PDA

View Full Version : Alpine cda7894

ek9jdmhb
01-03-2003, 03:17 AM
O.K. i just bought the alpine cda7894 head unit and i have a question on the install.
1. The alpine harness has a fuse on the yellow wire and and coil something on it, and the black wire has to be grounded to the car. circuit city gave me a whole different harness that totally eliminates the fuse and grounding the the black wire. question is, is it that imortant to have the fuse and grounding the black wire? should i use the hrness that they gave me (which makes install easy because i dont have to solder any wires together) and just use the black and yellow wire with the fuse from the stock harness and solder to the new harness?
2. the guy told me that i should get rid of the orange wire (the wire that adjust with the dimmer) because it could ruin the radio. is that true? thanks

Jpax
01-03-2003, 06:15 PM
The Wire harness that you got is enegineered for the car, so USE IT.

And no i have not had a problem with cd players breaking because of the dimmer. It is a totaly different part of the cd player were its powering a light. not the CD it self. What when you dim your interior lights the cd player will slow down ... :rolleyes:

TravisEP3
01-04-2003, 01:52 PM
Dont even bother connecting the dimmer if you have not already. It caused my g/f's 7894 to be really dim in her 02 civic dx. I think I might have misconnected the dimmer to illumination but imo its not necessary to connect to either now.

ssvr6
05-03-2003, 12:16 PM
This is where I'm at right now. I have an illumination and dimmer left over. I'm assuming these will have to be connected somewhere behind the dash?

Pax, do you have any pics of this?

(BTW--I soldered and then taped mine.)

Steve