PDA

View Full Version : How does your clutch feel?

mack
11-15-2011, 11:08 PM
Just got my clutch replaced with Exedy Clutch OEM. Paid 1100, I think I paid above average but the shop guys are very reputable. Anyway, what's done is done. It's just that my clutch pedal feels different than before. It's a lot easier to press on the clutch pedal. Much less resistance, seems like the action of it is a lot lighter. What worries me is that the new clutch has less grip. What I mean by this is that it takes longer for my car to start moving by slowly letting go of the clutch. When I also press down on my clutch, it takes a while for it to slow down as well. Before, my clutch was able to grip the car much better. Not sure if that was a normal thing anyway since I got this car in used condition.

How's the action of your clutch pedal?
By just letting go of the clutch, how fast does your car move forward? Does it stop fast as you press the clutch in again? My car more or less still goes forward with the same momentum, slowly does stop though.

Just wanted to know if this is normal.
Thanks.

junevtec
11-16-2011, 09:43 PM
U have to break in the clutch before u can get on it

AKEP
11-17-2011, 03:12 AM
yeah, you wanna give it like 500 miles of normal driving first. mine stays nice, they must have bled your clutch slave cylinder and machined all your pieces. and new tranny fluid. must feel nice. i keep mine fresh every 8k

andyman97
11-17-2011, 06:07 AM
It isn't uncommon for an aftermarket clutch/pressure plate to change the engagement point, you'll just have to get used to it. I have a comp clutch stage 4 and my engagement point is much higher. Took about a half day to get used to but it holds 430 tq no problem.

ep-unit
11-17-2011, 10:17 AM
1100 for parts n labor? Just asking because I need to do mine asap

03_CivicSi
11-17-2011, 02:30 PM
That's how mine felt for a few hundred miles. Woah I could have replaced my clutch 10 times for that much money. Lol

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

mack
11-18-2011, 11:26 AM
The clutch does feel extremely nice. Shifting is a lot smoother. I actually spent some time driving around the neighborhood to get used to the new feel though. Overall, I'm satisfied.

@ep-unit:
When I asked others, it varied between 900-1200. But here in San Diego, the shops all quoted near ~1100. So it might depend where you live as well. Let me also add that, 1100 included a flywheel resurface job on top of a complete clutch replacement. The chunk of the cost comes from labor which was about 750.

03_CivicSi
11-18-2011, 11:34 PM
@ep-unit:
When I asked others, it varied between 900-1200. But here in San Diego, the shops all quoted near ~1100. So it might depend where you live as well. Let me also add that, 1100 included a flywheel resurface job on top of a complete clutch replacement. The chunk of the cost comes from labor which was about 750.

I got my clutch kit on Amazon for $66 shipped,resurface was $40 and I did it myself, but I would charge my friends from 150-250 labor.

mack
11-19-2011, 01:39 AM
dang man should of asked you lol AND you're in socal. haha

03_CivicSi
11-20-2011, 06:49 PM
dang man should of asked you lol AND you're in socal. haha

Haha. I hook all my friends up. I have done quite a few clutches. I hate seeing shops rip people off.

fdnyjon
08-09-2012, 09:00 PM
My clutch was just replaced 330 miles ago.. at first it was really soft and light but now its hard again.. Is it supposed to do this?? I grinded into second like 3 times today :( It feels rough getting into second when i hard shift.. What do you guys think? Let me know ASAP!

Also! The shifting feels real smooth when the car is off.. but when its on the shifting feels harder

poeticfinesse21
08-09-2012, 10:57 PM

$1100 is just insane....I paid $120 shipped for my OEM exedy clutch and $320 for labor and flywheel resurface and I live in chicago. I thought everthing was cheaper in cali or is it just the weed? :smokin:

My clutch was just replaced 330 miles ago.. at first it was really soft and light but now its hard again.. Is it supposed to do this?? I grinded into second like 3 times today :( It feels rough getting into second when i hard shift.. What do you guys think? Let me know ASAP!

Also! The shifting feels real smooth when the car is off.. but when its on the shifting feels harder

Did you get a OEM clutch or stage 1/2/3? When my car starts to do that it means I need to change the trans fluid....then it shifts like butter again :biggrin1:

revned3182
10-13-2012, 12:59 PM
how difficult is it to dismantle and change the clutch by yourself?
does any body have a link for a DIY?

el_puncho
10-13-2012, 01:17 PM
Haha. I hook all my friends up. I have done quite a few clutches. I hate seeing shops rip people off.

Where in SoCal are you located if you dont mind me asking?

sleepy ep3
10-15-2012, 10:15 PM

If you don't have a lift, it's a motherfuc*er.

poeticfinesse21
10-15-2012, 11:38 PM

Here you go:
http://customdc5.my-php.net/diy/clutch/