PDA

View Full Version : carbon dash kit?

carbonSI
01-03-2003, 08:11 AM
i got the OEM honda carbon dash kit, in the catalog, it didnt look like carbon, or look good at all, but i got it installed, and get compliments every time someone seen it, im VERY pleased with it, and when i get my car washed, im gonna take some more recent pics... until then, ill be round -mike

IceD out N CALI
01-03-2003, 02:37 PM
i might be getting that kit myself, cant wait for the pics

kpxplaya415
01-03-2003, 02:41 PM
:D Haha... Hmm.... gotta see the pics then i'll compliment you :cool:

carbonSI
01-03-2003, 05:49 PM
yep, it has the silver outline around the head unit and the little tray deal, and its carbon all around it, and arond the air-conditioning vents, but the silver outline looks very good it goes very nicley with the door handle silver, all in all, a very nice interior mod :D -mike

most_hatedSi02
01-04-2003, 07:05 AM
I thought about ordering one aswell. I kind of like the silver that the car has and so do most people. I found this kit http://www.handa-accessories.com/civicsi.html
There isn't a picture, so I'm anxious to see how yours turns out.:D

carbonSI
01-04-2003, 07:10 AM
yea, i cant wait to show my ep, its basically stock, but hey! its mine! :D :D weather needs to chill for a bit... -mike

Glix2
01-04-2003, 09:33 AM
That kit isn't real carbon fiber.

carbonSI
01-04-2003, 01:31 PM
"Glix2 That kit isn't real carbon fiber. "

true, its carbon look, but it goes VERY Nicley with the interior.... -mike

most_hatedSi02
01-04-2003, 01:59 PM
What is the big deal with carbon fiber. I see it a lot on websites and forums.

carbonSI
01-04-2003, 02:32 PM
i dont think theres a "big deal" with carbon, some people just like how the look complements, wherever they put it.. i know i do :D and every passenger and person who sees it when they say somthin like "thats a WEIRD shifter! is it hard to shift like that?" then they are like, "Wow, is that carbon fiber too??" :D viva la carbon! haha -mike

Glix2
01-04-2003, 08:30 PM
Why not get the real kit? IPT has a full carbon fiber dash kit out for our cars.

carbonSI
01-05-2003, 09:21 AM
"Why not get the real kit? "

and this "real kit" were talkin about, how much does that run someone? i got mine for the best price :D free, and the si floor mats, hows the "real kit" look anyways? -mike

IceD out N CALI
01-05-2003, 09:24 AM
any pics yet

carbonSI
01-05-2003, 09:44 AM
i mean, i can probly get pics, but the weathers been shitty here for a while, so i been lazy towards my baby, but hmm, i could probly go wash it in a little bit, i gotta see if i got some supplies.... ill be round -mike

Glix2
01-05-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by carbonSI
"Why not get the real kit? "

and this "real kit" were talkin about, how much does that run someone? i got mine for the best price :D free, and the si floor mats, hows the "real kit" look anyways? -mike

Ahh I didn't realize you got it for free. I thought you paid $100 for it or around that (I looked it up).
The real carbon fiber dash kit is $320 but there was a group buy / deal on here from them awhile back. Search for iptdashkits.

http://store3.yimg.com/I/ipt-dashkits_1715_9019339

Here's the link
http://www.iptdashkits.com/20civsicarfi.html

carbonSI
01-05-2003, 11:29 AM
oh see, that kit comes with alot more than the OEM one, and its "real carbon" So that sounds about right... im very pleased with the oem one tho, not too much c/f, and the silver is still in the car :) -mike

BarracksSi
01-05-2003, 11:42 AM
You need to wash the interior? Oh man, what kind of mess did you make in there?

carbonSI
01-05-2003, 11:44 AM
haha my interior isnt too dirty, my floor mats are, but i was just basically sayin, when i take pics, im gonna take a few of em, not jsut the interior, im a lazy ass :D -mike

IceD out N CALI
01-05-2003, 11:50 AM
its all good, i wont judge u on the dirty floor mats jus want to see the dash kit:D

IceD out N CALI
01-07-2003, 05:42 PM
installed the oem carbon fiber dash kit, that i bought from modern-perf today... looks better now. not so much bright silver, except for the radio, which is fine with me. i reccomend it to anyone who wants to enhance the interior.fits perfect:)

fyzm7357
01-08-2003, 11:49 AM
any pics yet for anyone?

carbonSI
01-08-2003, 04:04 PM
ill be gettin photos very soon :D i got my baby back from honda today, shes lookin might fine :D ill take some pics when i get home -mike

JLannoo
01-08-2003, 09:16 PM
I think I'm going to pick up the OEM kit as well.

The silver dash area just scratches way too easy. I just got another one and I have no idea how...its not like I'm climbing on the dash or flailing my arms about. LOL

To those that have installed it. Was it pretty easy to apply? any troubles lining it up correctly etc.

Also I have a lease do you think they will bitch about it if I turn it in at lease end?

IceD out N CALI
01-08-2003, 10:30 PM
it is pretty easy to apply jus be really careful lining up the top and bottom pieces, mine is slightly off (not that anyone can tell) but I can tell. I'm leasing my honda si also. one of the eps the dealer wanted to sell me was one with this exact same kit in it, but u know how they jack up the price like 500 bucks for carbon fiber kit so I said no. you're actually doing honda a favor by having a oem dash kit. when u turn it in they'll cash in and sell it to some customer at an inflated price cuz it is an "extra":)

JLannoo
01-08-2003, 10:46 PM

carbonSI
01-09-2003, 03:21 AM
"I think I'm going to pick up the OEM kit as well."

wonderful choice! I can gaurantee you wont regret it :D -mike

carbonSI
01-09-2003, 03:24 AM
oh yea, i had my kit installed by honda, it took them about 20 min or so, installed free :D should have got the fogs too... :rolleyes: would have been a great price! free haha -mike

most_hatedSi02
01-09-2003, 10:34 AM
They installed your carbon fiber dash kit for nothing. How in the hell did you swing that? They charged me 41.00 to change 2 headlights...(yah I know it's easy) but I don't understand how to do it, if shown i could do it but I'm stupid and had money to blow.

carbonSI
01-09-2003, 10:47 AM
"How in the hell did you swing that?"

my salesman was askin me which accessories i wanted with my EP, and i told him, and he said to bring it in on so, and so date, and i brought it in and they put it in haha yesterady i just got my free inspection/carwash/detailing next one is at 7500 miles or so, cant wait :D -mike

most_hatedSi02
01-09-2003, 01:11 PM
Damn I sure wish they'd do it for me. I'll just take it to my friend's shop...but still I want the dealer to do something besides wash my car for free!

EViLsneakyDUCK
01-11-2003, 01:12 AM
any pics yet? im anxious to see how it looks with the kit

IceD out N CALI
01-19-2003, 07:10 PM
here is a pic i snapped of the oem one- it is a lil blurry but gives you an idea

http://www.digitalpose.com/mbr/1/11008/p/189696_1940429847283310247_vl.jpg

BarracksSi
01-19-2003, 08:02 PM
Hmmm, with a black radio & radio kit, that would look even better...

Not too sure that I like the gaps between the climate control knobs, but I don't see a way to avoid that, either. I'd do something with the blank insert for for the cigarette lighter, too.

Keep us updated if you do anything else.

IceD out N CALI
01-19-2003, 08:10 PM

exactly. it was hard to explain in other posts without seeing it. i think it looks better all dark than with the silver in there. And about that cig. lighter part, not really sure what to do. dont want to paint it (might look too tacky). maybe a sticker or something. any suggestions?

JLannoo
01-19-2003, 11:52 PM
I think it looks good. I'm concerned if I will like how shiny it is. That and... I know you said it was easy to install but I think I might still be able to fack up the job lol. :)

JLannoo
01-19-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by BarracksSi

Not too sure that I like the gaps between the climate control knobs, but I don't see a way to avoid that, either. I'd do something with the blank insert for for the cigarette lighter, too.

Keep us updated if you do anything else.

I dont think it comes back off anyways. So you could take off the panels and shoot some flat (or gloss if you like) black spray paint on those sections before you put the C/F on

IceD out N CALI
01-19-2003, 11:58 PM
yeah i get what you're say'n. i facked it up a tad, but no one can really notice it unless its pointed out and looked at closely.
it is shiny, but its a good shiny, not cheap, hard to do it justice in the pics. like someone else said the carbon fiber is hard to take pics of

Suk02Si
01-20-2003, 12:16 AM
so it looks better in person?

and what's up with your shift knob? it's backwards:D

IceD out N CALI
01-20-2003, 12:26 AM
oh yeah looks better in person.
good observation jus mess'n with the shift knob, but its all good:D

JLannoo
01-20-2003, 05:15 PM
For IceD out N CALI

Does it at all look 3D like I'm told real Carbon fiber does?

Oh and I wasnt commenting on yours looking messed up. Just That I'm sure I could mess mine up lol :)

IceD out N CALI
01-20-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by JLannoo
For IceD out N CALI

Does it at all look 3D like I'm told real Carbon fiber does?

Oh and I wasnt commenting on yours looking messed up. Just That I'm sure I could mess mine up lol :)

hmmm never thought of the 3D, i guess a little bit

JLannoo
01-21-2003, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by IceD out N CALI

hmmm never thought of the 3D, i guess a little bit

Ok, Ive never seen real carbon fiber I just heard it looks 3D.

soniccar
01-26-2003, 08:53 PM
If you want to see how the kit looks, go to this site. They also have the accessory directions available for download.

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/parts/extension/civichatch/02si.htm

BTW, remember that Honda accessories are guranteed a year unless the dealer puts them on, then they are guranteed forever (I always thought it was 3 years, but my last dealer said forever).

I just wrangled with the cargo net. The 2000 EX and Si was easy, the 2001+ Civic Coupe was moderate, but the ep was a real pain cause you have to drill and then you can't get your hands in to put the bolt from the back side. After tearing up my hands, I just taped the bolt to a ruler with a small piece of duct tape and fished it down, then yanked the ruler out.

Be careful taking off the trim piece to install the carbon because the silver face can crack and get scratched easily. Even the dealers have mucked them up (they are only allowed 15 minutes for the install).