PDA

View Full Version : Engine light question - Happened today, any ideas?

Erkm4n
11-14-2011, 09:17 PM
So earlier today while I was driving back to my place and my car spun out and did a 540 on the road and I stalled out, so I went ahead and turned the car back on to get out of the road before anyone came and as I turned it on I saw that my check engine light was on and for the time being I could go beyond 3500(I think) rpm. I let the car sit for a couple of hours and just went back out to check up on it, the light was still on but now I was able to go past 3500rpm. Do you guys have any idea what the light could be for? I have to make a trip to Philly which is about 300 miles from where I live (and thats where the mechanic I trust works at anyways) and I'm not sure if I should risk the drive or just go to some shop around where I'm at now? (I'd rather not because I have had issues in the past, but if I have to I will)

Euro-Yellow-Ep3
11-14-2011, 09:19 PM
First thing i would do is go to an Autozone Or Advanced auto and have them check the code.. just my .02

T_Virus
11-14-2011, 10:23 PM
First thing i would do is go to an Autozone Or Advanced auto and have them check the code.. just my .02

yeah, I wouldn't risk driving your car a long distance if your in limp mode. try to get that engine code read as it would be the deciding factor.

ep3k20
11-14-2011, 10:56 PM
Sounds like when you spun out it slung your oil in the pan to one side for too long and deprived the pump and sent an error to the computer that your sump was too low hence rendering it in "limp mode" which won't let you rev past 4500 or some shit. Bet you that is the prob cause same thing happened to my buddy on the track racing in his ep. He spun out and the car went into limp mode. Just fyi its a real easy fix, but, I would still get the code pulled from checker or some shit

56chevydan
11-15-2011, 02:44 PM
Sounds like when you spun out it slung your oil in the pan to one side for too long and deprived the pump and sent an error to the computer that your sump was too low hence rendering it in "limp mode" which won't let you rev past 4500 or some shit. Bet you that is the prob cause same thing happened to my buddy on the track racing in his ep. He spun out and the car went into limp mode. Just fyi its a real easy fix, but, I would still get the code pulled from checker or some shit
This is very probably what happened to tour car. The sloshing of your oil in your oil pan was probably sensed by an engine sensor as low oil pressure and your computer put your car in limp (safe) mode. The check engine light may very well turn out to be a trouble code associated with that low oil pressure.

As was suggested by others in the responses here, take your car to someone that has a code reader and have them connect it to your computer terminal port located at the bottom of your dash near your steering column, and read the stored trouble code(s). If you have a factory Honda shop manual for your car, you'll find definitions of the trouble codes in the manual along with a procedure to diagnose/fix the problem. If you don't have a manual, you can either download the manual from this forum or post the code(s) here and someone can help you with deciphering it.

RHCP0801
11-15-2011, 02:54 PM
we can't help you until you get the code read

HFPcivicSI
11-15-2011, 03:25 PM
hey im in York PA and Harrisburg PA, if your local Ill stop by and check your code(s).

T_Virus
11-15-2011, 11:04 PM

That's really some shit...lol...

I had this problem before too as I came off an off ramp at a fast speed and by the time I notice, it jumped into limp mode. I was pretty sure it was the oil moving on to one side.

ep3k20
11-16-2011, 12:09 PM
That's really some shit...lol...

I had this problem before too as I came off an off ramp at a fast speed and by the time I notice, it jumped into limp mode. I was pretty sure it was the oil moving on to one side.

Lol I was seeing who would catch that,you win!

BeaterEP
11-25-2011, 09:13 AM
Damn...either your low on oil, or waaaay to fast on that off ramp!
:meek:
Seriously, if your oil is moving far enough to throw limp mode...dude.