PDA

View Full Version : wtf is that Weird noise coming from driver side front wheel?!

gizmo_75
11-03-2011, 02:25 PM
whats up ephatchers!

I'm hardly active on here but just wanted some feedback on your thoughts from whoever experienced the same problem. But just as the title says. Ive been having this weird "high pitched" grinding noise, which i'd describe what sounds like a chain dragging from my driver side front tire. Its on and off but hasn't been occurring often long enough to where i can determine exactly how that nasty sound occurs. The problem started happening like 2 days ago as i was just coasting on a main street going at about 20 mph and slowly came to a stoplight. My window was rolled down at the time so i could clearly hear it coming from the left front of the car..my first thoughts was maybe a problem with my brakes, but not exactly sure..i wanted to figure this ish out cause its starting to bug me, especially cause its my only dd.

feedback is appreciated.

apexracing
11-03-2011, 05:03 PM
bad or broken wheel bearing dragging or grinding on your cv shaft. jack up that wheel and check for in and out play, if you can move the wheel in and out by hand your bearing is toast. replace your cv shaft as well, because that broken bearing just ate that shit away.

AKEP
11-03-2011, 09:13 PM
check your brakes anyways. whenever i deal with broken bearings i hear rolling metal and clunking over little bumps. sounds like tumbling marbles...

56chevydan
11-03-2011, 09:47 PM
If the noise gets bad while you're braking to a stop, check your front brake pads. There is a metal scraper that is built into the brake pads that scrape on the rotors when the brake pads are worn out. The scraper is built into the inside brake pads on the front brakes and can make a heck of a racket especially at lower speeds as you brake to a stop.
Basically the potential problems would be a hub bearing, axle cv joint or the brake pads.

gizmo_75
11-03-2011, 09:48 PM
check your brakes anyways. whenever i deal with broken bearings i hear rolling metal and clunking over little bumps. sounds like tumbling marbles...

bad or broken wheel bearing dragging or grinding on your cv shaft. jack up that wheel and check for in and out play, if you can move the wheel in and out by hand your bearing is toast. replace your cv shaft as well, because that broken bearing just ate that shit away.

**UPDATE**
As i went on a lil drive earlier today, i noticed that as i came close to a complete stop with my foot on the brakes it sounded like there was some sort of weird friction rubbing noise on the same side..hopefully thats a little more descriptive.

thanks for the quick responses..imma def check that out...hopefully i can get this issue taken care of quick before the snow comes..

gizmo_75
11-03-2011, 09:53 PM
If the noise gets bad while you're braking to a stop, check your front brake pads. There is a metal scraper that is built into the brake pads that scrape on the rotors when the brake pads are worn out. The scraper is built into the inside brake pads on the front brakes and can make a heck of a racket especially at lower speeds as you brake to a stop.
Basically the potential problems would be a hub bearing, axle cv joint or the brake pads.

yeah i can imagine it'd be something like this...i guess i won't be seeing my suspension that i had planned on buying anytime soon....LOL

Calvinep3
11-06-2011, 12:55 PM
Have you removed the wheel and checked for play? My friends car had the same noise. We jacked up the car come to find his wheel bolts were loose -_____- lol
I'm not saying this is your problem but its worth a shot.

gizmo_75
11-06-2011, 02:06 PM
Have you removed the wheel and checked for play? My friends car had the same noise. We jacked up the car come to find his wheel bolts were loose -_____- lol
I'm not saying this is your problem but its worth a shot.
Unfortunately i haven't checked anything out yet, its still sitting in my garage because I've been busy with school at the moment BUT I'm gonna be bringing my car into a shop nearby my apartment that my buddy recommended me tomorrow. from the way i described it to the mech, he said it sounds like it could be my bearings..but ill find that out tomorrow...