PDA

View Full Version : Knocking/Clicking Noise when turning wheels

Tamerin
12-04-2011, 03:18 PM
So I looked through the forums, and each post that posted about this seemed to go off topic or the issue was resolved but the OP never posted what they did to fix it so I am left empty handed

2002 Civic Si, S/C
- Entire suspension looks stock. Haven't pulled the tire, but when I got underneath, I don't see anything different.
- Same height, as far as I can see.

Other night, driving the same back road home I normally take. Semi, who wasn't supposed be taking that road >.<, in my part of the road, forced me to ride the edge of a corner turn. Well, pitch black and me worried about the truck wiping my butt out, I hit a hole. When I said hit the hole, I literally stopped shortly after thinking I could have popped the tire or bent the rim from the force I hit that damn hole. Nothing.

Lately, I turn the wheel at a stand still, or slowly rolling and I hear a popping/knocking/clicking noise from the right passenger tire. The only tire that hit. I just checked it today since I heard some random rubbing. The inner plastic fender had completely come loose, and I had to replace with a screw cause that was gone.

Anyways, any advice on what I should be looking for? Before I jack the car up, I just want to know where and what I should look like so I am not trying to find a needle in a haystack here.

Any help would be awesome, thanks!

AttarixEp
12-04-2011, 04:32 PM
Bad strut mounts will bind up causing a popping sound when turning. Lower ball joint can do the same. Control arm bushings can make that noise, but usually its when starting or stopping. I've also seen where the axle can pop inside the cv boot when turning back and forth. Rare but it can happen

Jack up the car, get a friend inside it, have them turn the steering wheel left and right to try and recreate the noise. Helps a lot more if you have an automotive stethoscope, but you can be able to tell if the noise is more up top(strut/mount) or bottom(ball joint/control arm), or if its something unrelated to either.

Also possible since you hit the hole, something is bent. Check the other stuff first.

Tamerin
12-04-2011, 05:29 PM
Thanks, no noises when I stop or accelerate.

How can you recreate the noise when you have the car jacked up? Never understood that. When you have the car up, you take the load of the tires, and thus they move easier and freely. haha, either way, I will check when the car is on the ground and when it's in the air as well.

I have the stethoscope actually, thx for the tips. I will have to check them out.

I might take some pics of the different stuff, in case it helps to pinpoint any cracks or anything

AttarixEp
12-04-2011, 05:38 PM
Some instances you won't be able to hear it with the wheels off the ground, usually just in the double wishbone suspensions, not like ours, it's always worked for me though lol. I always test that way(or at work I use our alignment rack with turn plates) to eliminate all the noise from the tires rubbing on the ground.

Tamerin
12-05-2011, 08:50 AM
Aight, thanks.

I'll have to do it this weekend. Sun is never out when I get home from work.

AttarixEp
12-05-2011, 09:11 AM
Aight, thanks.

I'll have to do it this weekend. Sun is never out when I get home from work.

Lol I hear you on that one.