PDA

View Full Version : Goodyear Fierce VR tires

stl05si
11-01-2011, 09:22 PM
I had to replace my tires again and tried these Goodyear Fierce VR tires. My rims are stock and my last set of tires were nearly bald. The car now feels lighter and almost a bit squirrelly than it ever has, even when new or on it's HFP rims from 2005. It seems to grip and corner well, but wants to I guess you would say respond quicker to imputs, almost to a level that make s me have to pay more attention to driving. The old tires were rated the same for traction and wear. I forget the brand. Any ideas why these tires would make it feel so light and almost unstable?

mitchlikesbikes
11-01-2011, 09:26 PM
I had to replace my tires again and tried these Goodyear Fierce VR tires. My rims are stock and my last set of tires were nearly bald. The car now feels lighter and almost a bit squirrelly than it ever has, even when new or on it's HFP rims from 2005. It seems to grip and corner well, but wants to I guess you would say respond quicker to imputs, almost to a level that make s me have to pay more attention to driving. The old tires were rated the same for traction and wear. I forget the brand. Any ideas why these tires would make it feel so light and almost unstable?

only thing i can think of is to doublecheck the pressure and make sure all 4 tires are equal and at the right number

makavelibranded
11-01-2011, 10:51 PM
Considering there very very cheap all season tires, that should give it away right there.

Popeye
11-02-2011, 06:42 AM
I bought new tires about a month ago, and Im noticing the same thing. I think it's just the tire itself. The car had some cheapy General tires on it when I got it. I put some Cooper CS4's on it, the softer version. Sure, it grips better, but it feels more unpredictable than the Generals were. Is that the sidewall we're talking about?

makavelibranded
11-02-2011, 03:29 PM
lol those cooper CS4's are really cheap all seasons as well, pretty much no all season tires are going to perform well. All the performance crap labeled on those tires are just that. They are cheap, hard, long lasting tires meant for people that have cars that travel from point A - B, not people that care about performance. Even though the ep may not be a very fast "sports" car those tires wont do it justice. Cheap tires means = poor breaking performance, handling, wet weather, hot weather, ect ect performance, also think of it like this all of that will effect you in times of judgement to get out of a crash, cut off, car pullls out, even hydroplaning its really an investment into your safety on top of it all.

stl05si
11-02-2011, 06:35 PM
Meh. I do pretty much go from point A to point B. I love my car, but got tired of paying for the sticky yoko's and such. It handles well and crisp, just feels almost twitchy. I don't think it is the sidewall. I used to switch out summer and all season tires but am just too busy with work and kids to try and add that to my list of things to get done. Haha.

Popeye
11-02-2011, 06:44 PM
Yeah, Im not particularly happy with my new tires. My main concern this time was somethign I could get some miles out of, were decent in the rain, and were a tiny bit stickier than my Generals. I could FART and break traction with those dang things. lol
For 17's, is there a decent tire that lasts a decent amount of miles?

BeaterEP
11-02-2011, 08:14 PM
Not sure about the price, but I've been happy with the Yokohama Avid V4S. It's been a good "compromise" tire for me.
Great treadwear, decent traction wet and dry as long as you have a good alignment.
Price was reasonable too, I felt, for the amount of life and fun I've always gotten out of them.

makavelibranded
11-02-2011, 08:34 PM
Yokohama S-drives are supposed to have great wet weather, long milage, and good dry traction,.. The sidewalls dont like very hard corning IE tracking the car. I was looking into those but needed a really good tire to autocross with.

BeaterEP
11-02-2011, 09:08 PM
Yeah, I've been thinking of trying out the s-drives nex go round just to try out something a bit different.
I know a couple of different folks that seem to like them for daily use and some spirited back road driving.

hyu
11-02-2011, 10:22 PM
Yokohama S-drives are supposed to have great wet weather, long milage, and good dry traction,.. The sidewalls dont like very hard corning IE tracking the car. I was looking into those but needed a really good tire to autocross with.
I'm between those and Hankook Ventus v12s... The S-drives do have some amazing looking tire pattern

Popeye
11-03-2011, 03:41 AM
Ive been eyeballing those V12's. Just nervous that I wouldnt get enough miles outta them at a 280 rating. Online reviews are REALLY good, but dont think Ive seen anyone on HERE using them.

stl05si
11-03-2011, 09:37 PM
You mentioning the alignment up above makes me wonder if getting it aligned made the difference. It wasn't pulling or anything, but then again, the steering has never felt this light. Traction and cornering actually seem better than the last tires I had. Nothing I have had will beat the yokohama's the hfp came with. I have been trying them out on the corners. Seem pretty good.

hyu
11-03-2011, 11:39 PM
Ive been eyeballing those V12's. Just nervous that I wouldnt get enough miles outta them at a 280 rating. Online reviews are REALLY good, but dont think Ive seen anyone on HERE using them. They will be my next set of tires. I have about 4 friends that use them. They autox religiously about 2x a month 18k miles later and he still has decent tread. Also they are surprisingly quiet.