name of the exact part that seems to wear itself out and cause all the problems. Help is much appreciated.

sippyyy
10-29-2011, 02:21 PM
are you referring the creaking sound? that's just the lubricant wearing out resulting in plastic rubbing against metal.

Ba82Ep3
10-29-2011, 02:26 PM
If you decide to take it apart, replace the rack guide and all seals. Then LIBERALLY lube it up!

G-MaC!
10-29-2011, 05:00 PM
are you referring the creaking sound? that's just the lubricant wearing out resulting in plastic rubbing against metal.

It's not a creaking, it's a clunk.

smoody
10-29-2011, 06:55 PM
Clunks.... weird. usually it would be a creaky from the steering rack. Possibly blown struts?

DRP967
10-29-2011, 11:09 PM
I heard read the EP3/DC5 gets steering rack issues when the car is lowered. Doesnt really answer your question I know but bump.

BTW I had my 05 NHBP lowered 2+ inches since new (lowered the car at 15K miles on Ground Control sleeves/Koni Yellow struts) and I am now well over 180K with no issues with the rack (no creaks and or clunks). I actually had the car raised when I was at 130K for fear of the rack but decided to bring it back down and as I said no issues. Guess I am lucky but I know quite a few folks with EP3s/DC5s lowered 2+ inches and no issues with the rack.

G-MaC!
10-30-2011, 01:14 PM
Clunks.... weird. usually it would be a creaky from the steering rack. Possibly blown struts?

Struts have about 5,000KM on them. It clunks right through my steering wheel when hitting bumps. Fuck this is really starting to piss me off.

McTaggart34
10-31-2011, 05:35 PM
can you tell if it is on a specify side or in the middle of the car ?

G-MaC!
10-31-2011, 06:20 PM
can you tell if it is on a specify side or in the middle of the car ?

Feels like it's on the drivers side, you can literally feel it right through the column on your hands.

Ba82Ep3
10-31-2011, 06:21 PM
Check to be sure your balljoints are OK...

Euro-Yellow-Ep3
10-31-2011, 06:53 PM

agreed check ur balljoints and bushings in ur controll arm

G-MaC!
10-31-2011, 08:20 PM

I just had my mechanic go over my entire front end and he said everything was good. Then I took it to Honda and they couldn't find anything. FML. Ephatch save me

G-MaC!
10-31-2011, 08:25 PM
I mean I am feeling it right through the rack, but could it be something like inner tie rods or something? My tie rod ends and brand new.

Ba82Ep3
10-31-2011, 08:32 PM
What about the strut bearings? Is it possible they are assembled improperly... or just so badly worn that you would feel them through the steering?

The strut bearings are really just pieces of plastic that slide against each other in the top of the strut mount... and need to be greased VERY well. There is also a bushing in the strut top hat that the strut shaft passes through. Maybe one has popped loose or something out of the ordinary like that. I can see something like that causing a knocking sound... binding up as you turn then popping as it releases the pressure.

Just tossing out ideas...

Slip_Angle
10-31-2011, 09:47 PM
Check the nuts on the top of your struts. Mine have come loose three times (HFP) and cause clunking.

G-MaC!
11-08-2011, 11:45 AM
What about the strut bearings? Is it possible they are assembled improperly... or just so badly worn that you would feel them through the steering?

The strut bearings are really just pieces of plastic that slide against each other in the top of the strut mount... and need to be greased VERY well. There is also a bushing in the strut top hat that the strut shaft passes through. Maybe one has popped loose or something out of the ordinary like that. I can see something like that causing a knocking sound... binding up as you turn then popping as it releases the pressure.

Just tossing out ideas...

Well I am riding on A-Spec and they come factory assembled, they are not worn and it is very unlikely they are assembled wrong. Hopefully they at least got that right.

G-MaC!
11-08-2011, 11:46 AM
Check the nuts on the top of your struts. Mine have come loose three times (HFP) and cause clunking.

Checked them, super tight.