PDA

View Full Version : Winter Tires - What Do You Use?

StimulisRK
11-29-2011, 06:28 PM
I have a set of barely used Bridgestone Blizzaks I can get for $250, or my friend at Sears can get me brand new Firestone Winterforces for about $200. I've heard Blizzacks work better but Winterforces last longer.

I got old civic rims to put them on, so i'll be running 185/70/14

What have you guys used and liked/suggestions?

bearcat91
11-29-2011, 06:49 PM
blizzaks hands down!

RotaryGreg
11-29-2011, 07:33 PM
you should absolutely get the blizzaks man. they are great tires. Personally, I like yokohama IG20s. To me, its IG20s or Blizzaks or I park the car for the winter. Winterforces are for snow in my experience. They dont deal well with icey roads or driveways like blizzaks or IG20s do and they are also noisey as hell.

as for wear...we arent talking like 10 winters vs 1 winter...you'll likely get 2-3 on the blizzaks or IG20s if you drive as much as I do in the winter. or 3-4 on the winterforce. but whats the point in having winter tires that last if they cant handle ice? You just have make sure you get them off when the season is over and dont piss around on them for an extra month or 2.

AttarixEp
11-29-2011, 08:00 PM
i've driven on blizzaks, michelin x-ice, goodyear ultra grip ice, a few of the dunlop sp winter series, general altimax artic and some other cheaper brands not worth mentioning. (i work in automotive and its tire season in the northeast. everyone is buying and putting on snow tires, sometimes i get the chance to drive them!) blizzaks are best for performance, michelin and goodyear are best for all around get you around along with certain dunlops, general and some dunlops are best for deeper snow, like mountain road driving.