PDA

View Full Version : Megan Coilover Problem

theMan_ny
11-28-2011, 10:24 PM
Alright so I picked up Megan coilovers about 2 weeks ago and when I bought them they were really dropped. There were no noises, no nothing but as soon as I lifted the car up a bit it started making some weird noice everytime I turned (left or right). It only comes from the passenger side. It seems to me like the spring rubs or something. Well, I kept searching for a solution but came up short. I lubed up the coilover and it didnt get any better.. So I now have decided to upload a video and an image.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxi77qCgt3Q
and here's an image of what i've tighten and loosen up. Everytime I loosen up the bolt it goes away but when I tighten it back up it comes back.
Any help will be gladly appreciated..

theMan_ny
11-29-2011, 04:41 PM
Anyone?

Calvinep3
11-29-2011, 09:52 PM
http://www.meganracing.com/tech/faqs.asp?id=37&subject=CDK:%20Why%20do%20I%20hear%20noise%20from% 20coilovers?

theMan_ny
11-30-2011, 12:18 AM
I found that earlier. Thanks. :)

civic sir f1
12-07-2011, 12:24 AM
my megan's do the same thing. its coil bind i can not get rid of it either. mine is the front right. am thinking of gething a set of raceland coilovers. and sell this things. if u find a fix do tell us its weird. but am done trying to fix this things my coils have less than 500 miles on them i just parked the car and its been sitting in the garage for like two years after this issue i gave up on the car. it just sits there.

willy_akino
12-07-2011, 02:44 AM
im having the same problem on my megan coilovers its coming from the driver side. i was thinking the same thing and selling mines and get a set of racelands

theMan_ny
12-07-2011, 11:37 AM
I've been searching and came across a forum and there was a guy who posted this as a solution http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HAL-7888-109/ I haven't ordered this yet because I'm kinda broke right now but if someone wants to try these out go ahead.
Does anyone else have like a rattle coming from their coilovers when coming to a stop or from a stop? Even after making sure that the top nut is torqued down?

Andrew
12-07-2011, 01:56 PM
I've been searching and came across a forum and there was a guy who posted this as a solution http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HAL-7888-109/ I haven't ordered this yet because I'm kinda broke right now but if someone wants to try these out go ahead.
Does anyone else have like a rattle coming from their coilovers when coming to a stop or from a stop? Even after making sure that the top nut is torqued down?

i had these set of coilovers. i think to be honest you might have the version 1s? did you get it from EP_EJAY or whatever? yeah his car was dropped to the floor, but i'm sure it's the preload coming loose because mine came loose every time i started to get the popping noise. i constantly had to keep tightening it. i say dont even fuck with racelands and drop the dough to either replace the fronts or buy new fronts which is about the same price as racelands since racelands are almost 350-400 now. just my 2cents

theMan_ny
12-11-2011, 05:10 PM
I didn't know there were different versions :( and yeah I bought them off him. I'm positive it is not. I adjusted them so that they not move vertically and I locked the perches pretty damn tight. How do I go about replacing the fronts?

Andrew
12-12-2011, 04:12 PM
I didn't know there were different versions :( and yeah I bought them off him. I'm positive it is not. I adjusted them so that they not move vertically and I locked the perches pretty damn tight. How do I go about replacing the fronts?

contact megan racing

jayzuz
01-10-2012, 08:28 PM
i have the same problem with my adjustable skunk2's..i bought coil isolators at the honda dealer and fixed my problem.

theMan_ny
01-10-2012, 10:18 PM
i have the same problem with my adjustable skunk2's..i bought coil isolators at the honda dealer and fixed my problem.
Can I ask how much you payed? I can get rid of it for two weeks but it always just comes back to haunt me. :(

jayzuz
01-21-2012, 10:17 AM
it cost me 7 dollars each at spreen honda in loma linda CA...has worked good for me so far

jayzuz
01-21-2012, 10:33 AM
look my car would only that noise on the passenger side like in your case..after looking at both coils i noticed that the passenger side didn't have the isolator(rubber thing) like the passanger side did..so i bought two at the dealer..put them right on and no more noise..it worked for me i hope it works for you..(keep in mind that the part at the dealer is for stock spring but so it might be a bit bigger but should work)

jayzuz
01-21-2012, 10:47 AM
5660 its number 2...rubber seat is what its called....pic is really small here the link http://www.spreenhonda.com/parts/parts-department/

civic sir f1
02-06-2012, 01:00 AM
any new info on this problem with the pop from the passenger side?

theMan_ny
02-06-2012, 01:13 AM
Yeah sorry I didn't update this. So after about 3 months of having to deal with that annoying shit I decided to grease the top and bottom of the spring. I also took off the noise prevention cushions (top and bottom; they were glued on there I think) and put grease there too. But I also found that over torquing the nut on top by the damper adjustment makes the matter worse. I occasionally get a bind but it's almost never now.

theMan_ny
02-06-2012, 01:17 AM
I used Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease btw.

rd02SiR
02-06-2012, 06:33 PM
i've been getting the same noise for quite a while now. It comes and goes, usually comes back after it rains. I've tried greasing, tightening, loosening and noting seems to work. I just learned to deal with it lol .

Sometimes i'll get memory steer, where it will kinda pull to one way after a hard crank turn.

theMan_ny
02-06-2012, 06:44 PM
Sometimes i'll get memory steer, where it will kinda pull to one way after a hard crank turn.
I think mine does that too. The steering wheel doesn't line up perfectly some days, and some days it does.
BTW, did you disassemble the whole coilover and greased it up? Or did you do it the lazy way? (<-Thats what I did.)
And I also did notice that the problem became worse when it rained.

rd02SiR
02-06-2012, 06:51 PM
I think mine does that too. The steering wheel doesn't line up perfectly some days, and some days it does.
BTW, did you disassemble the whole coilover and greased it up? Or did you do it the lazy way? (<-Thats what I did.)
And I also did notice that the problem became worse when it rained.

Lazy way!! lol. I just loosened the spring enough so that i could get some grease under and on the rings.

I've even tried pre-loading the spring as much as i could, but that didn't work either. I'm just so sick of trying to deal with it now, that i just leave it. I'm too lazy to take the whole coilover apart to install a few washers.

theMan_ny
02-06-2012, 07:01 PM
Lazy way!! lol. I just loosened the spring enough so that i could get some grease under and on the rings.

I've even tried pre-loading the spring as much as i could, but that didn't work either. I'm just so sick of trying to deal with it now, that i just leave it. I'm too lazy to take the whole coilover apart to install a few washers.
LOL. Yeah dude IDK, I feel like I should have waited and bought other coilovers but what is done is done. Hopefully you can find a solution for yours. For the preload, what I did was, tighten it until it didn't move vertically anymore, but just barely. It still spins freely, but it doesn't go up or down. Maybe, try not to compress it as much.

rd02SiR
02-06-2012, 07:03 PM
LOL. Yeah dude IDK, I feel like I should have waited and bought other coilovers but what is done is done. Hopefully you can find a solution for yours. For the preload, what I did was, tighten it until it didn't move vertically anymore, but just barely. It still spins freely, but it doesn't go up or down. Maybe, try not to compress it as much.

Yeah thats how i ended up doing it. But you just took off those plastic rings? top and bottom? Did you take the whole thing apart or hack at it?

theMan_ny
02-06-2012, 07:16 PM
Yeah thats how i ended up doing it. But you just took off those plastic rings? top and bottom? Did you take the whole thing apart or hack at it?
Yeah those black spacers that are on there. On mine they seemed to be glued on there. I was careful taking them off because they seem like they can break. I greased them on top and bottom. Heres a picture and the arrows are where I used the Mobil One Grease.
http://i43.tinypic.com/20f9fna.png
I should add that I loosen the nut by the damper adjustments and just barely torqued them. I didnt apply much torque at all.

rd02SiR
02-06-2012, 07:40 PM
Yeah i did the same with the nut under the dampner adjustment

theMan_ny
02-06-2012, 07:51 PM
I wish I could help you more bro. The very last thing I would say to do is clean the whole coilover kit. If there is dust and other shit on the ends of the spring and in between the cushion, that could cause some binding too.

rd02SiR
02-06-2012, 07:57 PM
I wish I could help you more bro. The very last thing I would say to do is clean the whole coilover kit. If there is dust and other shit on the ends of the spring and in between the cushion, that could cause some binding too.

yeah i don't think i'll mess with it unless it gets worse. Thanks for the tips!

theMan_ny
02-07-2012, 05:30 PM
Alright cool man.

epheist04
02-09-2012, 03:32 PM
thats happening to me too! wtf!?

Black_Ep3
02-10-2012, 09:21 PM
I just recently put my front eibach coilovers on and it was because didn't have that black rubber bushing that goes on top! and it was making that same noise for about two weeks until it rained and all of a sudden it went away but i'm getting the same coilover/shock set you have next week i hope to not run into the same thing!

theMan_ny
02-10-2012, 11:29 PM
If you purchase them, I guess make sure they aren't the V1's. Otherwise you're going to have the same problem but good luck with your purchase. I would suggest greasing them before you install. That way you don't have to worry about it later.

civic sir f1
02-12-2012, 08:02 PM
ok i think i have eliminated the coil bind. key word I THINK. on friday i figured out my top nut was loose as hell i turned it like four times. I tighten the nut good and tight. i raised the car on the lift and found my preload was off. i re preloaded the spring i ran it just like megan says on there wed site. i blew the shock with shop air and made sure every thing was nice and clean. preloaded retorqued the wheel and lowered the car on the floor. settled the car by jouncing it. and driving forward and backward. after it was settled i started to turn the wheel and to my surprise! NO COIL BIND! so i said to my self i will not be happy till i hear it bind again and sure to hell i go and get changed and when i pull my car out the shop i get one small bind.

I started to laugh and i said oh well. that was the last coil bind i have heard. i have been driving the car all weekend and no bind. none i think i settled in. now the black spring insolaters were ok not torn. just cleaned them and made sure they were dry. then i cleaned the spring and made sure it was nice and smooth. then looked at the red spring seat and found it was scored i think this was due to the strut not being put together right. so i made sure it was smooth i cleaned it with a small file. so after driving all weekend around town and back roads of Laguna Seca i think its fixed. if i find any other stuff with these coils all post it or u guys can send me a msg.

now i need to invest in motor mounts they are torn to hell i inspected them also on friday and they are no good. so here goes $400 dollars on red 60a street inovative mounts all four
and then install my type r shifter assembly. with the aluminum shifter bushings. and keep driving it like i own it.

theMan_ny
02-12-2012, 10:00 PM
Nice! I think I need to adjust my preload too. Although when I've done it, I believe my drive side is more compressed than the passenger side. Was this true with yours too? But anyways I'm going to give them a good cleaning as well and hopefully mine will go away forever lol.

civic sir f1
02-13-2012, 02:45 PM
i haven't messed with the drivers side i did check the top nut and it was tight. i did check preload and seamed ok i measured the spring on the driver side and i made sure passenger side was the same as driver. ya it should be nice and clean it should not need any lube. i say that cuz driver side does not have any lube. and has been fine since the first day. what part of cali. are u from? let me know how things go for u.

theMan_ny
02-17-2012, 06:52 PM
I had the chance to work on my car today and I (hopefully) got rid of the coil bind completely. I took the coilovers off and cleaned them down from the grease I applied and all the dirt that was building up. When I was disassembling them there was a lot of dirt and other shit so I clean and washed the parts I could. When I was putting it back together I was looking at the diagram I posted earlier and saw that I didn't have the washer that went on top by the top nut. So I temporarily put something there and assembled the coilovers and when I went to go test the car out, not one sound, not one clunk, not anything came from the front. Hopefully I fixed the problem forever.

rd02SiR
02-17-2012, 08:38 PM
So you took the strut out and added a washer to the top nut? Or can I undo the top nut under the adjustment and add the washer there?

Sent from my awful auto correcting iPhone using Tapatalk

theMan_ny
02-17-2012, 09:27 PM
You don't have to. I did it because my coilovers were dirty but yes just undo the top nut and add the washer. Hopefully it works for you.

epheist04
02-23-2012, 09:30 PM
I tightened the nut and the noise went away!! Thanks bro!!

theMan_ny
02-23-2012, 10:59 PM
I tightened the nut and the noise went away!! Thanks bro!!
Glad this thread was a help to you. :msmile:

ImportCustomx
02-24-2012, 07:29 AM
Random question...

Has any tried contacting the Manufacturer?

theMan_ny
02-24-2012, 10:15 AM
I tried but damn they take forever to respond. Plus I wasn't the original purchaser so I think they can only help so much..

ImportCustomx
02-24-2012, 01:39 PM
Yea, i know how that is. i would still email them and copy and paste this thread. When there are threads about products it tends to get that squeeky wheel a little oil if you know what i mean.

sounds like you guys have it under controll though.

right now my oem suspension with eibachs is a little squeeky..fuckin hate it..but i am going to Skunk2 Pro-c's in a few months. Had 2 sets on my crx's and loved em.

civic sir f1
05-11-2012, 06:56 PM
sounds like all is fixed here! my coils have been good no bind. how about ur guys? there hasn't been a single question for a few months.

theMan_ny
05-11-2012, 08:40 PM
I gave up after it came back. They were good for a whole month after I put some washers but they tore up. I tried contacting Megan but didn't get a response. At this point, I'm done messing with the car. I've been thinking about selling it and getting an E46.

civic sir f1
05-14-2012, 08:26 PM
e46 be real careful man i work on bmw's and a clean e46 is hard to find. and if u find one get a car fax. and if u find one make real sure that the wireing is not hacked up. u ever owned a bmw before? i have been working on them for 7 years and to this day i still can't put my self in one. Great handeling car the best!!. but u better have the ends to keep it maintained that is no joke. well am sorry that ur megans just don't get quiet on u.

theMan_ny
05-21-2012, 09:37 PM
Yeah my girlfriend has one and my friend has one. They're both 330i's and I LOVE the way they handle. I really really want an Imola Red 330i ZHP :mtongue: and since going to Bimmerfest, I can't get them out of my mind. LOL
& an update on the Megan's, I think I really got rid of it now. I bought some plastic washers since the rubber ones kept tearing apart. Hopefully this works. :mcool: