PDA

View Full Version : TWM Performance Shift Knobs?

SlammedEP
11-01-2011, 08:05 AM
Hey guys,

New here and I was thinking of starting off by asking if any of you have used any of their weighted shift knobs for our dash mounted shifter? I'm looking to buy a shift knob for my EP3 and they seem to have some pretty nice pieces, my favorite so far is the Phantom, not too heavy and plus it won't freeze my hands off like a metal one in the winter..

http://www.twmshiftknobs.com/shiftknobs/hybrid-phantom.html

Seems as though they don't have any short throw shifters for our application but I did notice on their facebook page that they have an employee with an EP3! Maybe some parts to come? I'm not sure but I definitely want to follow them to see!

Thanks for the help and I look forward to being part of the EPhatch community!

Mitch

gtolio
11-01-2011, 08:25 AM
That shift knob looks pretty cool. Shift knobs are all personal preference though. You are going to have to try to look at some in person and see which style you like.

As far as short shifters go, the Buddy Club is far and away the best one for our car.
http://www.corsportusa.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_17&products_id=238

SlammedEP
11-01-2011, 08:30 AM
That shift knob looks pretty cool. Shift knobs are all personal preference though. You are going to have to try to look at some in person and see which style you like.

As far as short shifters go, the Buddy Club is far and away the best one for our car.
http://www.corsportusa.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_17&products_id=238

Ya I get what you been by personal preference but in terms of weighted shift knobs.. Since our shifter is mounted on the dash, how is the feeling of the weighted shift knob?

And ya I know about the BC short shifter and have heard raved reviews about it but its all made of plastic... I donno to me it seems a bit.. cheap?? I'd really really like to see TWM make a metal full replacement short shifter like they did in the 06-11 civic:
http://www.twmperformance.com/shortshifters/hondashortshifters/2006-hondacivicshortshiftersfullassembly.htm

They're products just look amazing.. I'd love to see what they can do with the EP

gtolio
11-01-2011, 08:43 AM
Full metal is overkill. You'd be surprised at how similar the Buddy Club is to your stock shifter.

See a picture here (thanks to ryboto):
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?66688-BCSS-question&highlight=bcss+install
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5446&d=1320108455

I have the Skunk2 10th Anniv. knob and I love it. It's pretty heavy, but it makes the shifts feel more solid.

SlammedEP
11-01-2011, 08:51 AM
to me it seems as though they just slightly modified the original shifter assembly for shorter throws..

Thanks for your input gtolio!

Anyone else?

gtolio
11-01-2011, 09:41 AM
to me it seems as though they just slightly modified the original shifter assembly for shorter throws..

Thanks for your input gtolio!

Anyone else?

If you feel one in person they're a lot smoother than the stock shifter as well. They feel more like the RSX-S 6-speed box, IMO.

Sorry to hog your thread. lol

hyu
11-01-2011, 10:11 AM
Not for 149.99 -.-

SlammedEP
11-01-2011, 10:16 AM
quality shift knobs with a finish that don't scratch, fade, or deteriorate ... donno seems legit for that price.

No one else wants to give an opinion on weighted shift knobs in the EP3? lol

Jmage
11-01-2011, 01:25 PM
I got a TWM shift knob. The Type-R style "small" weighted at 445g I think. I went to their shop to buy it and they seems really professionnal. They got so many knobs that I had a hard time choosing. I will buy ALL my knobs from them, it's the shit! Also you can ask for their special adaptor and it will fit like a glove on your shift boot, specially with the BCSS.

They don't plan on developping product for EP3, I asked them to produce leather boot and shortshifter and they told me the car was to "old" to start developing parts for it and the market won't be that big compared to the new Si.

So, yeah it's expensive. But I don't regret paying that much for my knob.

EDIT: For the weighted question, I have mine since more than 2 years now and it feels very great!! No trouble shifting with a weighted knob in the EP. For winter, I put a baby sock on it when it's too cold. And In summer the same for hot.

SlammedEP
11-01-2011, 01:32 PM
Awesome thanks alot Jmage! I actually just got off the phone with them and they have some drivetrain components in the works but they wouldn't say what it was..

They said to follow them on facebook to get any updates that are posted

thats here: https://www.facebook.com/shortshifters

So from the two comments I've gotten the weighted knobs aren't a pain/awkward shifting to 1st, 3rd, or 5th?

mitchlikesbikes
11-01-2011, 01:55 PM
their stuff seems really legit but the prices are kinda outrageous. $45 for a t shirt or $16 for a lanyard? good lord

Jmage
11-01-2011, 01:56 PM
So from the two comments I've gotten the weighted knobs aren't a pain/awkward shifting to 1st, 3rd, or 5th?

If this was your concern, no it don't change anything. I enjoy every moment I have my hand on my shift knob lol

Drivetrain part? Interesting in what they will do. When I got there 2+ years ago they didn't have a EP3 owner working there and the guys didn't know anything about our cars. Maybe it has changed, wich would be great!

SlammedEP
11-01-2011, 02:07 PM
their stuff seems really legit but the prices are kinda outrageous. $45 for a t shirt or $16 for a lanyard? good lord

lol are you really going to judge outrageous prices using t-shirts and lanyards?

If this was your concern, no it don't change anything. I enjoy every moment I have my hand on my shift knob lol

Drivetrain part? Interesting in what they will do. When I got there 2+ years ago they didn't have a EP3 owner working there and the guys didn't know anything about our cars. Maybe it has changed, wich would be great!

Yes check out their facebook (link i posted above) go into albums and the first one "TWM Performance Associates Rides - Jordan's Car" I even think I've seen his car on this forum!

rjmq06
11-01-2011, 02:48 PM
i have a dc5 a-spec shift knob and i love it, it has good weight and great feel but i suffer everytime the summer comes lol

mitchlikesbikes
11-01-2011, 06:14 PM
lol are you really going to judge outrageous prices using t-shirts and lanyards?

regardless of what it is, it's still a reflection of how overpriced their stuff is. their shifter bushings that are basically identical to corsports are nearly double the price. how can you explain that?

SlammedEP
11-01-2011, 10:43 PM
regardless of what it is, it's still a reflection of how overpriced their stuff is. their shifter bushings that are basically identical to corsports are nearly double the price. how can you explain that?

Its simple actually, a little research would explain this for you. I have the full corsport bushing kit,the biggest difference is that the cable bushings are made of aluminum (corsport) while twm's cable bushings aren't made of aluminum that you have to grease up : "TWM Performance uses a special metal Alloy "Bronzoil" which is a Self-Lubricating Metal"

in terms of price corsport sells their kit for $58.00 while twm sells it for $80... 20$ difference for self-lubricating metal bushings over aluminum... makes sense to me...

mitchlikesbikes
11-03-2011, 07:00 PM
Its simple actually, a little research would explain this for you. I have the full corsport bushing kit,the biggest difference is that the cable bushings are made of aluminum (corsport) while twm's cable bushings aren't made of aluminum that you have to grease up : "TWM Performance uses a special metal Alloy "Bronzoil" which is a Self-Lubricating Metal"

in terms of price corsport sells their kit for $58.00 while twm sells it for $80... 20$ difference for self-lubricating metal bushings over aluminum... makes sense to me...

damn, corsport's prices have gone up a lot since i bought mine. really not much difference any more. the self lubricating metal seems intresting though, sorry i missed that.

SlammedEP
11-04-2011, 07:37 AM
thats alright! its one of their biggest selling points for their cable bushings!