PDA

View Full Version : Why has no one made a carbon fiber headliner???

teaseexb360
11-04-2011, 01:55 PM
So I just got out of my car and i was closing the sun roof and I thought to myself I've never seen a carbon fiber headliner. I think it would look really good especially for all the people that black out the rest of the interior. What do you guys think yay or nay on a carbon fiber headliner?

mitchlikesbikes
11-04-2011, 02:38 PM
i think it would look kinda tacky to be honest. maybe if it was a full carbon interior racecar it would be cool, but they have a cage and no headliner usually. i've seen some stickerbomb headliners that looked good, i think a solid flat black would look nice. maybe just painted with trim paint or something.

Danielsle
11-04-2011, 03:30 PM
So I just got out of my car and i was closing the sun roof and I thought to myself I've never seen a carbon fiber headliner. I think it would look really good especially for all the people that black out the rest of the interior. What do you guys think yay or nay on a carbon fiber headliner?

I like carbon fiber, but I think that'd be too much. The headliner itself isn't really that noticeable, you dont look up at it at all unless opening/closing the moonroof. Blacking it out is all you need to do to make your interior darker. the CF would be too glossy, shining light everywhere.

whatsvtec
11-04-2011, 03:32 PM
because racecar.

But seriously, the headliner doesn't serve too much of a function, why would you spend that kind of money on something so purposeless?

doubledouble
11-04-2011, 05:17 PM
because racecar.

But seriously, the headliner doesn't serve too much of a function, why would you spend that kind of money on something so purposeless?

this.

DRP967
11-05-2011, 07:16 AM

I would like a dry carbon (matte finish) headliner. I am not fond of the gray headliner/pillars in the EP3. Heck id be down with the whole interior being carbon ie. door panels, dashboard, pillars, center console, etc.

Danielsle
11-06-2011, 01:19 PM
I would like a dry carbon (matte finish) headliner. I am not fond of the gray headliner/pillars in the EP3. Heck id be down with the whole interior being carbon ie. door panels, dashboard, pillars, center console, etc.

Thats why you make them black!

http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad355/Danielsle/IMG_1775.jpg
http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad355/Danielsle/IMG_1773.jpg
http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad355/Danielsle/IMG_1772.jpg
http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad355/Danielsle/IMG_1771.jpg

doubledouble
11-07-2011, 12:49 AM
What'd you use to plant? Plasti-dip?

Danielsle
11-10-2011, 10:47 AM
What'd you use to plant? Plasti-dip?

No I used O'reily's Black Vinyl and Fabric spray. I used it on my EG before, and my EP now. Works and holds well. Doesnt chip, and doesnt make my headliner all tough, still has the same soft feeling.

DRP967
11-10-2011, 05:57 PM
[QUOTE=Danielsle;933327]Thats why you make them black!

http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad355/Danielsle/IMG_1775.jpg

Looks good, I just dont wanna paint my fabrics. Id prefer the material itself to be black.

RedSiBaron
11-10-2011, 06:13 PM
that is a MASSIVE piece to do in carbon. I've laid up small aircraft headliners in fiberglass for the purpose of wrapping them with material, and that is a GIGANTIC male mold and about half the length of what is needed for a car headliner. Shipping would be a nightmare because it would have to be rigid. when we do the aircraft headliners at work, we only do a couple layers of glass and we just roll them up and ship them to the customer. you couldnt do that for a car...well maybe you could, but regardless...its just not worth it from a production or product standpoint

gamma6
11-10-2011, 08:10 PM
Funny how it seems how easy it may seem to do composite work... if u really want it make it... cuz like redsibaron said, the mold would be very big... how many average ppl want a cf head liner... the pay off wouldnt seem worth the try... maybe a handfull of ppl would buy one... then u get into shipping issues... thats why at my work they made me lay up some parts so i wouldnt design/engineer some crazy nonsense

powdbyrice
11-10-2011, 10:58 PM
that is a MASSIVE piece to do in carbon. I've laid up small aircraft headliners in fiberglass for the purpose of wrapping them with material, and that is a GIGANTIC male mold and about half the length of what is needed for a car headliner. Shipping would be a nightmare because it would have to be rigid. when we do the aircraft headliners at work, we only do a couple layers of glass and we just roll them up and ship them to the customer. you couldnt do that for a car...well maybe you could, but regardless...its just not worth it from a production or product standpoint
how would that be different than a hood or hatch?

ps: just wrap the stock one in cf wrap.

Lucid Moments
11-11-2011, 09:17 AM
I'm just speaking for myself, but I wouldn't do it because it would be pure fucking poseur bullshit.

Carbon fiber is used because it is lightweight and strong. Neither of which matters for a headliner. If you want lightweight then just do away with the headliner, and why would you need strong?

Body panels, suspension pieces, seats, etc sure. A headliner? Ricerrific.

gtolio
11-11-2011, 09:33 AM
I'm just speaking for myself, but I wouldn't do it because it would be pure fucking poseur bullshit.

Carbon fiber is used because it is lightweight and strong. Neither of which matters for a headliner. If you want lightweight then just do away with the headliner, and why would you need strong?

Body panels, suspension pieces, seats, etc sure. A headliner? Ricerrific.

This. No one has tried it because it's a stupid idea. lol

Kerby
11-11-2011, 09:41 AM
would rather be interested in a carbon roof

Danielsle
11-14-2011, 10:19 AM

x2

hyu
11-14-2011, 10:48 AM
Better off vinyling the roof.

02TWSI
11-14-2011, 11:35 AM

I wonder if it could be done for eps, all it really takes is a company to make one, like this.

http://www.cimotorsports.net/motor-sport-products/ams-carbon-fiber-roof-mitsubishi-evo-8.html

Saved 16 lbs over stock and 7lbs over the mr aluminum roof.

Kerby
11-14-2011, 11:52 AM
I think for an option like this I can live without a sunroof. I hardly open the thing anyway.

sleepy ep3
11-14-2011, 04:23 PM
Could it be that a carbon fiber headliner might be rice?

*EDIT* read below, and was beaten to the punch. Lmao at pure ricer poseur bullshit

whatsvtec
11-14-2011, 04:28 PM
I would rather have a structurally sound car that would protect me in a roll-over crash. My life isn't worth saving 16lbs. I'm sure I could just go on a diet.

mitchlikesbikes
11-14-2011, 04:36 PM
I would rather have a structurally sound car that would protect me in a roll-over crash. My life isn't worth saving 16lbs. I'm sure I could just go on a diet.

typically carbon fiber roofs are only put on cars that already have a full roll cage, so the extra sheet of metal isn't needed

whatsvtec
11-14-2011, 05:31 PM
typically carbon fiber roofs are only put on cars that already have a full roll cage, so the extra sheet of metal isn't needed

Keyword... Typically.

Danielsle
11-14-2011, 07:30 PM
or rather... its a preference.

Euro-Yellow-Ep3
11-14-2011, 09:28 PM
i say yay as long as its flat and not shiney carbon, i hate shiny carbon in my interior

hyu
11-15-2011, 02:44 AM
Lmao at 1.2k for that. I weigh 120lbs I don't need no fucking weight reduction that will save me 16lbs. If it's that crucial to save weight take out the spare and jack

02TWSI
11-15-2011, 03:45 AM
Lmao at 1.2k for that. I weigh 120lbs I don't need no fucking weight reduction that will save me 16lbs. If it's that crucial to save weight take out the spare and jack

Lmfao @ 120lbs.

BTW the weight savings in the top of a car outweigh taking out a spare and jack from the trunk.

DRP967
11-15-2011, 08:47 AM
I wish the EP3 didnt come with a sunroof. I hate it, never use it, and its one more thing to malfunction/leak possibly.

gtolio
11-15-2011, 09:09 AM
I love my sunroof. Even if it's not open, I like having the light come in.

What I would really like, is a roof like this... or just an E63 in general. lol

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/6884/mercedesbenze63amg20128.jpg

http://image.automobilemag.com/f/15826221+w750+st0/0901_16_z+2010_mercedes_benz_e_class+panoramic_sun roof.jpg

doubledouble
11-15-2011, 12:26 PM
Love my sunroof. I use it daily. I also live in SoCal. ;)

Danielsle
11-17-2011, 12:18 PM
Love my sunroof. I use it daily. I also live in SoCal. ;)

Me too and im in Texas! Even when it rains my sunroof still sports itself.