PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent Clutch Pedal Problem (excessive play, hits the floor)

iDom
12-06-2011, 07:56 PM
Background:
- 02 ep3, 168,XXX miles, stock clutch/trans
Ok, so about 2 weeks ago, I was driving my car normally as usual, and I’m coming to a stop so I push the clutch in to take it out of gear and in to neutral.. The pedal hits the floor and doesn’t come back up.. I pull off the road, and lift it up with my hand, and everything is back to normal.. I think, hmm.. Weird. When I go home, I pop the hood and look at my fluid level in my reservoir and it’s above the “MIN” level.. So, it stays on the back of my mind but I just keep it in the back of my head every time I’m in my car after that.
Anyways.. Today I get in my car after work (I live in OH, it’s getting colder and colder every day, it’s about 30-34 degrees) and I go to turn on my car and WOW, my clutch pedal is ALL play except the bottom 2-3 inches where it actually engages/disengages.. It’s bad enough to the point I was having trouble putting it in to reverse, so I keep trying and trying and it eventually goes.. I start driving it and it starts to get ‘better’ but definitely not good.. There’s about 3 inches of play in the pedal before there is any pressure to engage/disengage..

What I’ve Done:
Took it to a friend’s house, we took a look at it and the fluid in the reservoir for the clutch looks old (I should mention I have never changed it, & I have had the car for JUST 3 years now..) But we looked for leaks around the CMC and couldn’t see anything, and as I said, the levels are fine.

What I’m Going to Try:
Change the damn fluid tomorrow, I know I probably should’ve done this right when I got the car, and a few times since then, but I haven’t; being my first car, I knew NOTHING about cars before this so that’s why I haven’t.

What do you guys think? I don’t think I left anything out.. IF I do have to replace the CMC, I will probably get the Omni Power CMC, if you fellow members would advise in doing so.

I have done a bit of research, and I have read that our CMC is actually an inferior design compared to even the prior year EX? Something with an extra chamber to hold more fluid on the ep3 CMC’s that caused them to be faulty? I don’t know, I believe I read something of that nature from talonX.

Thanks to all in advance

ImportCustomx
12-07-2011, 06:53 AM
I daily drive with a stainless clutch line, and the omnipower clutch master cylinder and i have no issues. its a little stiffer, but i like it. i sit in traffic in the morning etc. i have about a 45min-1hour drive everyday..to and from work. no issues for me.

and Yes it sounds like your CMC..i just went through it..while your in there, order a slave as well (30$) and replace that too. my slave went 2 weeks after i did the cmc.

iDom
12-07-2011, 12:47 PM
I daily drive with a stainless clutch line, and the omnipower clutch master cylinder and i have no issues. its a little stiffer, but i like it. i sit in traffic in the morning etc. i have about a 45min-1hour drive everyday..to and from work. no issues for me.

and Yes it sounds like your CMC..i just went through it..while your in there, order a slave as well (30$) and replace that too. my slave went 2 weeks after i did the cmc.

Ok, I also think I remember hearing a problem with the CMC's and an aftermarket heavier-duty clutch/pressure plate? What's the info on that? Because this summer I plan to swap in a k24a2 and of course, a new clutch and new motor mounts.

iDom
12-07-2011, 08:34 PM
UPDATE:

Wow.. Bled the clutch line and got a lot of the old fluid out and all I can say is, wow.. We hooked up a tube and kept pumping the clutch while putting in new fluid and did that for a while.. Here's what came out..

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7015/6474864847_65acce010e.jpg
"Would you like your mocha with 2, or 3 shots of espresso?"

Needless to say, there is a night and day difference in feel. I don't know if this was the problem, but I think it could have been.. When we disposed of the old fluid, it was more of a sludge than liquid.. Kinda mad at myself I didn't do this when I bought the car; who knows if the previous owner ever changed it himself either..

ImportCustomx
12-16-2011, 09:30 AM
I have not heard of any issues, but i havnt looked either. As if you have a high HP car, having your clutch engage almost instant can be good or bad...thats another debate for another day though.

Youll be fine.