PDA

View Full Version : Petrol cover release - FAULT

Aid1987
11-15-2011, 02:00 AM
For the last couple of months its been really difficult to get my petrol cap cover to open when pulling the release lever.

Its starting to get embarassing having to spend about 5 minutes trying to get it to open at the petrol station especially when there's a que behind me! Anyway, it does eventually open but I want to fix it before it the weather starts getting worse which will make me put it off even longer.

I just though I'd ask on here before I start removing plastic trim and chasing the release cable through the car.

ImportCustomx
11-15-2011, 07:02 AM
when you pull the cable does it sound like the door is trying to open but the latch is just stuck?

your cable could be fine, but you door could have been bent. if the door has been bent (the little piece of metal that catchs the latch type thing on the body) you might just need to play with that.

but if the cable is broken then a simple replacement shouldnt be too bad. youll spend a saturday fixing her.

RHCP0801
11-15-2011, 07:12 AM
you don't need to replace the cable if it is not working but it sounds like there is a little problem with tab on the door like he said above. I would also apply some grease to the tab to make it easier for the release mechanism to slide across it. If you realize it is a bigger problem, you can always get this http://www.fueldoorfix.com/index.html

Aid1987
11-15-2011, 01:10 PM
thanks. I'll have a look at the weekend. As I can't open to petrol flap at the moment because the lever won;t open it,can I remove the trim in the boot to pop it open from the inside?

RHCP0801
11-15-2011, 01:27 PM
yea you can remove the trim in the back to get to it, just be careful you don't break any of it

mitchlikesbikes
11-15-2011, 02:34 PM
mine was having the same issue but i just sprayed some lube in there and on the tab and it's been fine ever since. definitely try that before you start ripping things apart to get to the cable.

SHG_EasyE
11-15-2011, 09:31 PM
Does the lever feel slack when you pull it? Like there is no resistance in the first part of the pull? That would indicate a stretched cable or a cable with a broken end. Otherwise It could be the door catch like others suggested.