PDA

View Full Version : $1k DD Coilover Setup?? (links and prices inside)

nitrious
11-30-2011, 10:21 PM
I'm looking for a good all around more or less full coilover setup. Have about 1k to spend on suspension, will spend a few more hundred if its worth the extra money.. Just want a good DD lowered setup and the possiblility to be slammed for events and/or the weekend just to have the stance..:mtongue: (i know its bad but i can't help i like the look... and if suspension wount allow it to go that low, oh well not a big issue.. :mwink:)

Also if anyone has bought the rsx versions and used their tie rod ends.. hear they last longer? anyone confirm that/any feedback on how thats turning out ? :shrug:

Ok down to it.. prices are courtesy of CoreSport and THMotorsports..:thankyou:

02-05 Civic Si BC Racing Type BR Coilovers - $1,000.00
http://www.corsportusa.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_17&products_id=3288

02-05 Civic Si Buddy Club N+ Spec Damper - $1,195.00
http://www.corsportusa.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_17&products_id=2127

02-05 Civic Si Buddy Club Racing Spec Damper Kit - $1,579.00
http://www.corsportusa.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_17&products_id=205

02-05 Civic Si Megan Racing Street Series Coilover Damper Kit - $880.00
http://www.corsportusa.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_17&products_id=2731

02-05 Civic Si Progress Competition Coil-Overs - $1,189.00
http://www.corsportusa.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_17&products_id=483

02-05 Civic Si Skunk2 Pro S Full Coilovers - $685.00 ( New from a friend no upper pillow ball mounts)
http://www.corsportusa.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_17&products_id=7018

2002-2005 Honda Civic Si D2 Racing RS Coilover System - $900.00
http://www.corsportusa.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_17&products_id=15523

TEIN Dampers - Type Basic - $1,007.00
http://thmotorsports.com/tein/tein_dampers_type_basic/dsa22luss2/i-34946.aspx

TEIN Dampers - Super Street - $1,165.80
http://thmotorsports.com/tein/tein_dampers_super_street/dsa22kuss2/i-35350.aspx

TEIN Dampers - Super Street (with Upper Pillow Ball Mounts) - $1,313.70
http://thmotorsports.com/tein/tein_dampers_super_street_with_upper_pillow_ball_m ounts/dsa222uss1/i-36019.aspx

TEIN Dampers - Type FLEX - $1,782.00
http://thmotorsports.com/tein/tein_dampers_type_flex/dsa226uss1/i-35003.aspx

powdbyrice
11-30-2011, 10:53 PM
read every other "what coilovers should i buy" thread. your answer can be found in there.

everyone has $1000 to spend cause thats just what coilovers for this car cost. more or less, you're getting the same thing. it comes down to what anodized color you want.

j0000stin
11-30-2011, 11:07 PM
get the skunk 2 pro s. best coilovers on the PLANET!

RedSiBaron
11-30-2011, 11:11 PM
or go koni+ground control, and have an amazing handling car

makavelibranded
11-30-2011, 11:34 PM
everyone has $1000 to spend cause thats just what coilovers for this car cost. more or less, you're getting the same thing. it comes down to what anodized color you want.

Thats completely false,.. Theres great, good, and bad coilovers. Strut design, Spring rates ect ect, there not all the same,.. but with that said hes only looking for looks so I recomend those $200 ebay coilovers that drop you to the ground.

nitrious
11-30-2011, 11:52 PM
read every other "what coilovers should i buy" thread. your answer can be found in there.

So what are you running mr Hella Flush n hows that working for yas?? ..hella flush would b nice if i could keep it 24/7..

Thats completely false,.. Theres great, good, and bad coilovers. Strut design, Spring rates ect ect, there not all the same,.. but with that said hes only looking for looks so I recomend those $200 ebay coilovers that drop you to the ground.
No what i said is i want to lower the car so i don't have that ugly 4x4 wheel gap.. would like it to give me a dumped look from time to time.. but def not for DD.. so i'll pass on the hit n miss 50/50 hate it or love it feedback from noisey racelands..

get the skunk 2 pro s. best coilovers on the PLANET!

Read that Sk2's don't have the best damper to spring stiffness ratio.. can u confirm or deny this ??

or go koni+ground control, and have an amazing handling car

I don't trust myself to have the proper spring rates.. you've got any to recommend ?

27rocks
12-01-2011, 08:08 AM
One thing to keep in mind that when you lower our cars you MUST get an alignment. And the best part is if you want to SLAM it on the weekends or for a show you MUST get an alignment lol. Our cars suck in the way that if you mess with the suspension in any way you have to get an alignment again cause it messes everything back up. This pretty much goes with any car theoretically it's just that on our cars this is magnified quite a bit.
Just something to think about...

BlownSi05
12-01-2011, 10:35 AM
I put the BC Racing Type BR coils on my car with an SPC rear camber kit and JDM Integra Type-R rear sway bar. Had an alignment and corner balance done on old school racks and the car was lowered just shy of 2". -.75 camber on all four corners and 0 toe for DD. Car handled great, ride was not bad, and looked hot. My friend w/ a 400whp Turbo 2006 RSX-S with TEIN FLEX and the TEIN EDFC (this car was also corner balanced) said it felt just as good as his did through the turns.

But to re-iterate what RedSiBaron said, if you want a really good setup compared to price......Koni Yellows w/ Ground Control Springs.

powdbyrice
12-01-2011, 01:44 PM
the only ones that i would classify as "bad" are the junk2's (backwards spring rates). slight variations in spring rates (comparing street to street and not to track). number of "clicks" to adjust. rebound/damping both controlled by the same knob. looks pretty much the same to me. with that said, i would go with progress for adjustable, mugen/hfp for oem replacements.

So what are you running mr Hella Flush n hows that working for yas?? ..hella flush would b nice if i could keep it 24/7..

No what i said is i want to lower the car so i don't have that ugly 4x4 wheel gap.. would like it to give me a dumped look from time to time.. but def not for DD.. so i'll pass on the hit n miss 50/50 hate it or love it feedback from noisey racelands..

Read that Sk2's don't have the best damper to spring stiffness ratio.. can u confirm or deny this ??

hella flush is ghey.

i ran HFP.

j0000stin
12-01-2011, 02:54 PM
s2's coils are shit! dont buy em i was just fucking around with you haha

b_ron
12-01-2011, 04:56 PM
not sure if people are bashing skunk2's because the spring rates are backwards, everyone else says they're horrible, or they actually rode one installed on their car

one of my buddies has skunk2's on his but i cant say anything about them since i havent drove it

powdbyrice
12-01-2011, 10:27 PM
you are correct. they are the only coilovers that have the spring rates reversed.

makavelibranded
12-01-2011, 10:32 PM
not sure if people are bashing skunk2's because the spring rates are backwards, everyone else says they're horrible, or they actually rode one installed on their car

one of my buddies has skunk2's on his but i cant say anything about them since i havent drove it

Backwards spring rates = understeer on this car riding in a car is irrelevant its when you try to push your car you find out if a product works or not,.. non of skunk 2's products get the testing they should. Its why they wont be around for much more considering there usually known on car forums as Junk 2 unfortunatly.

the only ones that i would classify as "bad" are the junk2's (backwards spring rates). slight variations in spring rates (comparing street to street and not to track). number of "clicks" to adjust. rebound/damping both controlled by the same knob. looks pretty much the same to me. with that said, i would go with progress for adjustable, mugen/hfp for oem replacements.

hella flush is ghey.

i ran HFP.

Tiens strut design are crap for the price considering you can get buddy clubs coilovers and get a huge improvment in design over those for the price,.. also the mugens are much better then the teins surprisingly. And I agree with the progress coilovers or Mugens, only reason I went with the Buddy Clubs was cause of Autocross, there the best coilover you can get for the ep, and the deal helped out alot lol.

nitrious
12-01-2011, 10:48 PM
One thing to keep in mind that when you lower our cars you MUST get an alignment. And the best part is if you want to SLAM it on the weekends or for a show you MUST get an alignment lol. Our cars suck in the way that if you mess with the suspension in any way you have to get an alignment again cause it messes everything back up. This pretty much goes with any car theoretically it's just that on our cars this is magnified quite a bit.
Just something to think about...

yep and alignment is always in the back of my head.. i hate gettin into a car w/ messed up alignment.. i can tell right away.. i've been taking hard turns lately and i've been feeling the steering alil funnay.. not much.. are a few hard turns on the daily going to effect steering ??

I put the BC Racing Type BR coils on my car with an SPC rear camber kit and JDM Integra Type-R rear sway bar. Had an alignment and corner balance done on old school racks and the car was lowered just shy of 2". -.75 camber on all four corners and 0 toe for DD. Car handled great, ride was not bad, and looked hot. My friend w/ a 400whp Turbo 2006 RSX-S with TEIN FLEX and the TEIN EDFC (this car was also corner balanced) said it felt just as good as his did through the turns.

But to re-iterate what RedSiBaron said, if you want a really good setup compared to price......Koni Yellows w/ Ground Control Springs.

Thanks!.. i've read a good amount of feedback on the BC Racing Type BR coils.. i'm leaning torwards these or the Progress Coils.. and considering those koni yellows and ground control.. the koni/gc setup is/was all the rave on the dc2's.. wen i had one that is.. just not alot of feedback on the ep side.. so, whats a good gc spring rate for the ep??

hella flush is ghey.

i ran HFP.

Cool, i thought sk2's were not the best.. thanks for clearing this up for me!!

I'm considering the used mugen suspension in the wts section...what you think, they good for the price that they goin for ?..

s2's coils are shit! dont buy em i was just fucking around with you haha

LMAO!! ..tyvm..

27rocks
12-02-2011, 08:07 AM
Well yes you will feel it pretty much even just going straight, but the most important part is you will be wearing down your tires really really fast.

powdbyrice
12-03-2011, 12:19 AM
Cool, i thought sk2's were not the best.. thanks for clearing this up for me!!

I'm considering the used mugen suspension in the wts section...what you think, they good for the price that they goin for ?..
with the mugens, the only thing is, ride height isn't adjustable, so no dumping the car. they drop the car ~1.0-1.25" and ride on the firm side, but not uncomfortably so. people who have them say they are a good balance of daily driver and capable track setup.

G-MaC!
12-05-2011, 11:34 AM
If you are looking for right smack in the middle between performance and comfort I highly recommend A-Spec. Lowers ~1.0 inch, and greatly reduces body roll and gives the car a much better feel. Also won't quite run you into the $1000 mark, but more like $800. I have them on my car.

o2ep3
12-05-2011, 03:13 PM
i have tein ss and i have never had any problems with them. i auto x them for three years and ran at pocono with them. along with type r rear sway and a em2 front sway with camber kit and crash bolts and hoosier race tires. the car is very competitive in its class. and i daily drive my car its very fun when you want it to be. i agree with you needing a alignment asap with any suspenion modofications. no mater what name product you buy without a good alignment its junk and will not perform the ways its designed to. and if your gunna slam your car their will be further upgrades needed to also handle as you desire.

Euro-Yellow-Ep3
12-06-2011, 07:19 AM
i choose d2 street coilovers, there not crazy stiff perfect for a street use.

ep3jd
12-06-2011, 08:39 AM
+1 for D2, I put a set in my friends rsx-s and it rode beautifully

Tortoise
12-07-2011, 07:24 AM
Im personally planning on going with D2's. One of my buddies just got them for his 95 civic coupe and i love them. They handle and ride great and can also be set to ride reallly nice or stupid stiff. Ive ridden in many setups such as skunk2,ground control,tein,ksport and D2 has been my favorite so far with tanabe sustecs not far behind. Only thing with those is they dont have adjustable dampening.

nitrious
12-07-2011, 11:15 PM
oh D2's i've also hear a bit about D2's, so they say there 36 way dampner and rebound adjustable monotube full coilover system.. do they come fully assembled with top hats n all ?? any other D2's out there?
also anyone else running mugens or A-Spec out there that would like to submite there .02 cents?? I'd have to use Rsx tie rod ends for A-Spec is that right? would that be all or is there other stuff aswell..???

ep3jd
12-08-2011, 07:06 AM
You need to either run rsx trailing arms or shave the bushing on the bottom of the rear suspension as they are slightly larger then the ep3. There's a sticky thread about it.

03civicdopejmd
12-08-2011, 10:12 AM
you need rsx tierod ends aswell.. I had BC BR-racing coilovers on my coupe, and they ran great! I have them forsale aswell, theyll fit the ep... 5k on them!

You can also try looking for a nice set of used buddyclub rsd's- just tune them down for street use..