PDA

View Full Version : Ground Control Vs.Skunk 2 Adjustables Vs. Raceland

cronicEP
11-27-2011, 06:19 AM
Which is the best bang for the buck...All I want is to go lower without breaking the bank. Hopefully anyone with either of these setups will chime in to ride comfort, adjust ability, and any other things that need to be discussed. If i do end up with the Ground control kit I will put them on my HFP shocks that have about 30,XXX miles on them. I plan at least a 2 inch or lower drop. And yes I searched and did research, I just want fellow hatchers opinions. Thanks in advance guys.

whatsvtec
11-27-2011, 07:28 AM
In your situation with HFP struts, I would try a ground control set-up. Best stiffness for the $$$. As for skunk 2 vs raceland, I would get the racelands. Way cheaper, and atleast the rear spring rate is stiffer than the front.

Don't forget some RCA ball joints for that drop, bump steer is no fun.

ep32424
11-27-2011, 02:45 PM
I had raceland on my ep3 and it's garbage making noisy every where, So I just gave up and ordered tein full coilovers.

AttarixEp
11-27-2011, 04:09 PM
i have raceland on my daily jetta. they make noise over bumps and smooth roads. not to mention the noise. for coilovers you get what you pay for. for just a 2in drop. most lowering springs do about that. then add tokico struts. i had that set up for a while and never had an issue

MugenReplica
11-27-2011, 04:34 PM
1) Ground Control
2) Skunk2
3) Raceland

Just rode around in a Raceland equipped Ep3 this weekend as a passenger in the rear of the vehicle. They were at their highest height setting (which is still VERY low, say around 2" lower than stock) and any large bump that was hit made the back suspension hit their bump stops. If you get Racelands, buy some Swift springs that up the rear ratio 1k and the front 2k. That would make them a more optimal setup IMO. That said, if you have the money for Ground Control, i'd go with their setup.

carrito
11-27-2011, 04:36 PM
I have racelands and so far no problems at all...

sterk14
11-27-2011, 11:57 PM
1) Ground Control
2) Skunk2
3) Raceland

Just rode around in a Raceland equipped Ep3 this weekend as a passenger in the rear of the vehicle. They were at their highest height setting (which is still VERY low, say around 2" lower than stock) and any large bump that was hit made the back suspension hit their bump stops. If you get Racelands, buy some Swift springs that up the rear ratio 1k and the front 2k. That would make them a more optimal setup IMO. That said, if you have the money for Ground Control, i'd go with their setup.

I have racelands and so far no problems at all...
I dont get why the reviews on racelands are so opposite... some people love em and others hate em. ???

02TWSI
11-28-2011, 12:15 AM
It's a quality control sort of thing, some come out great some not. Then peoples taste might prefer a different style of ride.

carrito
11-28-2011, 12:51 AM
S
I dont get why the reviews on racelands are so opposite... some people love em and others hate em. ???
One thing I can tell you is they have a great support service....

PatrickJamesYu
11-28-2011, 03:40 AM
As far as the opposite reviews, everyone has a different perspective
It's like liking orange juice or not.. Some people love it, some people hate it
Shoot, some people might even be allergic to it..

Also, keep in mind, people also have a different definition of "better" and such.
AND many Raceland users have never ridden/driven cars (ep3's) equipped with higher end suspension components/ coilovers.

Ground Control collab Eibach, has a lifetime warranty
The Skunk2's have a 12 month warranty
And the Raceland have a 24 month warranty

**these numbers are just what I remember/believe, I may be wrong, contact the manufacturers**

Because you read one of our reviews on a forum, doesn't mean you "know" it
It just means you read it somewhere and can repeat it.
If you really want to know it, you have be use it, drive it, feel it; you know?

But as far as m input towards your question.
I feel the skunk2's were too untuned with spring rates not really matched for the ep3.
I think all of their coilover sleeves share the same rates, between different cars.
I believe you are able to order custom spring rates.
And the skunk2's use rubber O-ring adapter's for fitment, which is a bad thing in my opinion.

I drove an ep3 about a month ago that had Raceland's installed.
In my opinion, it was quite bouncy. I felt it didn't dampen properly for daily commute.

I currently have Ground Control sleeves on my car, pair with Koni Yellow Sport strut/shocks.
I think the ride is smooth, and they were a good match with my strut/shocks.
They use an aluminum adapter ring for fitment, which you order per strut/shock assembly,
so their fitment is better and more precise than using multiple rubber O-rings.

MugenReplica
11-28-2011, 04:59 PM

It's a quality control sort of thing, some come out great some not. Then peoples taste might prefer a different style of ride.

S
One thing I can tell you is they have a great support service....

I have no problem with the Racelands, except to say they are a cheap coilover that could use a little tweaking to make them a touch more performance oriented. I've installed a set and while i think they are cheap, for their cost, it's better than just buying lowering springs.

To put things into perspective of my opinion, my one Ep3 has Progress coilovers, while my other Ep3 has Ex-Motion Athlete Orange coilovers. One perfect for DD (the Progress coilovers) very nice rebound to potholes/bumps and one more oriented towards track racing (the Ex-Motion Athlete Orange coilovers) which are considerably firmer and not used to road bumps/potholes.

cronicEP
11-28-2011, 07:48 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. I've had progress sport springs on HFP struts for almost 3 years now with no problems at all. I just want a cheap comfortable, daily driven drop. I think I'm leaning towards the ground control sleeves.

It's also like Patrick said, most information on forums is either repeated or is given by someone who has never driven any car but their own.

I also don't like that you have to cut and grind your struts if you want to fit the adjustable sleeves...is that true for all sleeves?

I'd like to make a decision by the middle of December....Thanks guys.

PatrickJamesYu
11-28-2011, 10:12 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. I've had progress sport springs on HFP struts for almost 3 years now with no problems at all. I just want a cheap comfortable, daily driven drop. I think I'm leaning towards the ground control sleeves.

It's also like Patrick said, most information on forums is either repeated or is given by someone who has never driven any car but their own.

I also don't like that you have to cut and grind your struts if you want to fit the adjustable sleeves...is that true for all sleeves?

I'd like to make a decision by the middle of December....Thanks guys.

You don't HAVE to cut them, but it makes it cleaner fit
It cuts dead weight, and the stock spring seat, that is much much too wide for the Ground Control sleeves.

I'll post a picture of my struts I cut when I stumble upon a pic of them

cronicEP
11-29-2011, 07:19 AM
You don't HAVE to cut them, but it makes it cleaner fit
It cuts dead weight, and the stock spring seat, that is much much too wide for the Ground Control sleeves.

I'll post a picture of my struts I cut when I stumble upon a pic of them

thanks buddy....

whatsvtec
11-29-2011, 09:30 PM
To talk about something I have experienced. Tein basics are a nice stiff ride that doesn't compromise comfort.

cronicEP
11-30-2011, 08:00 PM
To talk about something I have experienced. Tein basics are a nice stiff ride that doesn't compromise comfort.

too much bank for me, wife would hang me...

j0000stin
11-30-2011, 11:19 PM
racelands are hit or miss. skunk 2's are garbage, and ground control sleeves are good if paired with a good strut. even then i'd be better to just get full coilovers

1fasthb
12-11-2011, 12:46 PM
i have had skunk2 sleeves on my car for like 8 years and my car rides stiff and not bounce at all ride perfect to me, gunna try racelands tho someday

dirtyMETHOD
02-23-2012, 09:09 PM
So, what set up did you end up with?