PDA

View Full Version : How do I change spark plugs

Bicho6
12-07-2011, 12:37 PM
This is an easy task for many of you, but since I never did it before I would run it buy you guys. Is there something I should know about change the plugs or is it as simple as unscrewing the old and screwing in the new. BTW i'm at 165k miles on the original plugs.. crazy, i know

AttarixEp
12-07-2011, 12:46 PM
10mm
Remove coil pack cover.
Coils 2 and 4 have bolts under the cover to remove.
Pull all 4 coil packs out and lift the harness and coil packs up and over behind the VC.

I believe the plugs are either 17mm or 18mm
Break loose each plug with a ratchet and a long extension(or a few short ones)
Spin them all the way loose by hand.
I usually take a piece of 1/4 hose to catch the nipple of the plug(you'll see what I mean on the new ones)
Then pull each out with the hose.

Install is the same but in reverse.

ImportCustomx
12-07-2011, 12:50 PM
its that simple.

unbolt the black plastic cover

unclip your coil packs

pull out your coil packs

grab an extension with a spark plug specific socket (has the nifty rubber inside)

loosing one plug, remove, replace with a new plug. only hand tighten snugly. do not use a ratchet and socket to reinstall. you dont want to cross thread anything etc. just use your hand spinning the plug into place. once it feels snug, snug it a wee bit more with you hand. move to the next one.

I do 1 at a time, so you dont take out all 4, then have 3 holes open for 2 minutes, potentially knocking shit down into engine.

good luck!

Also you should look into downloading the Honda service manual. if you search the forum you will find it.

Also i am moving this to Engine. Please make note of where you post. if you are posting engine questions..please post in there.

HOW -TO's are ment to be for if you personally made a HOW TO change spark plugs.

edit: attarix ep beat me to it lol. your version is better..has socket sizes.

Pronto
12-07-2011, 01:00 PM
Another easy way to get the plugs out (once you have unscrewed them) is to plug the coil back in and pull the plug out.
Basically going back one step, plugging the coil back on the plug and pulling it out.

Ba82Ep3
12-07-2011, 01:29 PM
Always use a dab of antisieze on the plug threads. Trust me... you dont want to have the headache of swapping heads because youre 'that guy' that had a spark plug sieze in the hole.

AttarixEp
12-07-2011, 01:31 PM
its that simple.

unbolt the black plastic cover

unclip your coil packs

pull out your coil packs

grab an extension with a spark plug specific socket (has the nifty rubber inside)

loosing one plug, remove, replace with a new plug. only hand tighten snugly. do not use a ratchet and socket to reinstall. you dont want to cross thread anything etc. just use your hand spinning the plug into place. once it feels snug, snug it a wee bit more with you hand. move to the next one.

I do 1 at a time, so you dont take out all 4, then have 3 holes open for 2 minutes, potentially knocking shit down into engine.

good luck!

Also you should look into downloading the Honda service manual. if you search the forum you will find it.

Also i am moving this to Engine. Please make note of where you post. if you are posting engine questions..please post in there.

HOW -TO's are ment to be for if you personally made a HOW TO change spark plugs.

edit: attarix ep beat me to it lol. your version is better..has socket sizes.

I do way to many. Lol. Just can't remember the plug size cus I use a standard size spark plug socket. But close enough