PDA

View Full Version : megan coilover wtf?

mussh
11-10-2011, 02:59 PM
let me start by saying........ use the search bar n00b.
then ill say........ i tried and got nowhere.

i bought the street coilover damper from megan,with the straight arms, gave it to my mechanic and told him "drop it as low as it will go."
i was riding on stock shocks and struts with tanabe springs givig a 2" drop. i was told that the megan system will max out at 3", which is fine.

i get my car back from my mechanic and its riding higher than stock =(. he says... if he tries to drop the front any lower.... it will hit part of the steering rack or something that looks close to that. he also gives some other excuse for the back.
its driving horribly...handles like shit.... im really bummed...so far i have spent almost a grand on this and its way worse than before.

has anyone that owns this damper kit know why it might be giving him such troubles? is it possible he has done something wrong? i read nothing about anyone having these issues.

will someone with this set up, dropped as low as it will go (without modifying it), please link a photo of your finished drop?

thanks in advance.........

Calvinep3
11-10-2011, 03:08 PM
I have em. They ride good. I havent maxed them out but Im sure they will go lower than stock. Maybe your mechanic isn't tuner friendly. Take some pictures and lets see whats going on.

whatsvtec
11-10-2011, 03:21 PM
Your mechanic seems retarded... Pictures of said installed suspension.

mussh
11-10-2011, 03:23 PM
I have em. They ride good. I havent maxed them out but Im sure they will go lower than stock. Maybe your mechanic isn't tuner friendly. Take some pictures and lets see whats going on.

thanks for responding.
heres a picture of the back:
http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd486/mussh/2011-11-10164731.jpg

i have a shot of the front, but its real dark and its worthless.

look how high the back is =p. what could possibly be stopping it?...... did he friggin max it out the wrong direction?...instead of down...looks like he went up.

sheesh.......

:edit:
thats a 16" rim btw. 45/205

mussh
11-10-2011, 03:28 PM
@calvinep3,

is your avatar pic of your current drop on your megans?

civictype_r04
11-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Your mechanic seems retarded... Pictures of said installed suspension.

Yea that. I have them and I'm dropped like 3.5-4in and they ride great I love them. To me it looks like the Moran turned them the wrong direction.

Sent from my HTC THUNDERBOLT 4G LTE using tapatalk

mussh
11-10-2011, 03:34 PM

when putting yours on, did you need to get dc5 tierods?
i saw someone saying this was done...but im not sure if thats done before megan made the straight arms.

do your megans have the straight arms?

mussh
11-10-2011, 03:35 PM
Yea that. I have them and I'm dropped like 3.5-4in and they ride great I love them. To me it looks like the Moran turned them the wrong direction.

do you have the straight arms?
if you did.... did anything get in your way around the steering rack?

i could comfortably run 22" fuckin rims on my current boat of a set-up.

Calvinep3
11-10-2011, 03:39 PM
I have straight arms, no other mods needed
No, my avatar are progress springs but my megans sit LOWER. I think your "mechanic" turned them the wrong way.

mussh
11-10-2011, 03:43 PM
I have straight arms, no other mods needed
No, my avatar are progress springs but my megans sit LOWER. I think your "mechanic" turned them the wrong way.
if they were turned the wrong way....would it start hitting stuff around the steering rack?

sorry for the noob questions... i really want to give him suggestions tomorrow when i take, what used to be my kick-ass car, back to him and say "fix it".

whatsvtec
11-10-2011, 03:45 PM
Where did you get these installed? I would demand that another mechanic at the shop re-install them (free of cost) Something is definitely fucked up.

Calvinep3
11-10-2011, 03:47 PM
He probably went up so much things start hitting... idk. Do you have the lowering keys? Get your hands dirty and do it yourself(:

mussh
11-10-2011, 03:47 PM
Where did you get these installed? I would demand that another mechanic at the shop re-install them (free of cost) Something is definitely fucked up.
yeah i told him that when i picked up the car....something is wrong.
he has already told me to bring it back tomorrow, free of charge.

have you heard of any modifying needed done, with the staight arm version?

mussh
11-10-2011, 03:48 PM
He probably went up so much things start hitting... idk. Do you have the lowering keys? Get your hands dirty and do it yourself(:

i do have the keys and a kick ass jack....... but...its fuckin raining now.

whatsvtec
11-10-2011, 03:52 PM
No modifications are necessary. Bolt in coils, that should go anywhere from 1" to 3"+ dropped. I don't think Megans should even be able to bring you to stock height/higher than stock height. When he uninstalls them, lower the perches a few inches (2-3" from what it sounds like) and see what happens. Seriously though. Get a picture of the underbody of the car ASAP, you'll get a lot more help if you can show us what's going on under there.

Calvinep3
11-10-2011, 03:55 PM
No modifications are necessary. Bolt in coils, that should go anywhere from 1" to 3"+ dropped. I don't think Megans should even be able to bring you to stock height/higher than stock height. When he uninstalls them, lower the perches a few inches (2-3" from what it sounds like) and see what happens. Seriously though. Get a picture of the underbody of the car ASAP, you'll get a lot more help if you can show us what's going on under there.

^^^ What he said! But megan can make you look like stock height. The thing with coilovers is that you have to play with the adjustment untill you like what you see.

civictype_r04
11-10-2011, 03:58 PM
do you have the straight arms?
if you did.... did anything get in your way around the steering rack?

i could comfortably run 22" fuckin rims on my current boat of a set-up.

Yup stright arms and no problems whatsoever!

mussh
11-10-2011, 04:08 PM
its raining outside...this is the best i can get with my phone:
http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd486/mussh/2011-11-10175644.jpg
http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd486/mussh/2011-11-10175711.jpg
http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd486/mussh/2011-11-10175835.jpg

Calvinep3
11-10-2011, 04:21 PM
its raining outside...this is the best i can get with my phone

Looks like he went all the way up. Just wait for tomorrow.

mussh
11-10-2011, 04:30 PM
thanks for the help and input.

im gonna tell him he turned the perches the wrong direction.
seems like it should be a simple fix.

usedep3
11-10-2011, 04:58 PM
i wouldnt let that dumbass mechanic touch my car again

mitchlikesbikes
11-10-2011, 05:21 PM
i wouldnt let that dumbass mechanic touch my car again

word to that. i'm only 17 years old and i do everything in my power to keep my car away from mechanics in the first place haha

hope you get it fixed though OP, even if it does mean doing it yourself.

PatrickJamesYu
11-10-2011, 05:49 PM
That totally looks like they're as far up as they can go
I've seen the Megans go really low before
Get under there and do it yourself.

27rocks
11-10-2011, 06:49 PM
LoL at "mechanic". Another reason why i always do my own work on everything i possibly can.

civic sir f1
11-26-2011, 11:43 AM
ya they are all the way up. u can lower them ur self also get it aligned. i like my megan's just the stupid spring pop on the right front sucks bad. i've had the right front strut completely apart and i just can't figure it out. u guys have spring pop? hope u guys can help also i do have straight arms. thanks.

27rocks
11-28-2011, 09:16 AM
I get some spring pop from time to time. Only thing i can honestly think could fix it, is if you completely unsrping the coil to the point where its loose and dab a little grease on top and bottom of the spring. That way it doesn't bind when its compressed and you turn the wheel. It should make it turn freely with the wheels without binding.