PDA

View Full Version : New to the EP3's, question about code p0171 (I've been researching)

tarathatcher
12-02-2011, 08:41 PM
My car has a check engine light that was on when I got it. (It's an 04 Civic Si...) I had the code scanned at Autozone. It came back P0171. The main symptom I have is after I drive the car a bit, it cranks a long time before it fires. When it's cold, it seems normal.

I have gone over the vacuum lines, replaced the front o2 sensor, installed NGK Iridium plugs, new PCV, and reset the codes. I drove the car tonight and the light stayed off until I went to start it at the gas station. As soon as I cranked it, the light came on. It didn't crank as long as it has before, just a little longer than it should.

My car only has 65,000 miles. I just can't imagine what this issue is. My other Hondas haven't had to have anything replaced, or ever had a check engine light on. (My old hatch has 200k on it)

Any ideas to start with? I'd like to drive this car in 3 weeks to San Antonio, which is 1400 miles. I am hoping to get whatever this issue is fixed. (I don't have a ton of money to put into it)

Thanks,
Tara

Don't know if it makes a difference, but it has a crimestopper alarm on it. I've looked it all over, it appears to be a very clean install.

junevtec
12-02-2011, 09:49 PM
its caused by something in the fuel system being to lean might be a o2 sensor or a injector or something

Draw7Seven
12-02-2011, 10:47 PM
Hey Tara, check out the fuel pressure. This thread ends abruptly, but to me that suggests that might have been this guy's issue:

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?65684-Spudering-stalling-bogging-and-finally-a-CEL&highlight=p0171

AKEP
12-03-2011, 12:49 AM
im not sure if you have any mods or anything, but it would seem like you may have an exhaust leak or a CEL sim on the wrong o2 sensor if its a test pipe. could be a lot of things considering, whether its modded or not. if it was stock i'd say check your injectors/fuel pressure. if not, could be an exhaust leak. the code is tripped when the computer can't add more fuel under its own protocols. it can add up to x% until it trips that code, its so lean it can't add fuel to make up for it. let us know if your si is modded, and what parts.

thanks.

tarathatcher
12-03-2011, 09:50 PM
Everything is stock, with the exception of an exhaust system (which is way too loud). The cat is stock as well. Engine looks like it's never been touched. Are these cars known for fuel issues? Just curious. Now I need to find a fuel pressure gauge and figure out how to use it LOL
Thanks!!