PDA

View Full Version : 300 whp possible?

Reaper27
11-13-2011, 05:04 PM
Hey guys, in my long and still continuing search to decide what boost option to go with I'm currently leaning toward a supercharger over turbo just for it's ease of use and install. My main question is tho, can I hit 300 whp with a jrsc and a k20a3? It's a DD and all I want is around 300 to mess around with, also not really looking at doing an engine swap any time soon. So is it possible? Thanks guys

superchargedk20
11-13-2011, 05:25 PM
Nope

04EP3Hatch
11-13-2011, 05:56 PM
Nope

Hey now it is definately a close possibility, I was at 275, on stock cams. I'd say yes, if you got the blower/inlet/manifold fully ported and ran say 12-14psi with a water methanol setup and a damn good tune, I'd say damn near close, I DD'd mine with 275 no issues, you'd just need a k24 crank pulley and 3.6 blower pulley

superchargedk20
11-13-2011, 06:03 PM
Yea another 25whp good luck... that blower is gona spin so fast that motor will go kaboom. Better go to churchs dyno too, then maybe ull hit 300whp lol

04EP3Hatch
11-13-2011, 06:14 PM
Yea another 25whp good luck... that blower is gona spin so fast that motor will go kaboom. Better go to churchs dyno too, then maybe ull hit 300whp lol

Well even with the k24 cp and 3.6, it's not really close to maxing out what the blower is capable of spinning, although without a cooler of some sort your pretty much asking to melt a piston or something, and yes I think another 25whp is achievable through more blower rpm with sufficient porting, as long as you can keep temps down

superchargedk20
11-13-2011, 06:16 PM
Well even with the k24 cp and 3.6, it's not really close to maxing out what the blower is capable of spinning, although without a cooler of some sort your pretty much asking to melt a piston or something, and yes I think another 25whp is achievable through more blower rpm with sufficient porting, as long as you can keep temps down

Ill beleive it when i see it. Remember that dude that tried pushing the JRSC and he had a built a3. still blew that shit lol. And also lets say it is possible to do all this and get a legit 300whp on a accurate dyno. With all the money spent to make it happen u could buy a turbo kit and hit 300whp and be cheaper . but that will prolly blow up too on a a3 lol

Euro-Yellow-Ep3
11-13-2011, 06:53 PM
i say with set of cams and all of the above he can achieve it

mitchlikesbikes
11-13-2011, 07:00 PM
with all the extra time, money, and parts to make 300 on a jrsc you could just get a good turbo kit and make the same amount of power for less money and effort.

300 is pushing it on an a3 though, if you're gonna run it like that you always have to be prepared for the worst (which in this case would be your entire engine splattered all over the road haha)

Reaper27
11-13-2011, 08:06 PM
Hey now it is definately a close possibility, I was at 275, on stock cams. I'd say yes, if you got the blower/inlet/manifold fully ported and ran say 12-14psi with a water methanol setup and a damn good tune, I'd say damn near close, I DD'd mine with 275 no issues, you'd just need a k24 crank pulley and 3.6 blower pulley

Hell man, I'd be happy with 275. Was it reliable? Could you push it on a Rey basis and it hold up? I have a I/RH/E set up right now and I'm about to get Kpro. I was thinking about doing the jrsc and say some skunk2 stage 2 cams and a tune. Would that put me in the 275 range and it be safe?

superchargedk20
11-13-2011, 08:47 PM
Hell man, I'd be happy with 275. Was it reliable? Could you push it on a Rey basis and it hold up? I have a I/RH/E set up right now and I'm about to get Kpro. I was thinking about doing the jrsc and say some skunk2 stage 2 cams and a tune. Would that put me in the 275 range and it be safe?
It wont. Your gona need somethig to cool ur temps down to make the power Dan did. We both ran meth and made good number. Ur gona need a meth kit as well .

lemonhead228
11-13-2011, 09:01 PM
I agree on everything that is said above. I was planning on going sc too but i went turbo instead because it's CHEAPER and make the same amount of power or even more. I'm dd mines as well and it's not even hard to assemble.

Lucid Moments
11-13-2011, 09:09 PM
yea, no way you can get 300 whp with a JRSC and a K20A3. Just not going to happen. I'm at 296 with a built K24 and a JRSC. There were a few things I could have done different and gotten over 300 but it would have adversely effected reliability.

If i were possible to get 300 whp with a K20A3 and a JRSC it would not be reliable.

02TWSI
11-13-2011, 09:22 PM

Key to high numbers, go to a place that uses dynojets lmfao

Blah1219
11-14-2011, 09:14 AM
Ill beleive it when i see it. Remember that dude that tried pushing the JRSC and he had a built a3. still blew that shit lol. And also lets say it is possible to do all this and get a legit 300whp on a accurate dyno. With all the money spent to make it happen u could buy a turbo kit and hit 300whp and be cheaper . but that will prolly blow up too on a a3 lol

Yeah I remember that dude. True story!

You can go vtec killer on a supercharger. If this is your daily then good luck on mpg. Vtec killer will start you at 195 whp then 155. 300 will be more achievable then. A k24a1 head would be a plus with a new head gasket of course. ARP head studs. 300 on m62 charger is asking for a lot on a a3. Turbo would be a cheaper on the install, but it could also be more money in the long run.

Reaper27
11-14-2011, 12:32 PM
It wont. Your gona need somethig to cool ur temps down to make the power Dan did. We both ran meth and made good number. Ur gona need a meth kit as well .

Would an oil cooler help with this? What is the average whp with a jrsc with mods?

Blah1219
11-14-2011, 12:40 PM
Would an oil cooler help with this? What is the average whp with a jrsc with mods?

220-230 on a k20a3 with the street tune. And no meth nor aftercooler. So what kind of mods are you talking about?

02TWSI
11-14-2011, 03:12 PM
Anyone think a jrscR a3 built motor would make 300whp with e85?

gtolio
11-14-2011, 03:18 PM
Anyone think a jrscR a3 built motor would make 300whp with e85?

With the right exhaust, header, fuel system, pulley, and tune it would be close.

I don't know why you'd build an A3 though. I'd take a stock K24a1 over a built K20a3, FWIW.

mitchlikesbikes
11-14-2011, 03:43 PM
With the right exhaust, header, fuel system, pulley, and tune it would be close.

I don't know why you'd build an A3 though. I'd take a stock K24a1 over a built K20a3, FWIW.

this is coming from the guy who swears by is 300+hp turbo a3, so if even HE'S telling you to go k24, it's probably a good idea haha

02TWSI
11-14-2011, 03:53 PM
Well let's say built head and cammed jrscr with all the good # making parts, would that hit 300 on e85

gtolio
11-14-2011, 03:53 PM
this is coming from the guy who swears by is 300+hp turbo a3, so if even HE'S telling you to go k24, it's probably a good idea haha

lol... The a3 is a good motor and can take some abuse and make decent power, but with the prices of k24s as low as they are these days it just makes more sense.

When my motor goes, I'll probably take the turbo off, put a k24a1 in with a JRSC-R on a smaller pulley and a good header and make the same power I'm making now.

Well let's say built head and cammed jrscr with all the good # making parts, would that hit 300 on e85

It would be right around there. Depends on the car/tune.

sleepy ep3
11-14-2011, 04:00 PM
For some reason....I just really love this post. So much true information.

gtolio
11-14-2011, 04:04 PM

I agree, but there are just so many variables associated with what you are saying here, primarily the tune. We know that motor can handle that kind of power, so why did it blow? Bad tuning? High IAT? I think E85 is a game changer when you're talking about this.

Definitely you are right about the fact that it is much easier and cheaper to make that power through alternative means.

Ba82Ep3
11-14-2011, 04:08 PM
Head swap (k24a1) piston/rocker assy/cam swap (k20a2) JRSC (3.8) new CP (k24z) ported JRSC inlet and TB, your choice of I/H/E. Youll make 275 at 7.5krpm, reliably. No meth.

sleepy ep3
11-14-2011, 04:10 PM
I agree, but there are just so many variables associated with what you are saying here, primarily the tune. We know that motor can handle that kind of power, so why did it blow? Bad tuning? High IAT? I think E85 is a game changer when you're talking about this.

Definitely you are right about the fact that it is much easier and cheaper to make that power through alternative means.
Maybe small rods and tinny valvesprings have a lot to do with it.

superchargedk20
11-14-2011, 04:14 PM
How long has the ep been around for? How many people have a jrsc on their a3 . By now it would've happened

mitchlikesbikes
11-14-2011, 04:15 PM
How long has the ep been around for? How many people have a jrsc on their a3 . By now it would've happened

this guy's logic is foolproof people. k24 or bust(literally)

superchargedk20
11-14-2011, 04:53 PM
this guy's logic is foolproof people. k24 or bust(literally)
Haha. I duno if ur making fun of me or not lol. But if its possible please someone do it and shut me up. Grow a money tree, Waste all ur money on a jrsc cams watermeth e85. Heck throw a little shot of nitros while ur at it. Or get a turbo kit get a good tune and hit 300whp on ur a3 and call it a day. Choice is urs. Atleast its been proven that a turbo a3 can hit 300. What happened to miniodessy, he had the milano ep3 revhard kit and he hit 299whp on a a3.

mitchlikesbikes
11-14-2011, 04:56 PM
Haha. I duno if ur making fun of me or not lol. But if its possible please someone do it and shut me up. Grow a money tree, Waste all ur money on a jrsc cams watermeth e85. Heck throw a little shot of nitros while ur at it. Or get a turbo kit get a good tune and hit 300whp on ur a3 and call it a day. Choice is urs. Atleast its been proven that a turbo a3 can hit 300

definitely not making fun, i totally agree. when you could hit 300 on a lightly used revhard or cybernation kit for less than $3k for everything, what's the point of putting so much work into a jrsc? the potential just isn't really on that level when it comes to that blower on an A3

Reaper27
11-14-2011, 05:00 PM
220-230 on a k20a3 with the street tune. And no meth nor aftercooler. So what kind of mods are you talking about?

Right now I have a Injen SRI (was on the car when I bought it), a skunk2 race header, custom mid pipe with a DC sport single canister on the back end, Hondata IMG, and I'm about to get Kpro in the next month or so. I had planned on switching to a CAI, a Skunk2 mega power R exhaust, and some skunk2 stage 2 or stage 3 cams, with a new tensioner. Idk, I'm still just doing some research on this. I really don't want to do an engine swap right now and was hoping that I would be able to reliably hit around the 300 whp range in the a3.

@gtolio, where can I fine k series engines if I do decide to do a swap? I've looked at places online and everything is like 3-6k and I can't swing that right now just for an engine haha

Blah1219
11-14-2011, 05:25 PM
Right now I have a Injen SRI (was on the car when I bought it), a skunk2 race header, custom mid pipe with a DC sport single canister on the back end, Hondata IMG, and I'm about to get Kpro in the next month or so. I had planned on switching to a CAI, a Skunk2 mega power R exhaust, and some skunk2 stage 2 or stage 3 cams, with a new tensioner. Idk, I'm still just doing some research on this. I really don't want to do an engine swap right now and was hoping that I would be able to reliably hit around the 300 whp range in the a3.

@gtolio, where can I fine k series engines if I do decide to do a swap? I've looked at places online and everything is like 3-6k and I can't swing that right now just for an engine haha

www.car-part.com/ or local junkyard.

Anything over stage 1 will need valvetrain upgrade.

04EP3Hatch
11-14-2011, 05:29 PM

No not like oil cooling, like intake air temps, without cooling and spinning the blower enough to make that boost, your intake air temps are going to be around 250 if not higher, you'll need methanol. Oh and I made 260 on 10psi wIth no methanol

Euro-Yellow-Ep3
11-14-2011, 05:34 PM
i wanred to get a supercharger b4 this thread, now im considering turbo?

Blah1219
11-14-2011, 07:06 PM
No not like oil cooling, like intake air temps, without cooling and spinning the blower enough to make that boost, your intake air temps are going to be around 250 if not higher, you'll need methanol. Oh and I made 260 on 10psi wIth no methanol

On the a3 cams??

T_Virus
11-14-2011, 10:30 PM
300whp on a k20a3? not going to happen. Majority of the OG's who did go this route killed their motor or saw the light and swapped or turbo.

lemonhead228
11-14-2011, 11:44 PM
i wanred to get a supercharger b4 this thread, now im considering turbo?

Do it! You'll be way happier wit a turbo set up. I seen a couple ppl went from superchargers to turbo cuz they wanted more power.

Save yourself the time, labor, and money and go turbo.

But yea, I also agree wit the swap. The torque numbers on the k24s itself are niceee

Reaper27
11-15-2011, 04:32 AM
300whp on a k20a3? not going to happen. Majority of the OG's who did go this route killed their motor or saw the light and swapped or turbo.

Alright, so would 275 whp be possible with an a3 and a turbo set up?

BlownSi05
11-15-2011, 06:19 AM

Yes, fairly easily.

Just remember; Cheap, Reliable, Fast......you can only have two of those at a time, and never all three at once.

lemonhead228
11-15-2011, 08:36 AM

Yea you can get 250-275 whp on a greedy kit with bolt on, kpro, and a good tune. Considering greddy's kit is one of the smallest turbos, that's pretty good.

gtolio
11-15-2011, 08:56 AM

You just have to look around, deals are out there. I have a friend that works for Honda, so I can get them really cheap there.

PAPITUYO326 sells them on here too at good prices:http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?51643-K24A1-Longblocks-Ready-to-Ship!!

As far as the 300whp JRSC A3, I still think it's possible. No one has done it because it's a stupid idea. You'd have to throw everything and the kitchen sink at it to get there (smallest possible pulley, meth, e85, fuel system, nice header, big exhaust, build the head, etc.). I still haven't seen one with E85.

The problem is that you could buy one of the above motors and turbo it for the same price that it would take you to get there and have 500+whp. You could turbo the A3 for that matter and make well over 300 on the right setup.

Reaper27
11-15-2011, 07:46 PM
Ok, so my next question would be is it possible to get 275-300 whp in an a3 period. Whether it be turbo or not and it be reliable without breaking the bank? And also if I do decide on a k24 motor, do I need a different tranny to go with it? Thanks for all the info tho guys

mitchlikesbikes
11-15-2011, 08:35 PM
Ok, so my next question would be is it possible to get 275-300 whp in an a3 period. Whether it be turbo or not and it be reliable without breaking the bank? And also if I do decide on a k24 motor, do I need a different tranny to go with it? Thanks for all the info tho guys

300 with the right turbo kit is realistic, but your engine's life is shortened SIGNIFICANTLY. and no, you don't need a new tranny or clutch. you will have to swap over your flywheel though. but in order to get a better selection of clutches, it's a good idea to upgrade to the flywheel to the one from the k20a2 (type s clutches aren't compatible with the k20a3's stock fly and there's more options available)

Reaper27
11-15-2011, 09:02 PM
300 with the right turbo kit is realistic, but your engine's life is shortened SIGNIFICANTLY. and no, you don't need a new tranny or clutch. you will have to swap over your flywheel though. but in order to get a better selection of clutches, it's a good idea to upgrade to the flywheel to the one from the k20a2 (type s clutches aren't compatible with the k20a3's stock fly and there's more options available)

Is there any way to avoid this shortening? And how long would te engine last on average with that? I would be happy with 275, would that make it last longer? As far as the k24 goes, would I just swap in the motor and everything would bolt up except for the flywheel? If so would I need to just upgrade the a3 flywheel with a lighter more durable one or would I need to swap out to a a2 clutch and flywheel? Sorry for all the questions guys, I just figured I would throw it all out there at once haha

mitchlikesbikes
11-15-2011, 09:12 PM
Is there any way to avoid this shortening? And how long would te engine last on average with that? I would be happy with 275, would that make it last longer? As far as the k24 goes, would I just swap in the motor and everything would bolt up except for the flywheel? If so would I need to just upgrade the a3 flywheel with a lighter more durable one or would I need to swap out to a a2 clutch and flywheel? Sorry for all the questions guys, I just figured I would throw it all out there at once haha

anything past like 250ish is really a gamble. if you have a super good tune and take care of it you improve its chance of survival, but you've always gotta be prepared for the worst.

and i never meant to say that the k20a3 flywheel won't work with a k24, because it will. all k engines and trans accept all k series flywheels and clutches, but not all flywheels accept all clutches. the clutch you buy just needs to be matched up to the flywheel that you have. the only reason to switch flywheels is for more clutch options

neoamd
11-15-2011, 10:50 PM
i say with set of cams and all of the above he can achieve it

Forget the meth kit and just run a RSX JRSC setup, aftercooler, 12-14psi, 08-09 Accord CP, Maxbore TB, ported JRSC inlet/blower work, nice RH, RSX Injen CAI, Kpro, 650cc+ Injectors, and have a CRV ready to swap when the A3 pops =P

neoamd
11-15-2011, 10:56 PM

The A3 will last as long as you take care of it, don't over rev it, never mis-shift (IE from 5th -> 3rd), and be sure to check everything out every few thousand miles.

The K24A1 (CRV Motor) drops right in and all you need is the K24 side motor mount. Also if swap motors buy a set of Innovative 60A Motor Mounts (good idea no matter what mods you do - stock motor mounts SUCK).

Don't check out and use the A3 Fly setup. Just buy a stock A2 flywheel and have it resurfaced. Also you can prob find a cheap Stage 1 or Stock Type S clutch for cheap that will deal with the power better.

I found my CRV long block with 24-27K (don't remember exactly) for under $800 bucks shipped to my house. I paid about $700 for a nice complete A2 head to mate the CRV block with. Well worth it IMO.

The JRSC setup is great for a DD and you will love the insta-torque (atleast for a Honda anyways :tehehyper:). My car is nearly done! Can't wait to abuse the hell out of it!!

T_Virus
11-15-2011, 11:20 PM
the only super charger that was able to hit over 300whp easily in an k20a3 was the rotrex supercharger...Remember the former member civichbsi209. He had it and was able to hit close to 400whp on a k20a3 killing corvettes etc. but he had to custom it and cut his hood. Now I don't know if this would be a good thing for DD but his car is a monster and unfortunately if I remember, he parted out his car and sold his ep3 it to his cousin. He sometimes jump in here once in a long time.

1fasthb
11-15-2011, 11:52 PM
the only super charger that was able to hit over 300whp easily in an k20a3 was the rotrex supercharger...Remember the former member civichbsi209. He had it and was able to hit close to 400whp on a k20a3 killing corvettes etc. but he had to custom it and cut his hood. Now I don't know if this would be a good thing for DD but his car is a monster and unfortunately if I remember, he parted out his car and sold his ep3 it to his cousin. He sometimes jump in here once in a long time.

isnt that the kit that cost like 4k without kpro?

superchargedk20
11-16-2011, 12:17 AM
pretty sure an aftercooler is impossible to fit in the ep3 body

Reaper27
11-16-2011, 05:23 AM
The A3 will last as long as you take care of it, don't over rev it, never mis-shift (IE from 5th -> 3rd), and be sure to check everything out every few thousand miles.

The KW24A1 (CRV Motor) drops right in and all you need is the K24 side motor mount. Also if swap motors buy a set of Innovative 60A Motor Mounts (good idea no matter what mods you do - stock motor mounts SUCK).

Don't check out and use the A3 Fly setup. Just buy a stock A2 flywheel and have it resurfaced. Also you can prob find a cheap Stage 1 or Stock Type S clutch for cheap that will deal with the power better.

I found my CRV long block with 24-27K (don't remember exactly) for under $800 bucks shipped to my house. I paid about $700 for a nice complete A2 head to mate the CRV block with. Well worth it IMO.

The JRSC setup is great for a DD and you will love the insta-torque (atleast for a Honda anyways :tehehyper:). My car is nearly done! Can't wait to abuse the hell out of it!!

Wow, thanks a lot man. So the k24 will fit with everything even my Race header? I had read somewhere that you had to buy a special swap style header to fit since the k24 was larger? Also, so I can get an a2 spec flywheel and it fit with my a3 clutch? Or do I have to get an a2 clutch as well? I was also wondering does the A/C and P/S from the a3 work with the k24?

Blah1219
11-16-2011, 09:23 AM
Wow, thanks a lot man. So the k24 will fit with everything even my Race header? I had read somewhere that you had to buy a special swap style header to fit since the k24 was larger? Also, so I can get an a2 spec flywheel and it fit with my a3 clutch? Or do I have to get an a2 clutch as well? I was also wondering does the A/C and P/S from the a3 work with the k24?

There's no special header. Depending on the header. Some get lucky, some are running the em2 sway bar on the header clearance.

If you get a a2 flywheel, you'll need a a2 clutch. They have different bolt patterns.

We have eps so our powersteering is not belt driven. Some electric bullshit.

Yes you can use your a/c, just swap it over. It's interchangeable.

Blah1219
11-16-2011, 09:29 AM

The KW24A1 (CRV Motor) drops right in and all you need is the K24 side motor mount. Also if swap motors buy a set of Innovative 60A Motor Mounts (good idea no matter what mods you do - stock motor mounts SUCK).

Where can I find one of these KW24A1?? Sounds pretty sweet man!!

T_Virus
11-16-2011, 01:24 PM
isnt that the kit that cost like 4k without kpro?

yeah it is.

I think he had it on his hood.

lemonhead228
11-16-2011, 09:07 PM

Here's a link for it ---> http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?54859-K24A2-Swap-Comments/page20

Everything will work the same for the k24a1. That's what so great bout our cars cuz its direct swap wit lil modifications.

lemonhead228
11-16-2011, 09:10 PM
There's no special header. Depending on the header. Some get lucky, some are running the em2 sway bar on the header clearance.

If you get a a2 flywheel, you'll need a a2 clutch. They have different bolt patterns.

We have eps so our powersteering is not belt driven. Some electric bullshit.

Yes you can use your a/c, just swap it over. It's interchangeable.

Basically if you go a3 flywheel you have to go a3 clutch and visversal for the a2

neoamd
11-27-2011, 12:39 AM

Incorrect. You just need to run the complete RSX JRSC setup NOT the EP3 version. Trust me I know - plus I have a few extra goodies in there too.

neoamd
11-27-2011, 12:43 AM
Where can I find one of these KW24A1?? Sounds pretty sweet man!!

Blah, I was tired man - cut me some slack. My frank is now fully assembled. Tomorrow I will be cleaning it, prepping it, painting it, then clearing it. Also my SC Manifold and A2 Valve Cover will be leaving for powder coating soon along with a few other parts coming and going.

New power goal for me is 350whp minimum and a hopefully closer to ~370whp :mangel: I'd love to beat on some newer M3s, Camaros, and the non Z06/ZR1 Vettes.

I'll update my mod list in my thread later but I'll let the pictures do the talking :mredface: