PDA

View Full Version : Low idle and check engine light on randomly

si03
12-01-2011, 06:21 AM
So for sometime now about 4-5 months or so my car has been having some idle issues. Before this happened my idle used to be at around 1000rpm or so but from a few months ago it's dropped down to about 600-700rpm on idle. Any ideas as to why something like this would happen ?

Also periodically my engine light comes on from time to time. It'll come on I e day than disappear for about a few weeks than it comes back on. I haven't had it checked out because it's not constantly on- on a daily basis. Is this something that I should get checked or just not do anything about it for the time being ?

Thanks

HFPcivicSI
12-01-2011, 07:26 AM
When your CEL comes on, go to autozone or advanced auto, get the code from the diagnostic tool, and post what it is. People cant diagnose a problem for you if you dont post any more information aside from a light comes on/off at random. Personally I think a 1000rpm idle is quite high once the motor is warm.

civicSIracer
12-01-2011, 07:47 PM
whats the code?

si03
12-02-2011, 04:50 AM
I'll check on the code when the light comes back on. As far as the idle goes, I forgot to mention that once the car is warm the idle fluctuates back and forth from 600 to about 700.
The idle keeps jumping between both, it's not a steady idle by any means.